Okay Everybody, Answer This Question!

Decorating By patton78 Updated 20 May 2018 , 9:24pm by CalaMom

pieface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieface Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:00pm
post #241 of 511

I'm a newbie and just getting hooked to cake decorating and CC. I swear CC is HIGHLY addictive! icon_twisted.gif
So far, the things I've learned and tested on here are great!
Using a folded damp towel for baking strips.
Using a hot spatula to smooth out icing.
Coffee creamer for added flavor.

There are so many other tips that I can't wait to try out....I think the Melvira Method is the one I'm most excited about. I cant wait to test the flower nail either and make cake balls.

Oh, and also...for storage, using a fisherman's tackle box. It has so many compartments/drawers for different sized tips, colors, spatulas, etc. I don't know if that was a CC tip or if someone told me that icon_confused.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:08pm
post #242 of 511

Where do I start.....

1. Flower nail trick
2. Melvira Method thumbs_up.gif
3. Adding a bit of sour cream to scratch cake (makes moist and yummy cake)

4. Laying MMF on warm cookies
5. Icing bullet

I have yet to try the FBCT or the Choc Transfer.

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:16pm
post #243 of 511

Covering dummys with saran wrap
Rolling fondant over a silpad -no more corn starch-
this are two that come to mind, but there are sooooo many.
I love love love this site
Paola

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:20pm
post #244 of 511

Viva trick, FBCT, recipes,on and on....

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:29pm
post #245 of 511

Ok, so I have just finished readin 17 pages from top to bottom of posts!!! THANK YOU ALL SOOO MUCH FOR ALL THE GREAT IDEAS!
But some of these ideas raise some questions and I would love some help...
#1 How long do you recommend keeping a frozen cake?
#2 What the heck are "sugar bubbles" that feverfixer is talking about?
#3 What is an "icing bullet" that tyty is talking about?
#4 where can I get a "silpad"
#5 What is the upside down frosting technic?
#6 What do you use to "paint" on fondont?

I love there is one place that you can go and find everything you are looking for THANKS CC.

shelleylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelleylynn Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:36pm
post #246 of 511

Hi everyone,

I would have to say:

1, fbct
2, Melvira method
3, viva (las vegas!! LOL)
4.all the great people on this site that is so helpful and willing to share there "know how" and beautiful work!!!

I have to say what a great question to post! It was fun reading all the results!!

christyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christyA Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:13pm
post #247 of 511

Reesesob -

Quote:
Quote:

1. I've heard a couple of months, provided they are well wrapped.
2. I'd like to know what sugar bubbles are too!
3. The icing bullet is a bit of icing wrapped up in plastic wrap with the tip cut off and placed into a piping bag. Makes getting the icing into the bag easier and less messy. I haven't tried it yet but I can't wait! There are posts with pictures on the site that have a better explanation.
4. You can get a Silpat at any kitchen supply store. Silpat is the original but you can use any silicone baking sheet. I've got some, however that have little ridges on them and they transfer to the fondant. So, you need to make sure you find one that is smooth.
5. There is a demo of the upside-down icing method someone around CC, but the concept is that you start with the top layer of icing and build the cake backwards. When you turn the cake over, the top of the cake is smooth. I've wanted to try this too but have been too chicken.
6. I just made a guitar cake where I painted on fondant. I mixed a solution of gel color with vodka and it painted very nicely. Of course, you can use petal dust or lustre dust mixed with vodka or an airbrush.

I am more of a lurker than a poster on CC, but I have gathered so many great tidbits of info on here. I can't begin to tell you all of the things I've learned. Even just from this thread alone, I've learned about 3 or 4 new techniques I want to try! I think the favorite thing about this site is the gallery though. When I have a cake I want to do, I go to the gallery first to get ideas from others' cakes. Then I search the forums to find out about lessons learned.

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:16pm
post #248 of 511

christyA THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
See where else can you say, I ask a question (or 6) and get an answer within the hour?!
Is painting on fondont ok for kids cakes? Why can't you just use water?

