Please help me out here. I tried melting Wilton Candy Melts in the Wilton Plastic Bottle last night. I filled the bottle half full with candy melts and melted in the microwave. The problem came when I tried to squeeze it out. It squeezed a little out and then the tip stopped up. I've tried this method before with no success. What am I doing wrong????
I need to make candies for a baby shower and I really don't want to have to spoon the candy melts in the molds.
I ended up melting in a decorator bag, which worked fine except that it was a little difficult to handle since it was hot. I would have used the bottle so I could have wrapped a towel around it.
Many thanks for all of your help!
How about melting in a bag, so you can massage it all and then squeeze it into the bottle and...voila!
I have the same issue... So I melt them in a tupperware and then pour the melted candy into the bottle... However, once you pour into the bottle, it usually hardens a bit by the time I am ready to do my next mold! So I nuke the bottle and massage it a bit... By the time I am done, my bottles are pretty much trash and they get microwaved too much! UGH... Let me know if you come up with a great solution! Good luck.
The reason it stopped up is because you had partially unmelted candy melts in there. To be sure that your melts are melted you can first do it in a bowl so you can stir it.. or you can take a skewer and swirl it around in the bottle to check to see if there are any that still need to be melted. Also.. keep a pot of hot water on the stove so you can sit it in there for a few minutes when it starts to firm up.
the bottle is still a little difficult to handle when it is hot. It sounds like you are not getting the chocolate fully melted. i have found when using the bottle, the trick is to microwave it for about a minute on lower power then really massage the chocolate inside and then micro some more until it is fully melted. You can also stir the chocolate with a chopstick.
Honestly, I still have yet to find a way that I really like to melt and fill chocolate molds.
I also melt them in a bowl and then pour into a disposable decorating bag. I find they need stirred between meltings for a smoother consistency. I can snip the end to the exact size I need and there is less waste .... I can never get all the chocolate out of that freakin' bottle! Plus no clean up ..... bag goes right in the trash when I'm done!
The only down side is the melted chocolate makes the bag a little warm against my hand. (ok...sometimes it's downright hot!). If that's the case, I just wrap a paper towel around it while holding it.
Thank you all for your suggestions. Needless to say, I was very frustrated last night!
Indydebi - I am going to try your method when I do the candies. I am thinking that will be just as quick and look neater than my trusty baby spoon.
I melt chocolate in a heatproof measuring cup with a spout to make it easier transferring to a piping bag or plastic squeeze bottles. When making chocolate transfers, I use parchment paper, otherwise, I use the plastic squeeze bottles.
Thank you all so much for your responses.
Last night, I needed to make candy mints and had to melt two packages of candy melts. So I used my little 2-quart crockpot on the low setting. Worked like a dream! I then used a piping bag to fill the mold. I was using the Wilton mini baby icon molds and found that just the piping bag with the end cut out was not getting into all of the little crevices, so I used a round tip (#5 I think) without the coupler. It worked wonderfully!
Thank you all again!
First of all, you should never melt your chocolate in plastic. Melt it in a GLASS measuring cup or bowl. It's easier to pour from a measuring cup. Secondly, melt your chocolate slowly by using 1minute intervals on 50% power on your microwave. Stir in between each interval. Once the chocolate is completely melted, pour it into your bottle. I've used this method for years and have made hundreds and hundreds of suckers and candies and have never had a problem with it. Another tip, make sure you're using a good quality melting chocolate. The Wilton disc from Walmart has never melted for me. Good luck!
Ok, I tried the bottle method, and the choc will still cool in the narrow opening, no matter what. So, that being said. I went to the double boiler method, but was always messy and very time consuming to empty bag/bottle with melted choc. So, I tired melting in disposable bags, and never regretted it. If done right, should never be so hot that it can't be handled, too hot and it's burned.
Melt on % power at 45 secs, then 15 seconds, then 10, each time gently kneading the bag to blend and work the choc until all melted. I've been doing this for 10+ years, even my Girl Scouts have done this over the years and it works. Tiny hole for color details in molds, little larger hole for larger detail spaces, larger hole or spoon to fill.
Oh, don't be fooled by the pics and instructions telling you to use a paint brush for details, NEVER worked for me, only made a mess in the molds. I only use bags.
When choc cools, can be taken out of bag to re-use later. It just pops right out.
OOOps, that should say 50% power
Maybe put a little Crisco in with the melts, then stir with a skewer really well.