Nervous About Transporting! Yikes!

Decorating By mlianes75 Updated 19 Sep 2006 , 6:52pm by SweetSue1

mlianes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlianes75 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 5

Hi All! I'm making my first paying cake this weekend!! icon_biggrin.gif
I'm making a pig on a platter thanks to many great ideas off the gallery. My problem is I'm SOOOO NERVOUS about transporting it. icon_cry.gif

Since I'm new at this I don't know what to do. Do I cover it with plastic wrap? Do I put it in a box?
This is going to be a fairly good size cake...in the end I'm guessing the approximate size of a 1/2 sheet cake.

TIA for all your help and great ideas!

Megan

4 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 5

Get yourself some non-skid shelf liners (available at Wal-Mart or Target) and line the trunk of your car or back of your SUV with them. You probably don't need a box or a cover. One of my Wilton instructors said she also lines the back of her Explorer with carpet padding, then shelf liner on top of that. Your cake won't slide around, but it's still best to drive like a granny. icon_smile.gif Good luck!

LorraineF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LorraineF Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 5

I got foam padding at Joanne's fabric--you can get a whole roll of thin stuff for 1.99 or a square of thicker stuff for a couple dollars more. Set your cake on that and it won't go anywhere--unless you take a corner on two wheels!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 5

The shelf liner is wonderful for transporting, I recently took a wedding cake 300 miles on it.

SweetSue1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSue1 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 5

I've been transporting wedding cakes for 2 years now in my PT Cruiser. I've never used shelf liner - sounds like a great idea that I'll have to try. I use a big blanket under the cake and I always box my cakes. They're so heavy that they don't slide. I'm a small woman, so when I have a 4-tiered cake weighing over 40 lbs, I only stack 2 tiers at home and then stack the rest on site at the reception. (Learned the hard way not to trust anyone other than me to carry a stacked cake into a reception!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%