Imbc And Smbc

Decorating By flavacakes Updated 13 Aug 2007 , 4:18am by ShirleyW

flavacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavacakes Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 3:42am
post #1 of 64

What's the difference between the two? Which is better tasting? I see alot of people on here talk about IMBC but not too much about SMBC. Which is easier to make?

Sorry for all the questions! TIA!

63 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 3:59am
post #2 of 64

The taste and texture are very close to being the same. Two different methods of making the icing, I think IMBC is very fast and easy to make, others feel SMBC is easier. I think you have to experiment and find the one that works best for you.

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 4:10am
post #3 of 64

For SMBC, you cook egg whites and sugar, whip it to a meringue, then add butter. For IMBC you whip the egg whites and then add in a syrup made of sugar and water, then add in butter. They are both meringue based buttercreams just made a little different. I normally use SMBC. I haven't actually tried the IMBC yet, but alot of people here on CC swear by it.

rits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rits Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 4:11am
post #4 of 64

In my experience, I've found IMBC to be more stable on warm days, and for a longer time. You might try both methods & see which you prefer.

Best,

Jen N

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 4:14am
post #5 of 64

Yes, IMBC is more stable. I prefer SMBC just because it is easier for me to make (like 7 batches each weekend in a 5qt KA).

You can use the same recipe to make either, just the different procedure as mentioned by the pp.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 4:17am
post #6 of 64

I haven't found SMBC to be unstable..it is very easy to make, especially with the pasteurized egg whites!
IMBC and SMBC taste pretty well the same...AND they pipe and ice like a dream..so silky smooth.

If you make the chocolate version of these, you'll think you have died and gone to heaven..delish!!!!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 4:21am
post #7 of 64

oooh oooh oooh better than chocolate is HONEY mmm....

And its not that SMBC isn't stable, just that IMBC is MROE stable. You can actually melt IMBC down some and pour it, but it won't work with SMBC (ok, I never tried it and failed with SMBC, but thats what my chef said)

flavacakes Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 5:28pm
post #8 of 64

Thanks guys! Would you mind telling me some variations for either that you guys like? For instance, chocolate, mocha, lemon or any fruit flavor. And how much do you add?

Thanks again!! icon_wink.gif

RRGibson Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 5:39pm
post #9 of 64

Does anybody know where I can find the pasteurized egg whites? That would make my life so much easier!!

The latest thing I've done with the SMBC was add amaretto coffee creamer and almond extract. It was a hit with white chocolate cake. That's what my first bride picked for her wedding cake. I've also done it with lemon curd and strawberry puree. The strawberry almost tastes like ice cream!

flavacakes Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 5:57pm
post #10 of 64

Do you buy the strawberry puree or make it? If you make it, how did you do it and how much did you add? TIA!

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 6:09pm
post #11 of 64
Quote:
Quote:

Does anybody know where I can find the pasteurized egg whites? That would make my life so much easier!!

You will find it at the grocery store near the eggs but in a little carton along with the egg beaters and that sort of thing...
They are sooo convenient.

I use McCain smoothies fruit from the frozen juice part of the store...they come in little containers like fruit cups but are just fruit puree intended to become a smoothie...I thaw a little container and add it to the SMBC when it is done...beat it in well and add a bit more flavouring (Lorann) of the same type to enhance the flavour...people love then!!!
There is mango/orange, wild berries, strawberry banana and pineapple coconut.. all delish..
I add Grand Marnier quite often...about 3 tbsp or so..maybe more...I just keep on adding it little by little till the taste is good..
I think chocolate is my favourite..I add 300 gms of Callebault semi-sweet callets (melted and cooled) to a recipe and it is so good!!
I know you can add cream cheese to it as well...read it in Confetti cakes book...haven't tried that yet..
I have also added ganache to it as well and that is really good...
You can also lay smbc down and then add sliced strawberries and then add more smbc..the butter content in the icing seals in the strawberry juice and doesn't leak into the cake....
HTH
Jane

RRGibson Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 9:11pm
post #12 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavacakes

Do you buy the strawberry puree or make it? If you make it, how did you do it and how much did you add? TIA!

I take frozen strawberries and just add sugar to taste. Then I blend them with one of those immersion hand blenders. Would probably be easier in a food processor but I haven't purchased one yet. Then I strain the puree to get rid of all of the seeds. For one batch of SMBC I add about 1/2 cup. It's really very tasty. And I'm sure you could probably do it with any fresh fruit.

RRGibson Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 9:14pm
post #13 of 64

[quote="JaneK"]

Quote:
Quote:

You will find it at the grocery store near the eggs but in a little carton along with the egg beaters and that sort of thing...
They are sooo convenient.

