Find A Replacement Papertowel For The Viva Smoothing Method

Decorating By punkinpie Updated 27 Apr 2016 , 6:56pm by Jeff_Arnett

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 28

Hi All,

This is my first post - although I have been lurking for a couple of weeks.
Tonnes of great info here. I am talking Wilton Course one and all of the tips etc have been helpful.

I am very interested in the Viva Papertowel method of smoothing buttercream. I have looked everywhere and I can't find it in our area.

Is there something special in the viva that I could look for in another brand that might work?

Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

Alexis

27 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 28

Viva paper towels do not have a texture or a pattern on them like most brands do. I've heard some people talk about using the thicker blue towels used in shops and such, but I don't remember if they are completely textured free.

jillchap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillchap Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 28

I use parchment paper... I allow the BC to crust and then go over it with parchment. Works like a charm. I'm also going to try to do the upside down icing technique for my next cake, hoping for some really sharp corners!

4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4kids Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 9:35pm
post #4 of 28

I have found that parchment paper seems to work easier for me than the Viva method. You can also use computer paper.

Mom_Of_4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_Of_4 Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillchap

I'm also going to try to do the upside down icing technique for my next cake, hoping for some really sharp corners!

What is the upside down technique?

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 28

Hi!! And Welcome to our addiction!!!
I started using those shop towels.. The blue ones.. I found them on sale for 1.50 a roll.. Works perfect!!! and those car shammies.. those work too!! cant wait to see your cakes!

jillchap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillchap Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 28

Mom_of_4, the upside down technique is in the articles section
http://www.cakecentral.com/article6-Upside-Down-Icing-Technique-for-Perfectly-Smooth-Icing.html
looks interesting, and it will be awesome if it works and is foolproof! icon_biggrin.gif

punkinpie Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 11:10pm
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansbaker

Hi!! And Welcome to our addiction!!!
I started using those shop towels.. The blue ones.. I found them on sale for 1.50 a roll.. Works perfect!!! and those car shammies.. those work too!! cant wait to see your cakes!

I so know what you mean by shop towels - we have tonnes of them. My financee is a woodturner and he goes through them like crazy. We have about 6 rolls right now and we are getting low on stock icon_lol.gif Guess he'll have to share them with me now!

I've only made 2 cakes so it may be awhile before I post any pics that I'm willing to share.

punkinpie Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 11:15pm
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillchap

Mom_of_4, the upside down technique is in the articles section
http://www.cakecentral.com/article6-Upside-Down-Icing-Technique-for-Perfectly-Smooth-Icing.html
looks interesting, and it will be awesome if it works and is foolproof! icon_biggrin.gif

I am sooo going to try this. First a trip to home depot for a 'fresh' spackling knife.

Thanks for all of the responses and warm welcome icon_smile.gif

Alexis

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 11:27pm
post #10 of 28

I would be concerned that, as shop towels are not made with food contact in mind, they may have contaminants that you wouldn't want to have leaving a residue on the food.

RP

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 12:58am
post #11 of 28

If you have not tried this---please do. I read on CC to take a credit card and dip it in hot water and then smooth the BC.

I tried it this weekend and it was the best method I have found.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 12:59am
post #12 of 28

Are the shop towels safe to use on food???

This is the first I've heard of them being used to smooth icing?

You might try parchment paper if you don't like viva.....sometimes you can find papertowels with different imprints on them that actually add to the cake.

Good Luck and welcome to CC!!!

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 1:04am
post #13 of 28

The shop towels are almost comparable to Viva. I have had to go downstairs and steal some of my husband's when I run out of Viva and don't want to go to the store.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 7:11am
post #14 of 28

punkinpie....where are you located? None of your grocery stores or Target have the Viva Brand paper towel? if you are close to a home depot then someone surely carries Viva!

punkinpie Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 12:32pm
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundine2

punkinpie....where are you located? None of your grocery stores or Target have the Viva Brand paper towel? if you are close to a home depot then someone surely carries Viva!

I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia. So many things I read about online are not available here and often the cost of paying duty on a purchase mailed across the border makes it too expensive.