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:18pm
post #249 of 511

violet cancelling yellow

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:20pm
post #250 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by reesesob

Ok, so I have just finished readin 17 pages from top to bottom of posts!!! THANK YOU ALL SOOO MUCH FOR ALL THE GREAT IDEAS!
But some of these ideas raise some questions and I would love some help...

I love there is one place that you can go and find everything you are looking for THANKS CC.

Let me see if I can help you.

#1~ I have personally kept a cake frozen in the freezer for two weeks before I decorated it. It was wrapped in foil and plastic wrap and it was just as moist as the day I baked it.

#2~ Here is a couple of links that may help you with that. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-7758.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-8270.html

#3~ Here isa great link with pictures that explains it perfectly.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-38404-tip.html

#4~ I don't have a silpad, but what I do is use a piece of vinyl to roll my fondant on. You can pick it up in any fabric store or even Wal-mart.

#5~ http://www.cakecentral.com/article6-Upside-Down-Icing-Technique-for-Perfectly-Smooth-Icing.html

#6~ You can use your gel colors straight or you can thin them with a little vodka to paint. You can also use luster dusts and such mixed with vodka to paint on fondant.

I hope that helps!

christyA Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:27pm
post #251 of 511

Reesesob - The alcohol evaporates, leaving behind the color. Or at least that's what I've understood. I just heard something on FoodTV that the alcohol never entirely cooks out of a sauce, so perhaps there is still some alcohol left on the cake? Probably not enough to intoxicate a child though. I suppose if you want to stay away from alcohol altogether, you can use a clear extract instead.

I've been told to stay away from water, but I don't have a good technical answer for you as to why. But perhaps someone else has an answer for you.

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:36pm
post #252 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by christyA

Reesesob - The alcohol evaporates, leaving behind the color. Or at least that's what I've understood. I just heard something on FoodTV that the alcohol never entirely cooks out of a sauce, so perhaps there is still some alcohol left on the cake? Probably not enough to intoxicate a child though. I suppose if you want to stay away from alcohol altogether, you can use a clear extract instead.

I've been told to stay away from water, but I don't have a good technical answer for you as to why. But perhaps someone else has an answer for you.

Water and gel typically don't mix well ... the colors are not evenly distributed as with alcohol. Also, it won't evaporate as quickly as the alcohol and may be too runny.

Also, most clear extracts have an alcohol content. I don't think it's going to be a real problem with a child's cake, but you might want to forego using the alcohol so there is no question.

HTH,

Odessa

RoseCitySugarcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:41pm
post #253 of 511

aobodessa's right that extracts contain alcohol, but with the minimal amount you would be using to thin a paste color to painting consistency, it does evaporate away entirely. No worries for kids there! icon_smile.gif All you're left with is the hint of flavor from the extract. That in itself could detract from icing and cake flavors, which is why I use vodka, no taste left behind.

HTH,

~ Scott

wesmanfamily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wesmanfamily Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:49pm
post #254 of 511

I LOVE the Melvira Method!!! I could never get my cake to smooth the way I wanted it to and now it just looks amazing!!!
Thank you CC!! icon_smile.gif

Nitu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nitu Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:49pm
post #255 of 511

I learned lots of things but few of them I have to mention are HELP, FBCT, MMF and most importantly I got very true friends those are with me since I am joined but never saw each other even in pictures.

Thanks
Nitu

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 6:01pm
post #256 of 511

I would have to say FBCT, freezing my cakes, creamer for flavor, MMF, sour cream in mixes, cake enhancer with pudding and egg, my list could go on and on. I just learned 2 more as I was reading this. This site ROCKS icon_wink.gif

reese04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reese04 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 6:17pm
post #257 of 511

Pudding in cakes, RI Tiara, all the great pics, all the great comments! I love CC. I spend so much time here now. ( Hope I don't get in trouble @ work)LOL. icon_smile.gif

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 7:22pm
post #258 of 511

What a great thread!!

