Coloring Candy Melts?

Decorating By momof3jotynjake Updated 1 Jul 2005 , 1:56pm by CarolAnn

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 3:32am
post #1 of 20

Hello! I bought some candy melts... they are white.. can i put some wiltonn paste in there to color it a different color??

19 replies
susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 3:35am
post #2 of 20

this may not help much but i know you can not put the liquid coloring in it. i have never tried to paste sorry.

edcjenv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edcjenv Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 3:38am
post #3 of 20

For the candy clay recipe, it says you can knead in paste and that's 1/2 candy melts, 1/2 corn syrup...so I would think so. I'm trying tonight w/ the candy clay...I'll let you know.

susanmm23 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 3:43am
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by edcjenv

For the candy clay recipe, it says you can knead in paste and that's 1/2 candy melts, 1/2 corn syrup...so I would think so. I'm trying tonight w/ the candy clay...I'll let you know.

oh yeah so i guess it would be ok i didnt think of that. almost 2 years ago we treid coloring some melts with yellow liquid food coloring it turned out to look like thatr cheap nasty melted chesse thats really greasy. it was awful.

vuemura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vuemura Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 3:52am
post #5 of 20

Wilton makes something called "Primary Candy Colors Set" - it's
concentrated oil-based color that are made to blend into Wilton Candy Melts. Contains red, blue, yellow and orange; 1/4 oz. jars.

I used these for the first time last week and the colors came out great!

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 3:55am
post #6 of 20

I have not tried the paste...but I have used the Wilton candy colors. That worked good, but it is designed for this purpose. I would try the paste and see what happens. Let us know! icon_smile.gif
traci

edcjenv Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:15am
post #7 of 20

susan--eeew...I can see why you'd avoid it... but see I can make any type of mistake (in baking) and DH will still gobble it up w/a smile LOL it's great icon_smile.gif

susanmm23 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:17am
post #8 of 20

ewww no way i bet he would have ran away from this mess. my kids wouldnt even touch it. i was like its candy and they said yeah right. this was awful. you know its bad when boys wont try it. lol

KrazyKross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyKross Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:22am
post #9 of 20

I used white candy melts colored in various shades form the MBA graduation cake in the gallery. I used the Wilton candy colors. If you use paste or water-based colors, the chocolate can freeze up and won't flow smoothly.

meghan89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghan89 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:25am
post #10 of 20

when working with chocolate, you cannot use any coloring that contains water. The water makes the chocolate seize, and become globy and gloopy. The colors made for the candy melts contain oil, no water and they work! Good Luck!

edcjenv Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:25am
post #11 of 20

susan--wow that must have been pretty bad! I have picky kids, but if I say the word candy they'd eat about anything! LOL

FYI I just added the color to U.Sam's head and it's lookin' good so far! I think Wiltom paste may be the way to go icon_smile.gif

susanmm23 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:26am
post #12 of 20

my kids arent picky at all. so thats how bad it was. I cant wait to see your cake when you are done.

edcjenv Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:31am
post #13 of 20

You should've posted a picture of that (haha)!
I'll definitely post it...let's just pray it doesn't make the 'cake disasters' forum! icon_smile.gif

susanmm23 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:34am
post #14 of 20

lol no no we dont want to make people sick on here.

Im sure it will be great. no disasters

momof3jotynjake Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:35am
post #15 of 20

THANKS FOR ALL your help!! i guess im off to michaels in the morning! LOL!!!

susanmm23 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:53am
post #16 of 20

sorry we kind of high jacked your thread. Hope we offered some kind of help some where in all the maddness.

edcjenv Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:57am
post #17 of 20

ditto icon_smile.gif

butrcup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butrcup Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 5:32am
post #18 of 20

I colored it today with Wilton gel colors, just melted a little at a time and used a toothpick dipped in color-worked great....I did small batches because I didn't think it was going to work.

momof3jotynjake Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 1:43pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmm23

sorry we kind of high jacked your thread. Hope we offered some kind of help some where in all the maddness.

lol susan~ not a problem at alll icon_biggrin.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 1:56pm
post #20 of 20

I've colored white candy melts using the only coloring I have which is the jars of Wilton gels and it worked fine. I don't believe candy melts ARE actually chocolate, but almond bark stuff, aren't they? Anyway, to color I put them in a disposable pastry bag with a coupler and melted them in the microwave. When melted I put in a bit of coloring then closed with a twist tie and kneaded the bag to blend it. Did this until I had the color I wanted. I was very pleased with the result. Just remember not to put the tie on before it goes into the micro. UGH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%