Dry Edges On Extender Recipe - How Do I Avoid This?

Baking By burgie Updated 30 Jul 2007 , 6:56pm by citygirlcakes

burgie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
burgie Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 2:42am
post #1 of 15

I am new to this website, but admit I'm addicted!!! I have tried the extender cake recipe twice and both times my edges were very dry. I baked it at 325 for 45 minutes and the middle was not done, so I cooked it for 55 minutes total. I did use a 9 x 13 pyrex dish, greased w/ Crisco and flour. Is the pyrex the problem?

Any suggestions / advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

14 replies
kcat3740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcat3740 Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 2:58am
post #2 of 15

Well, I am fairly new myself - but I never try to cook cakes in glass pan (other than something like a dump cake) Also, did you possibly fill the pan to full? I would definately try a metal pan.....hope that will help. Good luck and happy baking!

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:03am
post #3 of 15

Any time you bake in glass you need to turn the oven temp down 25 degrees. icon_smile.gif

Jodie

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:03am
post #4 of 15

I don't usually use glass cookware I do find it dries out the cake. I'm sorry I'v never used an extender before so I cannot give you advice there.

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:04am
post #5 of 15

Welcome to CC!!!! I think it might be the Pyrex dish. I have never baked anything in a Pyrex dish that didn't have crunchy edges. I use the extender recipe in a metal pan and it has never given me any problems. Hope this helps.

burgie Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 1:24am
post #6 of 15

I gearing up for my son's 2nd birthday and want his cake to be perfect. I did buy a big Wilton cake pan for his special day, but it's just too big for practice. I am so happy to hear it's most likely the pyrex. Thank you to all for your quick responses!!!

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 5:50pm
post #7 of 15

burgie - how big is your new wilton pan? You may want to consider using a flower nail else you may have the same issue of needing to bake for a long time for the middle to get done. You'll love the extender recipe; I use it all the time (especially with flavored yogurts!).

mjpbmf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjpbmf Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 6:38pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe1

burgie - how big is your new wilton pan? You may want to consider using a flower nail else you may have the same issue of needing to bake for a long time for the middle to get done. You'll love the extender recipe; I use it all the time (especially with flavored yogurts!).

How do you use the flower nail?? I am assuming it's just a regular Wilton flower nail that you use for frosting flowers?? I am a newbie myself and LOVE all the information I can soak up on this website!!

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 8:18pm
post #9 of 15

mjpbmf - yes, its the nail you use for making flowers. Just grease the nail well and place in the middle of the pan before adding your cake batter. When you remove your cake from the pan the nail should come out easily when you flip it over. I only use on pans larger than 9".

mjpbmf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjpbmf Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 8:46pm
post #10 of 15

snowshoe1 - Thanks so much! I will have to try this next time I bake a "big" cake.

CakesOnly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesOnly Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 8:29am
post #11 of 15

This my be a stupid question, but what is extender recipes?

burgie Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:39am
post #12 of 15

snowshoe1,

I bought the Wilton 12 x 18 pan for my son's bday. I'm not sure I understand the flower nail concept. Is this to help the center pop out of the pan when you flip it or does this help heat the center when baking? I'm sorry, I guess I'm REALLY new to this and I don't understand.

What temp and length of bake time do you recommend for the extender recipe and for this size?

My son's bday is August 17, so I've got a little time to learn a few more tricks. Thanks again!

burgie Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:44am
post #13 of 15

cakes only,

You can find the extender cake recipe in the recipe section of this website. It was ranked high, so I just gave it a shot. You add ingredients to a prepackaged box and it makes a higher 9 x 13 cake.

CakesOnly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesOnly Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 7:47am
post #14 of 15

Burgie- Thanks

citygirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
citygirlcakes Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 6:56pm
post #15 of 15

I have made cake strips out of a towel - simply cut the towel into strips, wet, and wrap around the cake pan - secure with a safety pin or one of those clamp-style paper clips. This prevents the sides from baking before the rest of the cake does.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%