Icing Bags

Decorating By mimimil Updated 4 Jul 2005 , 11:05pm by gilpnh

mimimil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimimil Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 26

Hi all,

I saw this show last night where they were decorating a cake and the icing bag looked like it was made out of fabric... it wasn't parchment or plastic... does anyone know what I am talking about?? If so where could I find them??

Thanks!

25 replies
Misska21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misska21 Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 12:08am
post #2 of 26

I have a few of these. The ones I have are Ateco, I got them at Smart and Final. Just the outside looks like fabric, but the inside is coated with plastic. Not sure if that is the same thing that you saw...

Jess

letseatcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letseatcake Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 12:24am
post #3 of 26

Check a restaurant supply store they carry them.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 12:33am
post #4 of 26

CK Products and Ateco make these bags.....they are heavy duty and you can get a good grip on the bags!

mimimil Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 26

Thank you ladies! I guess I will be paying a visit to Smart n Final icon_smile.gif

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 5:02pm
post #6 of 26

those canvas-type bags with the plastic-interior coating are marvelous for getting a good grip -- even when they're wet! and they stand up nicely on their own for drying.

mimimil Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 5:21pm
post #7 of 26

Thanks for the feedback Aunt Judy icon_smile.gif I will definitely look for them to try them out

mrsrunning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsrunning Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 5:28pm
post #8 of 26

I don't think I have a smart and final by me but I am going to lok on e-bay for some

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 11:50am
post #9 of 26

I was fortunate to find three brand new still in package, 21" bags at a flea market and only paid $2.00. Couldn't believe how big they look. Will use these for my big tip that I use for icing cake.

caduchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caduchi Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 11:57am
post #10 of 26

I have one of those, but it's from tuppenware. Very good.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 12:04pm
post #11 of 26

Can't wait to try mine!!!!

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 12:40pm
post #12 of 26

I cannot find 20+ inch bags anywhere here, want them for my icer tip, was going to have to special order. My husband, a contractor, was telling me about "grout bags" they are cloth, brand new, can be cut to fit and are about 24ish inches, you can find them at Home Depot, Lowes, I am on my way to check them out!!!

magentaa23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magentaa23 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 12:45pm
post #13 of 26

the only thing bad bout canvas bags is they absorb color, get greasy after awhile and if not fully dried before storing away.. they mold!

dackn8tr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dackn8tr Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 9:59pm
post #14 of 26

i got one of the ateco canvas bags from pattycakes.com and didn't care much for it but that's just me. i got the big one for my icer tip and that might be why, it just got to greasy by the time i finished icing the cake.
gilpnh i get my 20" and 24" bags from country kitchens and i love them, they're not canvas but a nice plastic that's easy to hang on to.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 10:02pm
post #15 of 26

The bag I used was canvas on the outside and is plastic in the inside... no grease got to the canvas on the outside of the bag.. I really liked the one I used...

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 2:06am
post #16 of 26

I just bought a wilton featherlite (or something) for my large icer tip. Are these the same? It seems I still have to refill quite a bit.

Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 2:19am
post #17 of 26

beachcakes:
It sounds like you bought a Wilton "featherweight" bag which should work fine with your icer tip. I use a 16 inch or more for mine which would help with frequent refilling.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 2:59am
post #18 of 26

Yes Darstus, thank you! I knew i had it wrong! icon_redface.gif

gilpnh Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 4:23pm
post #19 of 26

My DH just brought me home a 24inch "grout bag" from Home Depot. It is lightweight canvas on the outside and vinyl on the inside, and get this, its machine wasable on delicate! Oh joy, have a stacked wedding cake to feed 300 in a few weeks, cant wait to try it out!

Misska21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misska21 Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 7:57pm
post #20 of 26

My Wilton instructor told me that she throws her featherweight bags in with her bleach loads. Does anyone else do this?

Darstus Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 12:42am
post #21 of 26

I don't know of anyone that washes them in bleach but I know some that put them in the dishwasher as long as they have some way to anchor them on the top rack.

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 12:49am
post #22 of 26

ill have to try to find some of these

gilpnh Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 11:40pm
post #23 of 26

Here is a picture of my "New" Icing Bag. It is a grout bag, DH bought it at Home Depot for 4ish dollars. It is a 24inch, I cut about 2.5 inch off to fit the icer tip. It is vinyl on inside, lightweight canvas on outside. My only dilema will be home will I hold this monster AND turn the turntable, it is a 2 handed bag it is so bag (cuts down on refills though) going to have DH pick me up another one since I have to icer tips. You can also buy at paint shop or brickyard and pay about $12 for them.

Heather
LL

Darstus Posted 4 Jul 2005 , 3:36pm
post #24 of 26

I too would have problems holding such a large bag but I have personally observed decorators that have the longer bags just toss it over their shoulder and pipe while holding it lower. When needed, they just work more icing down the bag. If I did this, I would probably tie the end with a rubber band as I am notoious for making a mess! Just ask my husband! icon_biggrin.gif

magentaa23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magentaa23 Posted 4 Jul 2005 , 3:40pm
post #25 of 26

thats funny.. thats exactly what i do at work... just prop it on my shoulder... i havent made a mess yet of it icon_wink.gif.. i better go knock on wood now coz with my luck the next time i do it itll fall out of the bag icon_wink.gif

gilpnh Posted 4 Jul 2005 , 11:05pm
post #26 of 26

This is exactly why I love this place!! I would have NEVER thought to put it over my shoulder DUHHHHH icon_rolleyes.gif that is such a great idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%