I'll have to investigate this Melvira method.
I think the playdough fun factory idea from krazykakes is Awesome!! Me and fondant don't get along at all so this sounds right up my alley!!

I had no idea about the tips in the micro!

I think my fav. tip so far was by 7yyrt : 3. Your cake will never be perfect (TO YOU) and that's okay.

This is soooo true. I need to embrace this.

I unfortunately have no new or different tips to add... but can't wait to see what others come up with icon_biggrin.gif

reese04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reese04 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 7:27pm
post #259 of 511

Keep 'em coming. I love this!!! icon_biggrin.gif

prettynpinkdi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettynpinkdi1 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 7:38pm
post #260 of 511

I have to say the Viva method! I love it!!!! I had no idea on how to smooth my icing icon_smile.gif

tabs8774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabs8774 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 7:46pm
post #261 of 511

omg sooo many!!!! but id say........

1..mmf!!!!! best ever and noone off cc knows what im talking about!!

2..cake scraps!!!! my kids hate this one cuz they cant eat the xt cake anymore!!

3..the blue/violet trick is also a gtreat one for the perfect white bc!!!

BlairsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlairsMom Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 8:09pm
post #262 of 511

Like so many others I would have tosay MMF and I know a lot have mentioned viva but I LOVE THE MELVIRA METHOD!!!!! That works great and is so quick and easy just roll and go and my cakes are so smooth now! Thanks so much for that article!

iluvcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvcakes5 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 8:34pm
post #263 of 511

Wow!!! Thank you, all, for your tips. I started my cake decorating with just a dream. I had no idea that there was so much you could do!!!! Because of CC - I am getting my feet on the ground and am able to feel comfortable as a "newbie" when I get a cake order and it is something that I have never done before - because I know that I have tons of support here. Now, with that "thank you" said...

1) The add-ins(pudding, sour cream, and creamers) to a cake mix to make it taste amazing - have not tried the creamer one, but look forward to doing so.
2) the saran wrapping icing - I was horrible at filling my bag until now!!!
3) wrapping cake in saran wrap and then laying it top down to cool - instant leveler!!!
4) Cake Central
God Bless you all and Cake Central

luvcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvcake Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 9:21pm
post #264 of 511

FBCT AND Chocolate transfer, I just love them and CC too !!!!

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 11:59pm
post #265 of 511

Best thing ever, finding the CC site in the first place! I think there is a warmth and humanity about it that is unique - I wish I were living in the USA. I know they say the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence and all that but I do have a hankering.

Then of course, discovering all the different recipes for cakes and frostings - I was never very adventurous before.

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 1:55am
post #266 of 511

Iheartcakes, what was that about a playdough fun factory? I must have missed it. Please tell. This sounds very cool to me. I think my kids will have some missing toys! LOL!

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 5:02am
post #267 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorioustwelfth

Best thing ever, finding the CC site in the first place! I think there is a warmth and humanity about it that is unique - I wish I were living in the USA. I know they say the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence and all that but I do have a hankering.

Then of course, discovering all the different recipes for cakes and frostings - I was never very adventurous before.

That's funny--I was just thinking today about how badly I want to see England again! I lived in England when I was 11 and 12, first for four months in Reading, then we lived in a little town in Buckinghamshire for another year or so. I loved it there!

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 5:08am
post #268 of 511

Anybody know where to get the Playdough Fun Factory? I looked at Toys R Us today and didn't find it. I also just looked online with no luck. I have a small clay gun that I use for fondant decorations, but it's not very easy to use. I'd like to try something else.

christyA Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 5:40am
post #269 of 511

I actually found one at Dillons grocery store (Kroger chain). It was back a couple of months ago so it might have been part of their Christmas section.

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 11:41am
post #270 of 511

NikkiDoc, this is what was written about the fun factory:

"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Favorite thing I learned from here was on a topic "what's your favorite tool". I Absolutely LOVE my playdough Fun Factory!!!! Works wonder for fondant borders ect. Only tool I used on my grad cake in my gallery. Including the tassles on the hat. Not Bad for $4.99!!! "

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%