The Fda Came A Knocking & I'm Not Even Doing A Business

Business By Carolynlovescake Updated 27 Jul 2007 , 11:01pm by Carolynlovescake

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:45am
post #1 of 27

Step back to mid June. I was quitting my full time job for a few reasons. When I left I handed out a flyer to the coworkers I was close with stating I was going to start a business in the Fall and would appereciate it if they kept me in mind for their special occasions and if they needed a cake between now and when I was licensed that I would do it for free (up to a 1/2 sheet, nothing larger), supplies included.

My last few weeks there I was able to get a lot of e-bay shopping done on unused items for my business.

Well one gal came to me wanting a cake. I told her I'd gladly do it but it would have to be free since I can't charge due to not being licensed and also because I was needing the practice to get back into the swing of things.

Skip ahead to the day before my last day... I got up from my computer thinking I had locked it but hadn't. She realized it, sat down and my computer and proceeded to find the cake pan she wanted and bought it on my e-bay account.

As we were leaving she was like "I owe you for a cake pan before you leave tomorrow." I replied "we'll talk about it tomorrow.". I got home and saw a purchase of a "naughty" cake pan from that day. WASN'T ME!

I get to work the next day and she tells me "oh I forgot to tell you, I saw your computer unlocked and bought the pan I wanted for the cake. Do you want cash or a check for it?" NEITHER!

Hubby said he's part of this business and we will not be doing any adult cakes that we have to bake after hours when our son is sleeping, or anything we have to explain to him or have to gloss over because he's to young to have it explained to him.

Skip to the following Tuesday...

*knock knock*

A screaming baby, a 6 year old on the Wii and me frazzled at only 8:30 am.

He introduced himself was very polite and stated there was a complaint against me for operating an unlicensed bakery.

*sigh*

He looked around and told me it was obvious I wasn't operating a business and let me get back to the kids. He did help me though with what needed to be improved/changed/fixed so when I do apply it is quick and painless.

Once I showed him the flyer he was like "yeah someone is mad at you then because that's how most of these compliants are in this area, someone wanting revenge."

Skip to the next Saturday.

I run into this "woman" (for lack of a better word to use) and she's like "oh hi, I heard the FDA came to pay you a visit."

With an expressionless face and flat tone.. "funny, I haven't told anyone about that how did you hear?"

"well you know how things spread at work"

" I NEVER told anyone at work"

She goes beat red, starts to sweat and stutter and changes the subject. I asked her again how she knew and with shaking hands and a trembling voice tried to get prissy and and changed the subject.

BUSTED! thumbs_up.gif

So for anyone who is operating with out a license and/or permit to operate from your home please note one thing...

It only takes one person who is vengeful person who knows you and gets mad or one upset customer to ruin it for you.

26 replies
CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 7:09am
post #2 of 27

Yea... amazing how some people are like that... That's someone who needs to be turned into your boss for what she purchased on your computer during work time!! (since it doesn't make a difference anymore because you're not there..).. Just remember that in time the karma will come back around to her for what she did.

My DH's work recently got annonymously turned in to the polution control agency for who knows what. About the only thing that has changed is that there are a bunch of little signs all around and a LOT of money out of our pocket to pay for some advisory consultant business to come out and do an assessment that has to be turned into the agency. In other words, a lot of money out of our pocket to say that things are being run as best as they can be.

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 7:22am
post #3 of 27

Wow talk about being a b*tch. The nerve of some people icon_surprised.gif

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 7:31am
post #4 of 27

NICE! Don't you just love it? People do some of the craziest crap! How about turning in someone who is doing something wrong or bad?Atleast you got some questions answered!

A similar thing happened to a friend of mine and it turned out to be a local bakery who was trying to pick off the "competition" by turning her in t the "powers that be". She had made a shower cake for another friend. Well, the local bakery lady (small town) is a friend of the mother of the recipient of the cake was at the shower and says "Who made the cake? Can I have her name and number? I would love to have her work in my shop, she's great!" This womans cakes are not all that great. Well that was not her true intention and a similar thing happened. Not sure if it was the FDA or what. Unfortunately for some people this is the only way that they can do business.

