Make A 1/2 Chocolate 1/2 White Cake?

Decorating By sammsuts Updated 1 Jul 2005 , 4:07pm by MrsMissey

sammsuts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammsuts Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 12:13pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,

I have an order to do a slab cake that's 1/2 white cake, 1/2 chocolate cake that's all iced in white buttercream. I originally thought I would just make 2 cakes and put them together, but is there a way to bake them in the same pan with some sort of separator inbetween? If anyone has expereience with this, I would appreciate some feedback.
Thanks!

6 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 12:24pm
post #2 of 7

I have a plastic 12" divider that I got from Sugarcraft.com for this purpose, or you can make one from cardboard and cover it with foil...you remove it after all the batter is in your pan.

My experience with doing the half and half is that the chocolate one usually does not rise and bake the same as the white, so I started baking them separately (this was two 1/4 sheets to make a 1/2, the one piece half sheet is pretty hard to handle too.) Janice

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 1:13pm
post #3 of 7

Instead of putting the divider in the "center"...slide it off center by about 1/2 inch...pour the chocolate in the bigger half and the white in the smaller half. That gives the chocolate more space (since chocolate seems to take more time to bake!) Works for me!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 1:16pm
post #4 of 7

I cut a piece off a cakeboard that will fit in the pan I'm using to bake the cake in ... I pour the chocolate in one side and the white in the other side... then I just slide the cardboard divider out when ready to be baked... works great for me .. and you're right MrsMissey.. dunno why it takes chocolate longer to bake, but it does!

sammsuts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammsuts Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 1:39pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I think I will give the divider a shot before I actually make the customer's order so I can get the hang of it.

finnie00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
finnie00 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 2:28pm
post #6 of 7

MrsMissey - thanks for the suggestion on moving the divider over a little bit - that will certainly help. I had a problem with the chocolate side rising quite a bit higher than the white side. Do you think this hint will help with that also? Maybe the white side was overcooked and fell alittle?
Thanks for your help!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:07pm
post #7 of 7

I don't know that it helps with the rising issue but I level my cakes anyway, so that part never bothered me. I was always more concerned that one end was over or under cooked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%