Please Help With Pricing Question

Decorating By Carson Updated 27 Jul 2007 , 7:09pm by indydebi

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:10am
post #1 of 15

I need some help from people who appreciate the effort that goes into cake. I just finished a cake for my MIL(and FYI, she is very cheap). She is buying the cake for a birthday group. At first I was just charging her $15-$20 to basically cover materials, but now I find out that the "group" is buying it. So its only a 6" round so I need to charge appropriately since this group is considering buying cakes from me every month, I don't want them to think I would only charge $15 for something like this, maybe without the flower pot I would consider...

Here is the cake details and pic...
6" round, french vanilla cake mix with french vanilla bc
2 layer
flower pot made of mini wonder mold (I am not happy with it though, I did not get all the ripples out of fondant, I know what to do different now)
the rest covered in mmf, flowers are made from mmf as well.
LL

14 replies
Carson Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:21am
post #2 of 15

I also wanted to add that I'm sorry, I see this topic on here all the time, but I would really love any opinions. I will be checking in the morning before I drop the cake off. THANKS!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:25am
post #3 of 15

The cake is beautiful. With all the work and materials, $15 is waaaay too cheap. If you did it without the flower pot, $20.

Verina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Verina Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:44am
post #4 of 15

Beautiful cake! thumbs_up.gif - (I'm not from USA so cannot help with pricing though)

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:46am
post #5 of 15

Your cake looks great!! I love your flower pot. I think $15 is waaaaaaaayyy too cheap. I would think $30 at the least.

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 11:23am
post #6 of 15

adorable cake. I would charge $65-$75 for that cake. Without the flower pot maybe $40. icon_biggrin.gif

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 11:37am
post #7 of 15

For 6", for that gorgeous cake, I would say min. $30-35.

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:03pm
post #8 of 15

I agree $30-35. Less if there was no flower pot.

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:26pm
post #9 of 15

I would charge $50 for that cake. It is beautiful and you can tell allot of work went into it - even if it is only a 6" cake Don't undercharge yourself or underate your ability.

Carson Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:42pm
post #10 of 15

Thanks everyone! I knew I would get some good advice from here. I just started selling cakes and am trying to figure this all out. I normally would sell a 6" for $20 - but after the work that went into the flower pot I knew I had to charge more for something like this! I think I will charge $35 if anyone orders this cake again. As for my MIL - I asked for $20 - BUT said that this is like my gift to the group (a low introductory price) and I would appreciate repeat business (of course at the full price). There are a lot of potential customers - one that family owns a large company here - so I am trying hard to make them happy! Sorry, my posts are always long - thats what happens when you can type fast I guess, it doesn't take long to get all of this out, no need to shorten!! LOL!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:48pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by moralna

I would charge $50 for that cake. It is beautiful and you can tell allot of work went into it - even if it is only a 6" cake Don't undercharge yourself or underate your ability.

This gets my vote.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:54pm
post #12 of 15

$40 would be more than fair. Beautiful cake by the way...

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:08pm
post #13 of 15

Prehaps this is an dilemma in the making, since your MIL is cheap, maybe the group knows this fact and suggested she score cakes on the cheap.

Also good ethics dictate that prices should be determined before the product is made, you should charge the original price agreed upon with your MIL for this cake and work out a solution for all the other upcoming creations directly with a group representative, and I highly suggest talking to someone other than your MIL so you can get your price.

Carson Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:37pm
post #14 of 15

I agree tiptop57, this wasn't a big dilemma to begin with because my MIL asked me to make a cake that she can give to the birthday girl (I guess woman) as a gift. For HER I would do if pretty cheap and told her so. Then I find out through someone else that a few of them are going to pitch in and pay. You bet that she will not be getting a cheap cake from me for this group again! I will be charging the regular price. I charged her $20 (and had told her originally that I would charge anywhere from $15-$20 for her). I don't really mind too much, I just don't want the rest to think that they will get cheap cakes from me in the future!!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 7:09pm
post #15 of 15

sounds like they are using their neighbor's-cousin's-girlfriend's-best friend's-mother's employee discount! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%