Gift Box Cake....how To Make Tissue Paper Look In Fondant?

Decorating By madicakes Updated 7 Sep 2013 , 8:09am by colette68

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 13

How do you guys get the fondant so that it holds the shape when you use it as the "tissue paper" in your gift box cakes? Also, what type of fondant do you use? I can't imagine MMF would be stiff enough, nor would it dry enough, to make this work. I tried to do a search but it didn't want to work right for me.
Thanks!
Hope

12 replies
fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 13

i am in the process of making one also. Sylvia Weinstock uses rice paper. My box is going to be wrapped in choc. using transfer sheets that say happy birthday. I wasn't planning on using tissue 'till I saw this. Can someone help us?

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 13

In the one I did I used the way Colette Peters does in one of her books.

I took gumpaste and colored it then rolled it super super thin. To where you can almost see through it. THen I cut into squares and then pinched it in the middle as I picked it up. It folds up like tissue paper does.

Then lay it aside to dry and if you need to you can use a bit of paper towel to puff it up in areas. It should dry pretty fast as gumpaste dries much faster then fondant and will dry even faster because it is so thin.

Joanne

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanneK

In the one I did I used the way does in one of her books.

I took gumpaste and colored it then rolled it super super thin. To where you can almost see through it. THen I cut into squares and then pinched it in the middle as I picked it up. It folds up like tissue paper does.

Then lay it aside to dry and if you need to you can use a bit of paper towel to puff it up in areas. It should dry pretty fast as gumpaste dries much faster then fondant and will dry even faster because it is so thin.

Joanne

Thank you so much!!!

Uberhipster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uberhipster Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 2:36am
post #5 of 13

I did a forum search to find instructions on how to make MMF tissue, and found this page. It was so helpful! But for those in the future who are looking for instructions too, there are a couple more things I did that I found helpful...

To have a more full rumpled tissue, I cut up a couple cereal boxes and made some slightly flat cones with wide openings in the tips that I stuffed with kleenex. Then I draped the paper thin MMF overtop and let dry.

After about 12 hours, their form was firm, but they were still a little soft. So I took them off the cones and lay them on their sides, and gently pressed down so there would be like 2 layers of ruffle. Worked very nicely - I just wish I took more care in trimming the edges nicely.

And here's the finished product! (A Godiva replica icon_biggrin.gif )

Jodie
LL

shivie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shivie Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 2:25am
post #6 of 13

AWow beautiful !!!! How did u do the lid plllz help I need to make a bday cake n have no idea for the lid thanks

jiya11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jiya11 Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 3:41am
post #7 of 13

AI rolled out fondant mixed with Tylose real thin and cut into squares. Let it dry on crumbled aluminium foil. I made the lid from Styrofoam sheet. Cut it to size and covered in fondant on both sides. Not able to attach pic from my phone. Will do so later from PC

shivie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shivie Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 3:50am
post #8 of 13

AOk thanks soo much really appreciate it

PatrysV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatrysV Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 11:44am
post #9 of 13

Uberhipster - how did you make that bow on top of the lid? Do you make each bow seperate and then attach them all in the middle? I need to make one for a wedding cake next week and never made a multiple one like that.

jiya11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jiya11 Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 12:10pm
post #10 of 13

A

Original message sent by PatrysV

Uberhipster - how did you make that bow on top of the lid? Do you make each bow seperate and then attach them all in the middle? I need to make one for a wedding cake next week and never made a multiple one like that.

Cut even long strips of gumpaste of equal sizes, say 1x6 and you will need maybe 12-15 of them. Glue end to end and let them dry on the side. Stuff with Kleenex for the loops to stay open. Cut the edge of each loop in a V shape. Once the loops are dry, attach them together on a round gumpaste disc with gum glue(mixture of gympaste and water)

Hope that make sense. Otherwise check YouTube.

PatrysV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatrysV Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 12:48pm
post #11 of 13

Totally makes sense - thank you!

EllaMcHawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EllaMcHawk Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 4:03pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiya11 

I rolled out fondant mixed with Tylose real thin and cut into squares. Let it dry on crumbled aluminium foil.
I made the lid from Styrofoam sheet. Cut it to size and covered in fondant on both sides. Not able to attach pic from my phone. Will do so later from PC

I used this method a couple of weeks ago and it looked great! I only made three sheets, but I snapped them up a little and the torn effect actually worked quite well. Thanks!

colette68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colette68 Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 8:09am
post #13 of 13

Thank you all so much for these bits of advice. I'm new on here and need to make a One Direction gift box cake next month for my daughter. The tips for tissue and how to make the lid and bow are great!  I will post a picture of the finished product if it turns out ok.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%