Elle

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 10:59am
post #5 of 27

I understand that we need to be licensed..but to me it's no big deal to practice and give the cakes away...I don't have paying clientel, they bring me the supplies or what not and a lot of them do give me perks (cake plates, pans etc) But what do we do to these people that they think they ought to turn us in! I agree that lady needs a big ole country @ss whoopin icon_biggrin.gif (jmo)

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 11:06am
post #6 of 27

I'm not sure I understand your story. The FDA doesn't have anything to do with licensing bakeries.

goodcakefairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodcakefairy Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:36pm
post #7 of 27

So the person who ordered a cake pan on your account ratted you out to the health department? Why? Is she trying to set up her own naughty cake business?

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:44pm
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

I'm not sure I understand your story. The FDA doesn't have anything to do with licensing bakeries.

I'm sure she was referring to the health department.

Cassie1686 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie1686 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:54pm
post #9 of 27

wow that's a crazy srory, we always hear how people could get in trouble, but oh my gosh!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:57pm
post #10 of 27

This is the exact reason I refuse to do ANYTHING until I am legal unless it's a family cake. So sorry this happened and I am very glad that the inspector was able to see that there were no grounds for the complaint.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:05pm
post #11 of 27

It sounds to me like the gal was ticked off because she bought the naughty cake pan and was then told her cake lady friend wouldn't make the naughty cake. Doncha just want to slap those people funny?

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:21pm
post #12 of 27

sorry that person did such a thing to you!!@ least you know what you have to do now in order to get legal.Some of us on the other hand can NOT afford to get licensed OR buy a bakery So I supose its like waiting to get caught red handed.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:19pm
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

The FDA does license bakeries also. You can skip the health dept and go by way of the FDA. They have a little different requirements than the local health dept, some more strict and some less so. If you sell more than 25% of your product wholesale, you have to be licensed through the FDA. It's mostly for bigger operations but smaller bakeries can do it as well.

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:42pm
post #14 of 27

I had a very nice gentleman from the Dept of Ag come to my home with his associate, a rep from the FDA, when I went through my licensing. The FDA handled all the information in regards to how I package and label my goods.

StephW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephW Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:58pm
post #15 of 27

Hmmmmmm.... at the company I work for - she could get fired for getting onto someone else's computer without their permission. We have filters, so she would have never gotten to e-bay, but she used your account to make a purchase, which is impersonation.

People just amaze me... sheesh!

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:05pm
post #16 of 27

WOW! It's awful how some people can really be!!!! I'm so glad you didn't get into trouble and I'm glad you caught her in her own lie. My question is this... if you are decorating for a hobby (like me) and some friends (or people from your husband's work) ask you to make a cake for them and they will pay you, will you get into trouble? We live on a military installation and I would hate for someone like your coworker to come along and report me. I definitely do not advertise, but only send some "projects" to work with my husband for the office to enjoy.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:10pm
post #17 of 27

WOW!! can't believe how someone can be so low to do such thing. It would have been war for me after finding out about the pan.
What did you do with it btw?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 7:01pm
post #18 of 27

armywife1.. yes.. you could get in trouble for making cakes for friends or co-workers if they are paying you anything (even just for the supplies) if someone reports you. Best to be safe IMHO, but it's all up to your comfort level.

Carolynlovescake Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 9:12pm
post #19 of 27

Sorry about the mix up, it may have been the health department and not the FDA. I remember him saying he was here to inspect my home due to an anonymous complaint about a bakery being operated out of my home and he was with the __________________ *baby sarted screaming in my ear at that point* (I think I was holding her to tight when I realized who he was and why he was here and she was like "hey loosen up that vice grip you have on me lady!")

