Gift Box/stacked Present Cake For Baby Shower

Decorating By fytar Updated 7 Jul 2005 , 1:08pm by peacockplace

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 14

I have seen many, many neat photos of wrapped present cakes with bows on them, but what I haven't really seen in the galleries are ones made for baby showers. There are a few that fall along this line, but I'm looking for stripes and polka dots on stacked presents with a big bow on the top. At this point, we don't know what sex the baby is and I wanted to come up with something that could be for either sex. This cake will be the centerpiece for the table, so I don't want it to be too plain looking. I really like the pale mint green, yellow and lavendar colors, but I'm a visual person and have to have something similar to draw an idea from. Anybody got any advice or pictures? I would greatly appreciate it.

13 replies
thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 14

You could make the bow using pastel colors and use circle cutters to cut out various sizes of circles in the same colors for the cake. That would work for a girl or a boy.

Debbie

PinkPanther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkPanther Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 14

Here is an idea from Wilton's website. It is blue and pink so you're covered either way.

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/babyshower/surprise.cfm

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 14

Here is one I did for a baby girl. You could change the colors or even do one package pink/white and one with blue/white. Hope that helps!
traci
LL

sheilaattaway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilaattaway Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 14

Here are some pictures that I have collected from other cake decorators. I hope they help
LL
LL

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 14

Those are adorable! Im dying to try one!!!

fytar Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 4:03pm
post #7 of 14

sheilaattaway,

The first picture is awesome!! the second one looks way outta my league! Thanks so much.

Tarina

fytar Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 4:05pm
post #8 of 14

Does anyone know how to make the box tops? It makes the present look so real. I don't think I could ever do this!!

blueskies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueskies Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 4:12pm
post #9 of 14

Wow, those are great! I especially love the yellow one but it's out of my league too. The lids look like fondant to me, cut to size before being put on the cake....

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 5:46pm
post #10 of 14

the lids are put on the cake... tehn trimmed. I've seen pics of how to do it, but I can't find them again yet. I think you use a little box the right height and use it as a guide all the way around the cake so that you get an even cut. Does that make sense?? I'll try to find the directions!

peacockplace Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 5:47pm
post #11 of 14

Oh...I wanted to add... if you cut the shape out first then try to put it on the cake the fondant will stretch out and loose it's shape.

fytar Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 6:10pm
post #12 of 14

Yeah, I think I'm gonna need pictures for that one!! I figured it would probably stretch as well. Do you think maybe it is like draping it over the top and then folding the sides back under themselves? I guess you would have to make a cut at the corners to be able to fold those back underneath, but then you would risk stretching that out won't you? I just can't picture this in my mind!

sheilaattaway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilaattaway Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 4:27am
post #13 of 14

I have done a cake box before and its not as hard as it looks. Cut the cake top at a slant, then cut out a space put some fondant pieces that look like ribbon or fabrickin the space. Its like cutting a Pac man mouth. Rap fondant around the top of the cake to make it look like a separate piece. I have also cheated and used styrophone (i cant spell that) and covered it in fondant, no one ever getts to the top anyways. i hope this helps

peacockplace Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 1:08pm
post #14 of 14

I still can't find the pics, so i'll try to explain better. In the picuture they used a box, but you can use blocks, stack of books, ect. Whatever is the height you want to trim you top at. Lay fondant over the top and let it drape down the sides. Then place the box right next to the cake. Use that as a guide to cut. Make the cut, then slide the box down a little and cut again. Do this all the way around the cake and you will have a lid that is the same all the way around.

Ok... excuse my pitiful computer drawing skills, but here's an illustration. I know you wouldn't put the bow on until after you have trimmed the fondant, but it looked prettier in the picture.
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%