Covering Cake With Modeled Chocolate

Decorating By GIAcakes Updated 11 Jan 2013 , 5:29pm by angel4utwo

GIAcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIAcakes Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 20

I read that you can cover a cake using modeling chocolate. I'm wondering if this works the same as fondant? I would like to try something that tastes better than fondant . Any tips on applying it and does it hold up well, weather etc.?

19 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 20

It works very much like fondant and holds up fine in weather.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 20

Yes, they are great to cover cakes like this.. this is not a cake I made, but that how my wedding was made by the people who made this cake. I used to make my cakes like this before I got into fondant..
LL

tthardy78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tthardy78 Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 20

What is a good brand of modeling choc. to use? And where can I get this?

prettycake Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 20

I've always made my own.. it's easy..

All you need is Candy melts and Corn cyrup.
Molded chocolate is aka Chocolate clay, chocolate plastic and chocolate leather.

I bag of candy Melts (14 oz. ?)
13 cup of corn syrup

Melt the candy melts, then add the corn syrup..
Let it set then knead like Fondant and use like Fondant. icon_smile.gif

tthardy78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tthardy78 Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 7:17pm
post #6 of 20

Thank you so much.

Lorekitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorekitty Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 20

I make my own, I mix 10 ounces of melted white chocolate with 6 tablespoons of light corn syrup, you will need to wraped it in plastic wrap and let it stand at room temp. overnight. It will feel hard but as you work it with your hands it will get softer. icon_smile.gif

laepple Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laepple Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 7:20pm
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettycake

Molded chocolate is aka Chocolate clay, chocolate plastic and chocolate leather.

13 cup of corn syrup

Hi Prettycake, I have question.. is it 13 cups of corn syrup or 1/3 of a cup? I want to try this!!

THanks,

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 7:25pm
post #9 of 20

Wow that sounds so cool! Can you roll it out like fondant? I may switch completely to modeling chocolate! I haven't found a fondant that works well for me yet - although I've found some that taste good - like a white chocolate one and rolled buttercream - but who doesn't like chocolate?? (or at least white chocolate)? That could be a great alternative! How much does that recipe make? And is it 1/3 or 13? 13 seems like a heck of a lot!!!!

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 7:26pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepple

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettycake

13 cup of corn syrup

Hi Prettycake, I have question.. is it 13 cups of corn syrup or 1/3 of a cup? I want to try this!!

THanks,

I'll jump in and say that's a THIRD of a cup lol. I noticed that too. I love the candy clay recipe- fun to work with- never used to cover yet- god I'm just learning to use MMF lol. That cake up there is sure pretty lol

prettycake Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 8:19pm
post #11 of 20

Oh my God !! I meant

1/3 cup of corn syrup icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

imartsy Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:00am
post #12 of 20

Does anyone know exactly how much that ends up making?? Like what size cake could you cover with it?? And does it alter the chocolate's taste? I was just thinking this might be a great idea for my husband's cake.... can you cut it like fondant too? Like in shapes?

Oh and how long does candy clay last? If I'm going to do this I'd like to make it today and then decorate the cake on Wed or Thurs and we'll be eating it Friday - can I do that??? I'm so excited that I might be able to do this - I think he would love it!

Lorekitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorekitty Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:11am
post #13 of 20

The recipe I posted yields 1 cup, you will have to make at least double, depending on the size of you cake. You can use it just like fondant, but as you work it becomes softer, just leave it in the fridge for a few minutes and you can keep working with it. I'm not sure how long you can keep it for but I've been told it keeps for some time. I hope I answer all your questions.

imartsy Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 2:44pm
post #14 of 20

So has anyone tried to use this to cover a cake that was first covered in ganache? Does that sound like too much?

Also, if you use candy clay, do you need to refrigerate it? If you were doing this in the summer (well it's not summer anymore but for future reference) would you put it in the fridge?

imartsy Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 4:56pm
post #15 of 20

hopefully my questions in this thread are helping others too - just didn't want to start ANOTHER thread when I could combine it here - hope no one minds!

angel4utwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angel4utwo Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 5:29am
post #16 of 20

AI am wondering the same thing. How long does it last for? I have mine in the fridge right now. And are you able to cut out patterns before hand? I have a huge baby cake to do for a baby shower and would like to get ahead start. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated :)

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 6:27am
post #17 of 20

http://www.hungryhappenings.com/p/chocolate-making-tips.html

This site contains tips and tricks for working with modeling chocolate and candy melts.

I made modeling chocolate once and ended up with an oily mess, I used her tip to continue kneading the oil back in with corn syrup and my chocolate was saved.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 2:45pm
post #18 of 20

Also look at www.wickedgoodies.net for pics and a lot of info on candy clay.

Once it is on the cake, it will last as long as the cake does. By itself, no need for the fridge.

If you want to cut out shapes ahead of time, lay them on sheets of baking parchment and stack them up. Put them into a bag to prevent drying out.

Use CANDY colors if you have to colour this stuff--oil based--or paste.  Better to buy precoloured candy melts if you need dark colours.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 4:20pm
post #19 of 20

This cake was a 7 inch red velvet filled and crumb coated with white chocolate/sour cream ganache (2 lbs white chocolate melted combined with a 1 lb container of full fat sour cream) and covered with black candy clay (14 oz Wilton black candy melts melted combined with 1/3 cup of white corn syrup).  The birthday boy was given the cake on a Friday and didn't cut it till Sunday.  He said it was perfect.  He followed instructions and kept the cut area covered with plastic wrap and said the final piece was as good as the first when he had it on Wednesday.

http://grandmasugarskitchen.blogspot.ca/2013/01/happy-birthday-tyler.html

hth

angel4utwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angel4utwo Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 5:27pm
post #20 of 20

AThank you, that site is very helpful. As I was replying back is when your posts showed. Thanks so much for the helpful tips :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%