Either way both are active here. He was official and that's all that mattered.

As for the person who said they accept pans... that is considered payment. It's an exchange of something for something or a compensation for what you are giving.

The nice man made it very clear, if they buy you supplies for the baked good(s) and hand you the bag it's an exchange of goods which equals a business transaction. Any time you accept something for a cake/baked good in return it's considered a financial transaction. Something for something even if it's not money. (petty yes but I do see their point)

Now technically you could give them the pan back with the completed cake, and at a later date they could say "you know I don't need this please take it" or you can do a "can I borrow the pan you bought for this" and not give it back. For me, doing these types of things to get around the lincese is to much back tracking and covering my footsteps to avoid being caught. Especially with one call in already to them about me.

It's a HUGE expense and one that hubby's not happy about. Nor am I really but we either do it right or we don't do it at all.

Besides if you own a home and are licensed to have a home based business many things you never knew can be a write off for your business.

katro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katro Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 9:31pm
post #20 of 27

You know what I love about this story....is that you caught her in her lie. It makes me so mad when people try to be hateful and then try to lie about it. I glad it all has worked out for you and you didn't get into any trouble.

ljudd1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljudd1969 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 9:35pm
post #21 of 27

Wow! That's pretty gutsy! Hmmmm...I wonder why she just didn't order it from her own computer?!? Sounds like she knew it could get her in trouble! I can't believe she tried to rat you out esp since you weren't doing anything wrong. Sad that people don't have anything better to do w/their time than to try and make others miserable (like they are). Sorry you had to deal w/that (esp since you were already having a frazzled morning!). Glad it all turned out ok w/no further hassles for you.

squarepair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
squarepair Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 9:39pm
post #22 of 27

Wow!! Your story baffles me in many different ways. I can't believe the nerve of her buying something off your E-bay account in the first place and then the nerve of her to report you and THEN, most likely, eagerly awaiting the chance to ask you about your "visit", YIKES!!!

Kristin

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 9:40pm
post #23 of 27

WOW WHAT A B****...i would call the job and tell them she bought something from your computer and get her butt in trouble..

I was mean one time ...i used to work at a job and i quit..this girl started working the job i had...i used to be the office manager when i was there...but she had embezzled money from the company...well i started working somewhere else while she was working for the 1st company...after she got fired from the 1st company i had already left my 2nd company...i found out she was working for the 2nd company after i worked there and i called them and told them that she had embezzled money and went to jail for it and they checked it out and fired her the same day i had called...

i hate seeing people get screwed over so what goes around comes around..she has hers coming

oh and its not called revenge if you turn her in..its protecting others from being screwed or getting hurt in the end

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 9:54pm
post #24 of 27

That person Karma is going to come back on her. i am sorry that you had to experiences that. wow.

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 9:59pm
post #25 of 27

CarolynGwen--I respect your husband for his integrity. It restores my faith that there are still decent men out there. Thanks for sharing your story.

AuntieElle -- I think it would be hilarious if the lady who made the shower cake opened her own shop and captured all the business in that little town.
Sounds like she's already good enough, since the baker lady felt threatened.

canoewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canoewoman Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 10:22pm
post #26 of 27

I am lucky that the town I live in actually promotes home based businesses. I am fully licensed and health inspected and can't wait to start full time in the fall. I does bother me that the co-worker actually got onto your personal computer without your approval let alone purchasing something from YOUR e-bay account without even asking you if it was okay. I say her morals are questionable. Let it go. She knows she was caught red handed in the whole thing and since you don't work there anymore let bygones be bygones and carry on with what you want to do, bake cakes!!

Carolynlovescake Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 11:01pm
post #27 of 27

oh and to answer the other question... the ebay seller did let me out of the deal.

I did tell my manager what happened in case IT flagged the purchase. I told her I didn't want to make an issue my last day. They did talk to her but nothing like it could have been.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%