You know, I bought some one time that was over in that section. When I got them home I tried to beat and beat and they wouldn't whip. Then, I read on the carton that they were not suitable for meringue icon_sad.gif I felt like such an idiot. Then it said that for meringue there is something called whipping whites but I can't find them anywhere!!

flavacakes Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 12:25am
post #14 of 64

Thank you so much!! That sounds delish. What's an immersion hand blender? icon_redface.gif

RRGibson Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 2:23am
post #15 of 64
Quote:

Thank you so much!! That sounds delish. What's an immersion hand blender? icon_redface.gif

Oh it's just one of those little stick blenders. Like the ones that used to be on infomercials that you can stick down in a cup and make a smoothie supposedly or whip cream with. But if you have a food processor, I think that would definitely be better.

flavacakes Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:00am
post #16 of 64

Oooooh, I know what you're talking about. I don't have a food processor. Or the thing that you have. I guess I'm out of luck! I guess I could use the blender? I hate lugging that thing out! icon_lol.gif

RRGibson Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 6:45pm
post #17 of 64
Quote:

Oooooh, I know what you're talking about. I don't have a food processor. Or the thing that you have. I guess I'm out of luck! I guess I could use the blender? I hate lugging that thing out! icon_lol.gif

Yeah, now that you mention it, a blender would work just as well. Especially if you plan on straining it anyway.

flavacakes Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 7:50pm
post #18 of 64

I've got a question, wouldn't it be too runny after adding the liquid flavors?

RRGibson Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 8:07pm
post #19 of 64
Quote:

I've got a question, wouldn't it be too runny after adding the liquid flavors?

I am by no means a pro at this yet. But, I can say that I haven't had any problems with it to date. If you're scared about it, add just a little at a time. If it looks like it's getting soupy just keep beating it and it will come back together. Same as if it gets soupy when you're adding butter.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 8:23pm
post #20 of 64

Yeah.. it's suprising how much liquid the BC can take.. LOL. I do it by eye.. I find that a recipe the size of shirley's IMBC can take at least 1/2 cup of extra liquid with no problem.. probably more. So I put it in.. taste it.. put some more in.. taste it.. put some more in.. taste it.. taste it.. taste it.. taste it.. make another batch for the cake.. icon_wink.gif

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 8:41pm
post #21 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

The taste and texture are very close to being the same. Two different methods of making the icing, I think IMBC is very fast and easy to make, others feel SMBC is easier. I think you have to experiment and find the one that works best for you.

What is IMBC i know the other one, but not this oneThanks

flavacakes Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 9:57pm
post #22 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

What is IMBC i know the other one, but not this oneThanks

It's Italian Meringue Buttercream.

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 10:26pm
post #23 of 64

I used SMBC from elissa astrauss's recipe this weekend.. I made some moch, some chocolate OMG it was delish!!!!

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 11:11pm
post #24 of 64

How would I make Shirley's recipe into chocolate or mocha?

Thanks,
Kathi

flavacakes Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 11:12pm
post #25 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilthorner

I used SMBC from elissa astrauss's recipe this weekend.. I made some moch, some chocolate OMG it was delish!!!!

That's the exact recipe I'm trying next week!!!!! I was hoping someone had tried it! So you liked it? Did you try it plain at all? I'm so glad you posted this!!!

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 11:27pm
post #26 of 64

i liked it alot.. I tried it plain on my spoon LOL oh yea, I alsomade a sample cake for a coworkers wedding and I used it regular.. I was trying to think I made it 3 times this week.. Yes I did make 3 batches.. I didn't take a pic of my coworkers test cake but it smoothed nicely

flavacakes Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 12:31am
post #27 of 64

Thanks! I'm super excited now!!

RRGibson Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:13am
post #28 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilthorner

What's her recipe? I use Martha Stewart's. I wonder is it much different.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:26am
post #29 of 64

in the whimsical bakehouse they give portions something like this

coffee, 2 tb strong coffee to 2 cups icing
lemon , raspberry etc, 1/4 cup curd or puree per 2 cups

my brain just went blank, sorry i cant remember more.

i really like the addition of liquers. amaretto, chambord, kaluah (sp?) are great. the grand manier (sorry i know i butchered that spelling) is an orange liquer, that sounds awesome! that'll be the next one i try.

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:46am
post #30 of 64

i'm dying to try one or both of these! why can't i find the recipes on here? can someone help me out? i've got a wedding cake to do in a week and a half and it's only my 3rd one. i bet this would be a hit icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%