Mom_Of_4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_Of_4 Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 2:26pm
post #16 of 28

Wow! I am really anxious to try the upside down technique! Sounds like it would work really well! My birthday is this weekend, so maybe I will make myself a cake and get some more practice in! Thanks!

bunit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunit Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 4:11pm
post #17 of 28

This may seem sad, but sometimes if i'm looking for a little more decoration on a cake, but don't want to add more decorations, I'll walk down the paper towel isle in the grocery store, and just look at the patterns on the paper towels. you can create a lovely subtle design on your cake with patterned paper towels! some even have floral designs, which you could trace out with thinned b/c and color in the flowers! So many things have more than one use!! One tip: I have always used my fondant smoother rather than my hands to smooth out b/c on a cake. You eliminate the bumpy fingerprint effect!! just make big circular motions with the smoother with parchment or paper towel between, of course! Happy Baking! -B.

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 4:15pm
post #18 of 28

You would make Alton Brown proud (sniff... sniff!!) Nothing should be allowed in the kitchen that can't be used for more than one use!!!

Debbi

kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 4:50pm
post #19 of 28

Wax Paper works great and you can get it almost anywhere.

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 7:49pm
post #20 of 28

I also am a fan of the parchment paper. For some reason, I can't see using a paper towel...mainly b/c of the possible "transfer" issue of lint to the frosting

briansbaker Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 2:05pm
post #21 of 28

OMG.. icon_eek.gif I emailed the company about the shop towels being used on cakes..
This is what I wrote: Name: christy Phone: I am a novice cake decorator.. I found a new trick on making a smoother cake using VIVA papertowels.. My question to you is, I found the same texture on your shop towel as VIVA paper towel have.. Can I use this on food? The tip is once the icing has crusted we lay the paper towel down on the icing and smooth it out to get a nice smooth finished cake.. There is alot of talk about "shop towels" may not be safe to use on cake icing.. Hope You can help clear the air in the "cake world".. Christy
This is the response I recieved:
Our wiping products are not intended for direct food contact. Sorry. Please let me know if I can help further. Thank you for contacting Kimberly-Clark.

Had to clear that one up.. Being I was the one who recommended it.. icon_redface.gif Sorry for misled info.. Now I know I CANNOT use the BLUE SHOP TOWELS on food!!!!!!!!!!

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 2:16pm
post #22 of 28

Briansbaker, thanks for checking that out for us. I would have tried it without even thinking about the safety of it.

Diane

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 4:59pm
post #23 of 28

I wonder what Viva would say if asked the same question....

punkinpie Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 5:37pm
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectqueen

I wonder what Viva would say if asked the same question....

I wonder if they would? Kimberley Clarke is the same company that makes Viva.

briansbaker Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 5:50pm
post #25 of 28

oooooooooo ...never thought about that.. I will reply and ask..

amartin1900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amartin1900 Posted 27 Apr 2016 , 2:02am
post #26 of 28

Anyone tried transpancy type plastic sheets? 

Out of viva and it's for cookies

kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 27 Apr 2016 , 12:15pm
post #27 of 28

brainsbaker, thank you for writing the company in regards to the "shop towels".  Since they do not make it for food they have to respond that way, they do not want any repercussions.  Their comment protects them from any law suits.  I do not know if this is true, but this is what I was told from someone who asked a lawyer about the companies response.

Our wiping products are not intended for direct food contact. Sorry. Please let me know if I can help further. Thank you for contacting Kimberly-Clark.

Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/42606/find-a-replacement-papertowel-for-the-viva-smoothing-method#4pt06mpqpyrHtQcb.99

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 27 Apr 2016 , 6:56pm
post #28 of 28

It does work wonderfully...I should know...I created the method!  The only real change I have made in the method over the years to replace the parchment originally called for with plastic coated freezer paper (butcher's paper)....like Reynold's brand.

The plastic coating will release very smoothly and the paper won't wrinkle like parchment did.

Also, to prevent getting air bubbles on top, first spread a smear coating of icing on your board, the come back with a heavier coat and proceed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%