How To Make Fondant Look Like Ice?????

Decorating By briansbaker Updated 7 Jul 2005 , 3:50pm by SweetArt

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 11

I was wondering is there someone out there with the magic to make fondant look like ice? icon_confused.gif
I plan to do a bucket of ice cake filled with a couple of fondant beer bottles. (Well I say I plan on, more like attempt a miracle LOL) icon_lol.gif in August. Also (throwing all Q's in one forum) Can someone please refresh my memory on how to bake in a clay plot?

10 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 11

The only way I can think of would be to use luster dust, it comes in a pearl type color that might work for ice, but there may be another color that would be better, maybe even a pale blue! Oh, I did see one where they made ice cubes out of piping gel, I think it was here on CC, maybe somebody else will remember how that was done!

Can't help at all with the clay pot, haven't done that before! Janice

eve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 11

I have a Clay Pot cake photo in the gallery..anyway, line the pot with Aluminum foil...pour your batter, cool the cake totally, then peel off the foil very carefully. You can either put the cake back in the pot w/out the foil then pur icing on top and flowers OR frost the cake with frosting colores like a clay pot, color would be Copper w/ a little bit of Brown.

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 11

Maybe instead of fondant a jello jiggler type thing? With a clear type of jello...??? I think there is a lemonade or something that is clear...just an idea

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 11

I made a clay pot cake and I lined mine with wax paper it came out great. It does take a good while to bake. Don't forget a flower nail as a heating core.

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 11

do I have to soak the clay pot? and could I just spray the heck out of with some sort of non sticking spray? abbey I have the center rod to the doll cake pan would that work? Or do I need something that will fit from top to bottom? Also How full do you fill it? What size did you use on your clay pot cake? icon_smile.gif OMG I just looked at eves clay pot cake. Was it already out of the pot or was the mix still in the pot. Looks amazingly beautiful! icon_confused.gif Thinking I should have focused on subject of this forum and renamed it Clay Pot Cake HELP! LOL
Hey the jello thing sounds so much easier!!! Thank you!

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 11

for the ice cubes, I have used a package of Jello sparkling grape mixed with plain gelatin. I let it set in ice cube trays and it worked perfectly...everyone thought it was real ice when they looked at it!

delectablecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delectablecakes Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 8:30pm
post #8 of 11

I did a cake with a bottle of wine chilling on ice. For the ice, I used clear rock candy. It's already shaped like ice cubes and you don't have to worry about it melting or going soft. Everyone loved it.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 8:35pm
post #9 of 11

Soak the pot in water, otherwise it will soak the moisture right out of your cake.
Line the pot with aluminum foil, wax paper, or parchment paper.
The thing from the wonder mold is long and skinny right? (I don't have one of those pans yet) If it is, I'm sure that it will work fine.
Hope this helps!
m0use
PS- Glad to see you back on here, hope things are going better for you at home.

witchymal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
witchymal Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 8:33am
post #10 of 11

to make jelly type ice cubes it is 1 geletine sheet to 100mls liquid, any type though if you want it set harder i would use 1.5 sheets instead i use the 1:100 ratio to make jelly shots.
i wish you good luck

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 3:50pm
post #11 of 11

In the March 2003 ACD issue they made ice cubes. 1/2 c. Vodka with 1 c. light corn syrup. Boil to 250. Pour into ice cube mold. After about 15 minutes they should be hard enough to pop them out and place on greased wax paper.

A quick side note: always line your pots that you bake in becuase many of them contain lead that will get into the food otherwise.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%