How Do You Get Fondant To Be Glossy?

Decorating By danifani Updated 26 Jul 2007 , 2:50pm by 7yyrt

danifani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danifani Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 12:18am
post #1 of 15

How can I get my fondant to look this glossy? This is more than luster or shimmer dust, right?
LL

14 replies
tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 12:28am
post #2 of 15

I'm not sure about this cake in particular, but I made a cake with fondant accents yesterday. There was PS on them so I took a wet brush and lightly went over the accents to get the sugar off and when they dried, it was shiny. I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for but it's a thought. I don't have any pictures loaded yet so I can't show it to you.

Best of luck!

simplysweetbygigi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweetbygigi Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 12:29am
post #3 of 15

I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO KNOW, I THINK SOMEONE ONCE SAID SPRAY IT WITH VODKA. I WAS ALWAYS TO SCARED TO DO THIS AFTER THE CAKE WAS FINISH, AFRAID I MIGHT RUIN IT. icon_eek.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 12:36am
post #4 of 15

You can use a confectionary glaze which is a sugar syrup and everclear mixture or you can get edible lacquer spray to do the same thing.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 12:37am
post #5 of 15

my understanding is that confectioners glaze does that.

Jazz2U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jazz2U Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 1:43am
post #6 of 15

Take a scrap piece of fondant & try the vodka & the sugar. I used the pearl dust with vodka this weekend & painted on extra pieces to see if I wanted to use the white or silver. I don't think it came out that shiny.

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 1:54am
post #7 of 15

Try very lightly brushing your fondant with shortening. It will give it a nice glossy finish. I used a very light coating of shortening on the jacket lapels on my Phantom of the Opera cake, for example.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:03am
post #8 of 15

I use extra crisco when rolling out my fondant to keep it from sticking, rather than cornstarch. The end result is usually a shint fondant, whether I want one or not.

Cynita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynita Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 3:18am
post #9 of 15

Someone told me to lightly airbrush the finish project with water. I tried it and it gave me more of a sheen not a real gloss. I lightly sprayed it, I'm not sure that if you spray more it would become more glossier.

Cynita

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:30am
post #10 of 15

I have rubbed the shortening in the palm of my hands then used it to polish the cake, makes a shining finish without adding moisture.
Water+ Fondant = icon_cry.gif I've had it run and bubble up when I tried to put water on it, much safer to use shortening.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 5:22am
post #11 of 15

In one of the Challenges on FN Buddy made a poker grooms cake and did something to it to make it have a high gloss. I'm dying to know what he used. Did anyone watch that one?

CakeEscape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEscape Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 1:49pm
post #12 of 15

Im interested in this too!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:02pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacockplace

In one of the Challenges on FN Buddy made a poker grooms cake and did something to it to make it have a high gloss. I'm dying to know what he used. Did anyone watch that one?

He used a professional fabric steamer on the cake. It looked great for a couple of hours, then it when back to a matte finish. It was somewhat disappointing, because I was wanting to know how to get the look, but I wanted it to last.

This method would probably work great if the cake was going to be served immediately. But I don't know if the the professional steamer is worth the price.

Weirkd, do you know the ratio or recipe for the glaze made with corn syrup and Everclear? I have heard that this works really well.

Thanks,

Michele

danifani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danifani Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 7:54pm
post #14 of 15

Thanks, I think I'll start with shortening because I have it on hand, and work my way down the list. I have until Feb. to figure it out! But it is never too early to start.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:50pm
post #15 of 15

Please post back on this thread your progress. It seems many are interested in the idea - ME TOO!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%