Unique Wedding Cake Flavors

Decorating By hope22023 Updated 20 Sep 2006 , 10:57pm by CupCake13

hope22023 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hope22023 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 1:47am
post #1 of 17

For all of you creative bakers out there... I am in need of "unique" flavor combos for a wedding. The bride wants 2 separate small cakes. She doesnt want the usual wedding cake flavors tho. So far I have suggested chocolate with raspberry mousse, hawaiian delight with pineapple curd, carrot cake with cream cheese, and strawberry shortcake. None of those jump out at her. If you have any suggestions that you have used in the past that were big hits I would appreciate it!! Thanks!

16 replies
redsoxgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redsoxgirl Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 2:03am
post #2 of 17

here are the flavors I offer...not terribly original but it might help : )

http://www.bostoncakecompany.com/flavors.html

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 2:08am
post #3 of 17

Dede Wilson has some great cake combinations in her books. Myself, I like anything with Nutella or tiramisu.

peterlori1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peterlori1 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:08am
post #4 of 17

I have been wanting to try key lime cake with a white chocolate mousse. And redsoxgirl, I want all your recipes! icon_smile.gif

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 4:04am
post #5 of 17

what about a spiced rum cake with coconut filling?

SilkwoodStudios Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SilkwoodStudios Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 4:15am
post #6 of 17

key lime chiffon with mango curd, a fav of my customers

Brendansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendansmum Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 4:26am
post #7 of 17

I was experimenting in the kitchen today and made a Chai flavored cake with a Chai and cinnamon buttercream. It turned out very good. I just brewed some really strong chai tea and added it as my liquid for both. I did add some extra cinnamon to the buttercream. I also tried an Earl Gray and it was good too but didn't have that strong of a flavor, couldn't really tell it was supposed to be earl gray tea. But the Chai would be good for a fall wedding, with the cinnamon and cardamom, or for someone who just like the flavor. I was thinking of even doing a cream cheese icing for that one as well. I also saw on another web-site that they made a green tea flavored cake, not sure how that would be. But I've got tea's on the brain since I'm working out of a tea room and trying to come up with new menu items for the owner.

SilkwoodStudios Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SilkwoodStudios Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 4:32am
post #8 of 17

mmmmmm brendansmum , that just makes my mouth water, and ideas filling my head, i have been addicted to chai lately and cant wait to bake up some now, off topic but my last party punch was chai vanilla creme soda based and oooh so yummy.
back to ideas for HOPE, how about PB&J?

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 7:48pm
post #9 of 17

Pistachio cake with white chocolate filling; caramel cake with pear filling; cocnut cake with passionfruit filling; appricot cake with honey buttercream...

CupCake13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake13 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 11:40pm
post #10 of 17

First of all, ask her what her favorite candy flavors are, if she were ordering a dessert in a fancy restaurant, what does she gravitate towards. It gives you a good idea of her tastes. (I hate picky brides!)

Everyone here, so far, has offered some great suggestions. What time of year is this wedding happening?

If it's fall - how about a spiced cake with an apple filling, or a chocolate flaked sponge cake with white chocolate buttercream (to die for!)

How about a pumpkin or spice cake with a pumpkin mousse filling?

If it's Christmas time - a chocolate cake with peppermint mousse?
Or go grandly vanilla (not white) - with a really good quality vanilla creme filling, etc... Or a golden vanilla cake with a champagne-something filling!

Valentine's? Red Velvet and cream cheese icing.. go totally southern for a theme.

Do you know what she's serving for dinner? That would help make the decision too. If she's having prime rib or something heavy, a lighter cake would be a nice compliment.

The CupCake - who's had too much time to think today!

hope22023 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 11:14pm
post #11 of 17

The wedding is at the end of April in NC. It will be getting warm so I would gravitate towards summery flavors. The menu is basically heavy appetizers and cake. We are planning on party sized servings since my cake is cheaper than the actual food. As far as I can gather, the bride and groom are not on the same page. Originally we decided on strawberry shortcake for one of the 2 cakes and the other was going to be red velvet with cream cheese. Well, the groom doesn't like that. So we're keeping the shortcake but need to find a replacement for the velvet. All she has given me thus far is something "different." They are tend to be more on the elegant side (I suggested smores and they laughed). I appreciate all fo the suggestions so far!

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 11:21pm
post #12 of 17

I made a spice cake with apple pie filling once. It was really good. Also, I got alot of positive feedback on an orange cake with raspberry filling. Got the filling recipe from the Wilton web site. The orange cake, I just substitute orange juice for water in the mix. It's a really good, moist cake.

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 11:33pm
post #13 of 17

redsoxgirl -your cakes flavors sound wonderful.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 12:08am
post #14 of 17

orange, or key lime sound good to me. Chocolate cake with carmel. I would ask her about doing 2 unique flavors that are completely opposite of each other. redsoxgirl, all I have to say is MMMMMMM!

CupCake13 Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 3:04am
post #15 of 17

Okay, since you've got strawberry shortcakes (cute btw) something non-berry flavored would be better.

I like the idea of a key lime cake - or oooh, how about a coconut with key lime curd filling...

A really good champagne cake (yes, I'm fascinated with that one icon_biggrin.gif ) with maybe a fresh peach filling? Think about what would be in season at that time besides strawberries.

Personally, I like a citrus flavor with heavy appetizers. It gives the palette a break. Even a lemon with lemon filling, a key lime cake with a white chocolate buttercream, an orange with a fudge filling (not chocolate mousse, too subtle a flavor with the orange. You need something thick, like a fudge.)

It sounds fun. Let us know what she picks?

I have to admit, I was struck by how similar looking the two original choices were - red velvet with cream cheese and strawberry shortcakes... all red and white!

hope22023 Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 10:47am
post #16 of 17

I spoke with the bride yesterday and we have set up the tastings. Here is what she has decided as contenders:

strawberry shortcake (that is a given I believe)
carrot
champagne
tiramisu
bananas foster

Thanks for everyone's wonderful suggestions!!!

CupCake13 Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 10:57pm
post #17 of 17

Oooh, Bananas foster sounds wonderful!! Good luck at the tasting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%