How Much Should I Charge?

Decorating By siahsammi Updated 23 Jul 2007 , 2:12am by okieinalaska

siahsammi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
siahsammi Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 6

I got an order to make a 3d fondant race car. I don't know how much I should charge? I am also making 70 corset cookies with fondant and I don't know how much to charge? Can you help me out here?

THANK YOU!!!!

5 replies
Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know where you are located ~ that does make a difference. But I would not even TOUCH a 3D fondant covered anything for less than $60! (Of course, I say that, then I get the wide eyes of disbelief, then I change my price... but it SHOULD be no less than $60!)

The cookies would vary, but if you are decorating the tops to look like wedding dresses, I would certainly say $1.50 to $2.00 per cookie. Those will be time consuming!

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 6

Starkie that's still too cheap in my opinion. Especially the cookies! Cookies are a pain in the backside. I would charge no less than $3.00 a cookie and more possibly especially if they are bagged.

edited to add: you say corset cookies but don't show the design so depending on the design and size it could be a lot more. Also what size fondant 3d racer?

katerpillrgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katerpillrgrl Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 6

What is it made out of? How long do you think it would take? Rural area or metrolpolitan area?
How large is it? Where is your skill level?

siahsammi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
siahsammi Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 12:42am
post #5 of 6

MY SKILL LEVEL IS GOOD I GET ALOT OF CUSTOMERS BUT NOT FOR THE RACE CAR. AND FOR THE COOKIES I'M OKAY. I JUST KNOW IT'S ALOT OF COOKIES. THEY WANT THE CAR BIG. IT WILL BE OUT OF MMF. AND THE COOKIES 5' WITH MMF.

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 2:12am
post #6 of 6

If you went by the $1 an inch theory on the cookies that would be $5 per cookie. I don't think that's outlandish at all either. Your hands are gonna be achin' after you do 100.

For a big 3 d race car out of fondant (still not sure how big big is) I would charge $150 depending on detail, size and the look you are going for. My little car in my avatar was small and I wouldnt do it for less than $50. By small I mean feeds 3-5 people only.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%