Flipping An Image/xp Users

Decorating By diane Updated 25 Jan 2005 , 10:44pm by GHOST_USER_NAME

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 16 Jan 2005 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 11

hey, to any xp users out there. i had a friend show me how to flip an image. you can't do it in word, but you can do it in paint!!
click on paint, then on image, and there it allows you to flip an image!!!
you can also save pictures there, which i did not know. if anyone has any questions email me at [email protected].
diane

10 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 18 Jan 2005 , 8:06am
post #2 of 11

Gee Diane, you just taught this old dog, er squirrel, a new trick. I always use one of the photo software programmes to flip pictures. I have never - can you believe it, used paint. So now that I know, I have another option, geesh, I may have to explore paint afterall since that is also where you can put your name on your photos. Guess I will have to set aside a day to check that out.
thanks for the tip,
Technically Challenged Old Squirrelly Cakes

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 18 Jan 2005 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 11

Just remember that Paint is a no frills program. It is much harder to center your print with this program. If you save it and then see a mistake, you can't go back.

When helping people with these matters and they have XP, I always suggest they use a program such as Print Shop or any of the millions like it. But Microsoft based programs are not user friendly at all when it comes to this subject.

You can also import, alter and export as a new JPEG using Print Shop with much ease. PAINT does cause a few headaches for those who may not be as computer savvy.

Just Beware. If using PAINT, take your time. Once saved, it's done.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 18 Jan 2005 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 11

Haha Dawnster,
I don't know much, but I do know to always take a copy of anything before I play. I usually use Photo Impression to reverse and now the new software that came with the new Digital. But I like the fact that I can reverse images elsewhere. I was thinking this would work well for cartoon images and bc transfers. Up until now, I have been using my stained glass software to play with images, but it is a bit more detailed and complex.
Sometimes I feel like a not so handyman with all of the tools needed to change the plumbing in the house and yet I shouldn't be trusted with anything more than a plunger, haha!
Why can't they make programmes that start off with, "Turn the computer on" and take you through every single step.
Hugs Squirrelly

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 21 Jan 2005 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 11

Actually, you can flip images in MS Word.

Insert your image from file or where-ever.
Select your image.[ie click on it]
Call up your Drawing Toolbar.
Click "Draw".
Select "flip'" vertically or horizontally.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 22 Jan 2005 , 8:47am
post #6 of 11

no, not really.
if you have the xp version, you can't.
that's what this whole discussion was about.
it depends on what version you have.

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 22 Jan 2005 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 11

That's right. I'll never understand why the supposedly upgrade of using XP lost many easy-to-use features... It is not at all user-friendly with Microsoft software...at all, like their other operating systems are.

Yes, SC, it goes without saying for anything we do in a computer to save the original. Not just flipping. It amazes me how many people don't do that before getting burned and then blame others for not putting it in our directions.

SAVE ALL ORIGINALS!!!!! IN EVERYTHING YOU DO!!!!!!!!

OK- It's been said yet again. Hopefully everyone will get it.

The bottom line, if you have XP, you must use an editing program to do what you used to do with Word, Works, or Publisher. Paint works fine but it's not easy to fix mistakes. You have to start all over.

Personally, I say go to your discount software bargain bin, buy a $10 version of a desktop publishing program and have all the bells and whistles available. This does NOT remove your original. So you don't even have to remember to save that. They are VERY user-friendly.

I even made a tutorial for Print Shop users (and other desktop programs) to import digital pictures, alter them, and export back to a JPEG and never lose your original.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 Jan 2005 , 11:56pm
post #8 of 11

Well Diane and Dawn, that is why I had no problems with the old computer and Windows 98 and with XP I have a problem. Heck, I have so many programmes on this computer I don't know what to do with, it isn't even funny. All thanks to my compukid. So if I set aside a year or two, I might even be able to go through them and see which ones I like best.
Yes that take a copy rule is surely a good one. Not a lot that I do know, but that one is always in the forefront.
Some programmes are a lot more straightforward than others and you come to expect the same terms to be used in similar programmes - and of course, they are not because that would make things too simple, haha!
Oh well, somehow we manage to struggle on forward and figure things out with a lot of help from our friends. Thanks!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 23 Jan 2005 , 2:48am
post #9 of 11

I had XP for 3 days and trashed it, went back to ME. Joan has it in her laptop and gripes all the time.

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 25 Jan 2005 , 2:30pm
post #10 of 11

I have XP and never figured anything out, so I went and bought Corel Print Office 2000. This is amazing, I can do anything on this. Good luck!

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 25 Jan 2005 , 10:44pm
post #11 of 11

Corel is a great program. I've been using it for at least 15 years and it only keeps getting better. You can also export your project into a JPEG using that program!! Good deal!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%