Cake Cracked After Frosting

Decorating By dip Updated 19 Sep 2006 , 2:09am by dip

dip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dip Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 8

I made a farm cake today for my friend's daughter,it was a two layer 1/4 chocolate sheet cake with chocolate pudding in between.But in 2-3 hrs it started to crack from center.This is the second time this has happened to me so i am not sure what the reason is.Is it because of the pudding because both times i had pudding filled in the center.Please help me because i don't want this to happen again. icon_cry.gif

7 replies
jac1105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jac1105 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:42am
post #2 of 8

Did you give the cake time enough to cool really good? I've only had this happen to me one time before, and it is because I did put it in the fridge or freezer for a little while. It was just tooo fresh. I now always give mine time (a day or less) in the fridge or (a few hours) in the freezer. Hope this helps.

dip Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 8

I think it was a little warm when it put it in the freezer.But i still had it in the freezer for two days.Maybe i should have let it cool completely outside and then freezed it.Thanks for the suggestion ,i'll keep that in mind.

kbenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbenz Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 8

I always put my cakes in the freezer when they are warm and never have had a problem.... is the cake cracking down the center or on the sides???

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 8

I've never tried freezing a cake before it had cooled completely, so I don't know if that could cause it. However, part of what happens while it cools is that some of the moisture evaporates off, if you freeze too soon, it might be more moist/less firm in the center.

You probably leveled it well before stacking, but if not, the weight of the cake stressed across the "hump" can cause cracking.

I have also had cracking on larger cakes when the cake board didn't provide enough support.

RP

dip Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 8:13pm
post #6 of 8

It cracked from the center.I could see a small crack while assembling the cake but it gradually got bigger in 3-4 hrs time.It usually happens with the devil's food cake which i made from cake flour.So i think there might be a problem with the cake itself.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 1:03am
post #7 of 8

Just wondering - was your cake board sturdy enough? I've had cakes crack from the boards bending. Now I double the boards on 1/4 sheet and bigger and haven't had a problem.

dip Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 2:09am
post #8 of 8

That might be one of the problems.The board was not sturdy enough and it did bend a little from the side.The cake was pretty heavy for the board i guess.Thanks for the suggestion,this should solve the problem i guess.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%