meandmine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meandmine Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 39

just read my message please forgive the spelling can spell

38 replies
peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 39

I cringe every time I read mine!!! I think we should ask Jackie for a spell check feature!!!! You are not alone in the spelling department. I wouldn't have made it through school without spell check!

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 39

I second that! thumbs_up.gif

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 39

Me too! I just saw my last post and instead of transfer I spelled trasnfer!!! Idiot!! LOL

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 39

I thought it was cake decorators shorthand!

icon_lol.gif Debbie

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 6:51pm
post #6 of 39

Sometimes there are just simple typing errors but spelling the english language is not easy by any means.

I do cringe every time I see "refridgerate" (which is frequently) or any form thereof...there is NO D in the word refrigerator, refrigerate, refrigeration, and only one D in refrigerated! I guess this has to come from "fridge" meaning refrigerator, in which case there is a D!

The funniest typo I've seen yet is "smiple", I think we need to adopt this word, it just cracks me up!

Janice

KayDay Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 7:03pm
post #7 of 39

Thank You!!!! LOL....I also cringe when refrigerator gets a D added to it icon_lol.gif I make my share of typos too I am sure!

Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemaker Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 7:06pm
post #8 of 39

Wow, I didn't even know thats how you spell refrigerator(I think I spelled it right)!

KayDay Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 7:07pm
post #9 of 39

icon_biggrin.gif oops....posted twice

KayDay Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 7:07pm
post #10 of 39

Come to think of it WHY do we add a D when we write fridge???? A condensation perhaps of frigidaire? sp* I think they were the originators of the fridge...lol

veejaytx Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 7:23pm
post #11 of 39

Yes, Frigidaire was one of the first, and that is where fridge came from, but I don't know why it was spelled that way... somebody probably misspelled it at the beginning and it has just stayed that way forever! Janice

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 9:52pm
post #12 of 39

veejaytx & KayDay: i've always felt weird spelling it "refridgerate", but then i've always thought that if the short form is "fridge", then the whole word MUST have a D, but i've never felt entirely confident about that -- good to know where the D comes from...according to the M-W online dictionary, fridge is a shortened & altered form of "refrigerate", and your suggestion about frigidaire looks pretty good to me.

veejaytx: how about "smiple", noun, meaning: a relatively easy word misspelled as a result of quick typing in online forums.

yes, english spelling is fun, and can be quite perilous at times. i hope no one is too bothered when they see my canadian U in words like "colour".

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 10:04pm
post #13 of 39

THAT'S WHY I CALL IT AN ICEBOX!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_twisted.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 10:05pm
post #14 of 39

lol tcturtleshell... we're from hickville.. who'd expect us to call it anything other than "icebox" icon_biggrin.gif

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 10:09pm
post #15 of 39

when i think of louisiana i dont think of hicks. unfortunatly(sp) wheni t hink of texas i think of hicks.

tcturtleshell Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 10:13pm
post #16 of 39

I'm a hick all right!! I think TX/Louisiana should be one state!!!! icon_smile.gif

KayDay Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 10:16pm
post #17 of 39

Hey! I beg to differ! I think that here in Alabama we INVENTED " hickism"...and when everyone isn't busy sleeping with their brother....hehe...(JK!!) we practice getting hickiness down to an art! And we also throw out a few good American Idol contestants!!! icon_lol.gif

susanmm23 Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 10:16pm
post #18 of 39

hmmm well i think you have a point there. Most people around here joke that the only way you can tell louisiana from texas is that in louisiana you can gamble.

tcturtleshell Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 10:25pm
post #19 of 39

LOL Susan!!! I've heard that from Texans too!!

Ya'll are so silly!!!

veejaytx Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 10:48pm
post #20 of 39

I think every state has it's share of "hicks", just different names for their "hickisms".

You mentioned the Canadian u in words, that does distract me a little, and my spellcheck goes nuts when I copy and paste a recipe so I can print it!

Yeppers, we could use spellcheck here on Cake Central, but we will manage without it I'm sure.
From an email I received (and posted previously) it doesn't matter what order letters are in as long as they are all there and the first and last letters are correct, we are still able to read them! Janice

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 12:23am
post #21 of 39

Simply transposing a letter does not bother me as much as not knowing the difference between the following:

1. There, their, and they're.
2. You're and your.
3. Who's and whose.

Transposing letters and ending up with a typographical graphical error pales in comparison to not knowing which word is appropiate. As for the fridge, it's most likely a result of people mispronouncing refrigerator and simply spelling it as they pronounce it.

Frigidaire is simply a combination of Frigid + Air (e).

Princess

susanmm23 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 1:55am
post #22 of 39

my best friends dad is the biggest redneck hick i have ever met. When ever people refer to others as hick i picture him. LOL so TC i can not imagine you as a hick. If i could i think we would all be having some major problems.lol

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 3:42am
post #23 of 39

Ok...since we're on spelling I will never forget my 8th grade teacher saying alot is NOT a word! It's a lot. Tha't about the only thing I spell correctly!
Speaking of hicks... I was at a party tonight where a girl said "I tumped that over, and we all knew what she meant! We also hear .... fixen to.... ya'll........and gonna ( as in.. I'm gonna do that!)

susanmm23 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 3:56am
post #24 of 39

who here uses the word yonder????? lol like them boys is over yonder!!! lmao

Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemaker Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:53am
post #25 of 39

Well I'm from Wyoming and proud to say I am a hick! We have lots of them here too! I pretty much grew up on a horse and wouldn't have it any other way. That's why I named my business Cowgirl Custom Cakes. Just thought I should represent all the hicks from Wyoming!

susanmm23 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:57am
post #26 of 39

hicks arent bad people. We should all be proud. Although im not sure i am a hick. Raised in the city, i dont have any animals unless you count the kids. lol i do say yall and fixen. So maybe im a mixture of city girl and hick.

SweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCreations Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 4:59am
post #27 of 39

omg, lmao @ myself. hearing ya'll talk about hicks and rednecks,, I am trying to go back over every one of my post and look at how COUNTRY or Redneck or hickish they are .. Omg, Tooo FUNNY! Its too late ya'll already know I am southern.. icon_lol.gif ya'll will have to over look me,, and if you need any more of the southern Slang,, Hollar at me! hehehehe
~Sweet~ =0)

veejaytx Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 5:56am
post #28 of 39

You haven't experienced hickdom until you have a person tell you "I'm gonna carry you out to dinner!"
or give you directions and say "its at the corner where the 'soandso's barn' used to be!" (My 80 year old stepfather in East Texas says these all the time!)

Fixin' and gettin' ready are standards as far as I'm concerned, right up there with ya'll! I'm a city girl myself, but have heard these terms all my life!
Janice

tcturtleshell Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 6:03am
post #29 of 39

I was talking to someone last night & I told her We's (we is) fixin to head on home!!!!!!!!!! I caught myself after I said that & was shocked that I said that!! I'm talking more & more country since we've moved to Bossier. I'm from around Nathchitoches & we talk pretty fast down there. Still country but fast. Up in Bossier they talk slow & very country & it's a large city! Go figure!

marknrox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknrox Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 11:18pm
post #30 of 39

tc. You're from Natchitoches? I have family there!

Down here in the swamp, we're not really called hicks, we're called coonasses!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%