The Final Outcome

Decorating By curiouscakes Updated 19 Sep 2006 , 6:36pm by curiouscakes

curiouscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curiouscakes Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 3:47am
post #1 of 17

Not sure if you remember my few posts about my MMF problems and the like. This is the first cake I've baked for someone, and it was just for family. Anyways, to be honest, I'm not pleased, and after the cake was finished, I told myself I'd never bake again. I tend to be a perfectionist, and this was nowhere near my standards.
First, the top tier. I baked the yellow cake with strawberry filling. It tasted wonderful! The icing was fine. The border on top, I stunk at! I just can't get borders down for anything. I LOVE the lace, and it's super quick and easy to do. The basketweave was a bit more time consuming, but not too bad. Anyhow, that part was the best.
Now, the bottom layer, where all the problems happened. I made a marble cake, white and banana (dyed w/ yellow dye) Looked pretty going into the oven. When it came out, it was all white in the middle and all yellow on the outside. Then, it got stuck in the pan, and came out in about seven pieces. What a huge MESS! So, at 11pm, I STARTED rebaking that layer. I just opted for a yellow and white mixed cake (that's all I had at my house) It came out with white on the outside and yellow on the inside even though it was throughly baked. I just used bake right strip things, no core. I used the same shortening and flour and it came out okay. When I torted it, a little section on the bottom fell apart. It was just because it was hard to pick up a 12" section in my hands and flip it over. ANY suggestions?! The banana custard filling was great, as was the cake. So, I pieced the parts back together with frosting and made the best out of it. Threw in the dowels which were soooo hard to cut. Then I got the MMF decorations to put on, and they were still completely soft. I was so disappointed. I hurried up and decorated the rest of the cake. By 3am, I was finished.
All in all, WAAAY too much stress, too many disasters, and a cake I wasn't at all pleased with the decorations. At least it tasted good.
So, any help or suggestions?
*If you got this far, thanks for reading!

16 replies
curiouscakes Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 3:49am
post #2 of 17

Forgot to add,
I also completely forgot to wrap that bottom cake board. The grease from the frosting was all around the lettering. Also, I need to invest in some stencils. I had to write freehand with a bag of frosting. Completely uneven and messy handwriting. What a pain in the behind!

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 4:01am
post #3 of 17

Oh my gosh! How cool is it that you got to bake a birthday cake for someone who is 92 You should give yourself a BIG pat on the back for sticking with it after all the trouble. You know salvaging a near disaster is really hard, not to mention STRESSFUL icon_cry.gif I think your cake looks really good, and sounds like it tasted wonderful-would like to know how you made the banana custard. I am so glad that I'm not the only one who is up til all hours-sometimes too tired to enjoy the party I've made the cake for icon_sad.gif ! Anyway, Good Job thumbs_up.gif

kjt Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 4:04am
post #4 of 17

Curiouscakes...okay so you forgot to wrap the board...you rolled out ALL those fondant balls, didn't you icon_wink.gif As is often said here-we are our own worst critics...

curiouscakes Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 4:24am
post #5 of 17

Don't even tell me there's an easier way to get fondant balls that are nice and even!!! I spent hours making ball after ball of fondant. I was getting so frustrated! The cake was so much stress, the day of the party I didn't even want to look at it!!

I'll have to find the banana custard recipe. It wasn't too hard, BUT it made enough to fill about twenty cakes, so I ended up dumping out 95% of it!! Oh well, you live and you learn, right?!

kjt Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 4:37am
post #6 of 17

How funny!!! icon_lol.gif I can't tell you how many times I've dumped perfectly good stuff just because I am so sick of dealing with it...And if there's an easier way to get the fondant balls even (an extruder of some sort-I don't have one, but I've read about it on some of the posts) we won't talk about it tonight!!! This baking/posting/etc. REALLY is an addiction icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 4:50am
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Quote:

I used the same shortening and flour and it came out okay. When I torted it, a little section on the bottom fell apart. It was just because it was hard to pick up a 12" section in my hands and flip it over. ANY suggestions?!

When you torte or layer, slide a cardboard circle in under it to pick it up, put another one on top, flip it over and slide it back off into place....

beckah78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckah78 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 5:20pm
post #8 of 17

I think it looks great!! icon_smile.gif You did a wonderful job!

sthrasher1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sthrasher1 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 5:25pm
post #9 of 17

I think it looks great.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 5:26pm
post #10 of 17

You did a good job.

amycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amycake Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 5:32pm
post #11 of 17

I think it is very pretty. I love the colors.

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 5:56pm
post #12 of 17

I think it is really really pretty!!

You should have seen the mess I actually took money for this morning. I am so embarresed I couldn't even bare to take a picture.

icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

hockeygirl658 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hockeygirl658 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 6:02pm
post #13 of 17

My hubby actually came up with a great way to make (fairly) uniform fondant balls. It worked really well on the pink baby shower cake that is in my photos.

He suggested that I roll a chunk of fondant into a big rope or snake. Then, I cut it at half inch intervals and rolled each of those in my hands to make a ball or pearl. It worked great! Each one was about the same size because I always started with the same ammount of fondant!

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 6:07pm
post #14 of 17

I think it looks great ! I love pink and purple.

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 6:07pm
post #15 of 17

hockeygirl658--what a great idea! You have a pretty smart hubby! icon_smile.gif

hockeygirl658 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hockeygirl658 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 6:24pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Quote:

You have a pretty smart hubby!

Thanks! I like to think so! icon_wink.gificon_cool.gif

curiouscakes Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 6:36pm
post #17 of 17

Thanks for the compliments! I actually rolled out the fondant for the shapes, and then the leftover section I cut into pretty equal parts. I then used those square to roll into balls. I tried to get them pretty equal, but oh well.
I have my son's blues clues cake this weekend. It should be a lot easier though because it's just stars on the cake pan blue. I'm not stressed at all. Any tricks or tips for frosting the cupcakes though? I have little rings to stick in them, but what about for the top frosting? Any special tip that works well?

I have a baby shower for a girl coming up November 5th. My family is crazy with asking for cakes. Just because of that one! I guess I could use the practice though, so who better than family?!

Thanks for the compliments and help. I appreciate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%