Homebakers Show Us Your Licensed Kitchen

Business By schildwaster Updated 7 Aug 2007 , 9:20pm by yaya66ga

schildwaster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schildwaster Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 18

homebakers, let us see your licensed kitchens. it will give all of us wannabees a chance to see if ours stacks up. please... icon_redface.gif

17 replies
AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:42am
post #2 of 18

I am hoping tobe liscenced within 2 months icon_smile.gif I will make sure to post when I get certified/liscenced

Amanda

lcdmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcdmarie Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 18

I would love some examples too. icon_wink.gif

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 18

Where I am in Missouri you can't use your primary kitchen. You have to have a second kitchen that has it's own entrance.

Cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:09pm
post #5 of 18

Here are some pictures of the shop/kitchen we built from a one car garage and was approved by the health dept. Our inspector came to see the garage completely gutted and went with us over the floor plan and then told me things he would pass and would cost me less money. I live in Missouri and you can't use your home kitchen. I had to have a seperate entry door. It's worked out great and I'm very lucky to be able to do this from my home and yet be a legal set up as well. I have a checkout counter and shelves for pickup in an entry area and a small table and chairs for the brides to sit when looking at my portfolio. I got the largest 2 double ovens without going to industrial sizes.

Diane's Cakery
LL
LL
LL
LL

reneeisorym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reneeisorym Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 18

Lovely kitchen! In Mississippi, you have to have a floor drain and a three compartment sink!!

Cakery Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:10pm
post #7 of 18

It doesn't show in the other corner.....next to the other sinks.....I had a seperation there and I had to have a mop sink as well.....5 sinks total here in Missouri. At least I didn't have to buy the industrial sinks though and that saved me a ton of $$$! Under the first sink area is a "grease trap" that had to be installed as well with special plumbing. Lots of special rules for sure but it has to be done the proper way to be legal.

reneeisorym Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:15pm
post #8 of 18

i love all of the cabinets you have! I would LOVE to have that kitchen!

Cakery Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:32pm
post #9 of 18

Those were just unfinished cabinets. We ordered them and installed them ourselves to cut cost and then I just painted them. Everything in the shop had to be washable type paint.....and bright. I didn't want it all white but went with an off cream color.

schildwaster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schildwaster Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:55pm
post #10 of 18

wow. i envy you the space for boxes and cake boards.

this is my work area. i still need to stain and put up some molding. then this is my kitchen which needs some paint, stain and molding. and then we have to put the corian countertop on to match the rest of the kitchen. i was going to wait until my husband finished this before getting inspected, but with the countertop sitting in my dining room for 4 months now, i decided i didn't want to wait anymore. the other countertops only crime is, its ugly. otherwise it is still in good condition for being 35 years old. although he hasn't gotten the last countertop in, i have to give dh credit for putting the inlay i wanted in the floor and doing all the other countertops and making me my own work area.
LL
LL
LL

Cakery Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:04pm
post #11 of 18

Looks very nice and I'm sure it works well for you too. Sometimes in setting up these special added kitchens, we have to do what we can. I know a lady here in our town who added hers in her basement. Her husband had to make an entry door but that was her largest cost. So where there is a will....there is a way!

reneeisorym Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 12:05am
post #12 of 18

Oh I forgot to mention that in Mississippi, everything must be on wheels -- no cabinets -- You must have those counters on wheels... In fact the whole kitchen including the sink must be on wheels!!

tashaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tashaluna Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 6:14pm
post #13 of 18

Wow I wish I could get a home kitchen in georgia. (a speparate dommercial kitchen) I have the space but so far I have seen it is not allowed. You guys are lucky to have a state that lets you. (That saves on a ton of rent)

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 6:32pm
post #14 of 18

i have my kitchen pictures on my website. my hubby and i did it all ourselves. took some time, but it is wonderful to be able to go out there and lock myself away. i crank down the ac so it is cold. it is half a 2 car garage approx 10'x23'.

lorabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorabelle Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:25am
post #15 of 18

OOOH, I'm so jealous. All of your kitchens look great. For now I just need to be patient. At least that's what I keep telling myself....

Oniro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Oniro Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 2:53am
post #16 of 18

Okay here's a dumb question: Did anyone else have to hire an architect or engineer to draw up their kitchen plan? I found out this week that I can be licensed if I have a separate kitchen. In order to get started building I have to submit plans by an engineer or architect (did I just hear the sound of my bank account emptying out?) to the city to get my building permit. What's the difference between and engineer's drawinga vs an architect's? Is one preferable to the other? Oh - one more thing! Is anyone using industrial flooring (the rubbery stuff used in restaurant kitchens)? I'm sure I'll end up with ceramic tile but it's just so freakin' hard on the back and knees when you're standing for hours and hours...

MsCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsCakeLady Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 4:00am
post #17 of 18

cakery,
I love your kitchen.

Bake On Mama!

yaya66ga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yaya66ga Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 9:20pm
post #18 of 18

You can get commercial type rubber mats at LOWES to put on top of the ceramic tile in your work area where you stand to decorate to help with the hard floor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%