Cake Competition In Albuquerque

Decorating By TJ777 Updated 2 Aug 2007 , 4:46am by TJ777

TJ777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJ777 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 10

Hey Guys!
I just heard from my cake instructer that there will be a cake competition in Albuquerque Nm, in November. I don't have all of the details yet, but she said that the President of a local orchestra said that since he was a Foodnetwork fan, he had decide to hold a cake competition in celebration of the orchestra's 75th(not sure about that number) anniversary. Anyone can enter. As I said, I don't have all of the details yet, but I will post them as I learn.

9 replies
reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 10

FINALLY!!!!! Something that has to do with cakes in NM! I've been waiting for something like this for a long time. Please, PLEASE keep us posted. I'll be watching this one for replies from now on. Thanks

rigama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rigama Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 10

Yes, it's the 75th anniversary fo the New Mexico Symphony Orchestra.

The cake must be real and the theme must have something to do with NMSO or music/instruments/ or the contributions of the symphony to the community.

There will be 1st 2nd and 3rd place prizes each day. You can enter any or all of the days. On the 18th there will be a Best In Show prize.

Dates are Nov. 16-18

The cakes will be served to guests. I didn't see anywhere that there is an entry fee, so I assume it's free.

You can go to The Specialty Shop on Lomas and San Pedro to pick up some info. Sigh. I wish I were good enough to join this competition. I don't even aspire to win! But there's no way I'm ready to actually compete. Not yet anyway.

reenie Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 10

Do they have a site I can go to? I'll look on the net to see for now but I'm in Artesia and I'm so not gonna make a trip up there just for the form. LOL Thanks so much for keeping this one alive for me.

rigama Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 10

I don't think The Specialty Shop has a website, and I couldn't find anything on New Mexico Symphony Orchestra's website. But if you want to PM me I'll scan the 2 pages (one info sheet and one registration form) and email them to you.

reenie Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 10

Awesome thanks.

raymona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raymona Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 9:06pm
post #7 of 10

The New Mexico Symphony Cake contest information from the form I received from the chair of the event, Sharon Freisinger.

The Decorating contest will be for the performances on November 16, 17, and 18th. The would like to have first, second and third place awards for each day and then on the 18th have a BEST OF SHOW. You could enter any or all of the three days. The cakes in the contest will be served after each performance and prizes will be awarded for each day.

Judging Guidelines

Entries

Must be real cake (no dummies) which will serve 150 or more. Sheet cakes or Tiered cakes, Shaped or sculpted cakes are all acceptable. You are the designer and we will be proud to show the Symphony your talents. Any and all edible art forms are encouraged.

Theme of the Show
Following the theme of the 75th Anniversary or Diamond Anniversary or anything pertaining to the New Mexico Symphony, music, instruments or the contributions of the Symphony to our community.

Creativity
Original design

Overall Design
The overall cake design should be coordinated and well balanced.

Precision and Neatness
Decoration should be done in neat and consistent manner.

Degree of Difficulty
Some techniques are much harder to do than others, so the degree of difficulty will be considered.

Presentation
Overall impact and attention to detail.

There will be at least three judges each day. One will be a personality judge from the community, one will be from the Symphony, and one will be a professional Cake Decorating Judge. There will be a First, Second and Third place awarded for each day and on the 18th a "Best of Show" will be awarded from all three days. The prizes will be determined by the Symphony Guild. Please remember that the joy of this Show is to Thank the Symphony for their contribution to our community and showing that our artistry compliments theirs. We will make beautiful music together, theirs for the ear and ours for the eye.

The Cake Show reserves the rights to eliminate any entry that is in poor taste or inappropriate for the occasion.

rigama Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 11:08pm
post #8 of 10

You have mail, reenie.

raymona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raymona Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 11:56pm
post #9 of 10

I just got permission from the chair to post her contact information. Sharon Freisinger email [email protected] She will be glad any questions and get you forms.

I hope to compete

Mona

TJ777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJ777 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 4:46am
post #10 of 10

Thanks!! I'm gonna go to the specialty shop so I can get some info! I tried the website b4 but there wasn't anything there.
Thanks again!
icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%