What Kind Of Wire Do I Buy For Flowers And Such?

Decorating By Dreme Updated 17 Sep 2006 , 5:15am by playingwithsugar

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 5

Never used wire or floral tape on my flowers before. Is there a special kind for cake bakers?

4 replies
rhondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondie Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 1:03am
post #2 of 5

I'd like to know the same thing.

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 5:06am
post #3 of 5

Ok I just tried it with some wire I happen to have on hand. I tried jewerly maker's wire but it was too flimsy. Then I tried a more heavy duty thin wire but its not the right color plus it leaves black smudges on the flowers.

I need help!

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 5:14am
post #4 of 5

You need different wires for different flowers - i keep a range of 18 gage to 32 gage on hand.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 5:15am
post #5 of 5

We generally just use the fabric-covered floral wire that is available at the craft stores. You must make sure that you tape the bare end, if you are inserting it into a cake.

Floral wire comes in different gauges, with the lower numbers being thicker wire, and vice versa. The choice you make depends on the flower you are making, and whether it is made from separate petals, such as a giant rose, or a plastic cutter that includes all the petals in one cut.

For most flowers, a good choice is 24-28 gauge. Some flowers, like a tulip or sunflower, that have thick stems, need a smaller gauge, like 16.

If you are just beginning to learn sugarpaste flowers, I would heartily suggest that you use a heavier gauge to start, until you are more accustomed to handling the wire.

You can PM me with any other questions.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%