Never Write On Cakes At 2:00 In The Morning

Decorating By melissablack Updated 5 Oct 2005 , 6:18am by ShelbysYummys

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 6:56am
post #1 of 15

icon_cry.gif

I just ruined this huge cake I am making for an order tomorrow. I just had to scrape all the icing off the top of my completely decorated cake, in two patches, because I messed up on the writing, and re-did it... and it (the writing) looks worse than it did in the beginning!! I am just going to go to bed and hopefully when I wake up in the morning I can fix a few letters at least and maybe it won't look so bad. I just can't believe I did this because I've made this huge cake with no problems so far, and I go and ruin it with this butt-ugly writing icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Melissa

14 replies
jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 7:24am
post #2 of 15

Oooh...been there, done that! Sorry this has happened to you Melissa, but you are right because in the morning you'll be able to fix it and it'll look wonderful! icon_smile.gif

tcrema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcrema Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 7:38am
post #3 of 15

Hey Melissa!
I've done it to to to many times. 2 am is just about when I finish my cakes do to the fact I have to wait until my children are in bed before I even start baking. Good luck I know it's going to turn out fine.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 15

Who hasnt done that??? icon_lol.gificon_redface.gif

bigcatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigcatz Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 15

I know exactly how you feel.....things will look better in the morning, you will be able to fix it, and everything will work out fine.

Mjmil7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mjmil7 Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 9:25pm
post #6 of 15

Hi melissablack,

So sorry to hear about your cake. I was up til 2:30 a.m. with a disaster as well. How did your cake turn out and did you post pictures?

Janice

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 11:06pm
post #7 of 15

Ugh. I feel your pain! My writing isn't the best to begin with, and it's always the last thing to do. At that point I just want the cake finished!!

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjmil7

Hi melissablack,

So sorry to hear about your cake. I was up til 2:30 a.m. with a disaster as well. How did your cake turn out and did you post pictures?

Janice

I will post a picture when I get my film back. I am still old fashioned.. no digital camera here! icon_razz.gif

The cake turned out alright, the lady said it was beautiful when she came to pick it up. BUT, I had another 'disaster', that I didn't even realize 'till yesterday... I had lost my notebook where I write down all my orders, but figured I could just write the message by memory, well when I found my book yesterday, I realized that I spelled their name wrong!! I feel terrible! I had her spell it to me twice on the phone to make sure, too, when I was taking the order. icon_sad.gif

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 4:17am
post #9 of 15

Oh heck, Melissa, don't beat yourself up over it. You may be a cake goddess kiddo, but you are not God and we all makes mistakes as we are not perfect, well not always, haha!
Sorry you had such a rough time of it, it seems to go like that, when things go wrong, doesn't it? Get a good rest, it will get better!
Hugs Squirrelly

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 9:01pm
post #10 of 15

writing it the hardest part of decorating. i've done the same several times.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 7:16am
post #11 of 15

I do piping gel transfer for every message I put on every cake, every time. icon_smile.gif I can choose whatever font I want in MS Word, adjust the size, and flip the image. Print, pattern transfer, and pipe. Easy as...pie? icon_wink.gif

Sorry about your writing disaster....I had a few of those before I decided I will never freehand a message on a cake again.

~ Sherri

MoonicaLeigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MoonicaLeigh Posted 27 Jul 2005 , 5:06pm
post #12 of 15

I'm So sorry to hear!! But it sounds like most of us have done it at least once or twice 2 am or later. (I thought I was alone) I have one on here that I just about cried because the writing was so bad! I'm sure that you were able to fix it, and I am sure that your customer wasn't nearly as picky about it as you were! I have noticed that customers wont see all of the flaws that I see and pick out in my cakes. I am sure that they were thrilled!!

sheilaattaway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilaattaway Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 10:03pm
post #13 of 15

Im not sure if you posted it yet, but all your cakes look great to me.

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 8:37am
post #14 of 15

One of the first presents I requsted when I started cakes was a set of Jem letter cutters. I use them for every message I have to put on a cake

ShelbysYummys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelbysYummys Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 6:18am
post #15 of 15

Isn't it sick that we stay up so late to make these cakes and for some reason when we are almost done something happens . I hope they all know the hard work ,love, devotion and sleepless night we put ito our cakes.
Michelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%