What's Up With The New Crisco?

Decorating By 06coopers Updated 23 Jul 2007 , 12:42pm by 1234me

06coopers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
06coopers Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 1:26am
post #1 of 12

I'm pretty new to decorating cakes so bare with me please. I use the Wilton icing recipe that is in all of the course booklets. I use Crisco for my shortening and I use the Americolor Gel Pastes to tint my icing. I've noticed that since Crisco has changed to No Trans Fat that my colors aren't smooth like they used to be, it's almost like they don't mix evenly. There is still white "specks" in the color. Someone had asked me if I use any salt in the recipe because if I do it could be that the salt isn't getting dissolved all the way but I don't use any salt so we've narrowed it down to the Crisco. Does anyone have any tips on what I should do or maybe a better recipe that doesn't require me to use Crisco? Help!

11 replies
AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 1:31am
post #2 of 12

I have seen a couple threads here with problems with the 0 transfat crisco. I use the Wal-Mart brand and have never had it go wrong. "Thank You Sam Walton!"

Brickflor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brickflor Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 1:40am
post #3 of 12

I keep trying to post this recipe on the recipes link but it doesn't seem to be working. I use only the new crisco and my icing is fine, works great every time, holds up well in heat and humidity, crusts after 10-15 mins., etc. AND tastes awesome!

1 c. butter
1/2 c. shortening
6 c. pwd sugar
1 1/2 tsp clear vanilla
3-5 tbs half and half
1-2 tbs corn syrup

Cream butter and shortening, then add sugar one cup at a time. Add vanilla, then add half and half a tablespoon at time until it reaches a somewhat stiff consistency. *at this point I take some out, put it in a bowl, and cover it with plastic wrap for when I'm ready to do my flowers* Add corn syrup a tbs at a time until frosting is spreading consistency. This makes 4 1/2 cups.

I started using this recipe back in April and haven't used another since!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=787553

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=687843

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 3:48am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickflor

I keep trying to post this recipe on the recipes link but it doesn't seem to be working.

My guess is you submitted it correctly, however Jackie and Heath have to modify it for the format of the recipe section. Every recipe/tutorial that is submitted to them they must put it into the same format as all of the others and then add it to the site, it all takes time. Sometimes it will be a day or two, and other times it will be 2-3 weeks. They have been working diligently to get the gallery bugs worked out plus they are getting ready to move soon (if not right now) so it will just take some time.

Brickflor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brickflor Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks! I was wondering, I thought maybe I put it in wrong, which is entirely possible icon_biggrin.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 7:27pm
post #6 of 12

I used the new Crisco for the first time today and didnt' notice a problem coloring it, but i wasn't trying to get a deep color. I did notice that after piping for awhile (i was doing hair on a dog) the heat from my hands turned the icing in the bag kind of "gummy"? I've never had that happen before. and the color in the bag deepened, while the remainder in the bowl was noticeably lighter. I use the Wilton all-shortening recipe.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 12

I switched over to the WalMart brand as well & I could really tell a difference. My bc is much smoother, easier to spread, and sticks to the sides of the cake well. I never had a problem with coloring the new Crisco.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 11:29pm
post #8 of 12

Since Crisco changed their formula, I've had to change mine! I was having so much trouble with it bubbling off the sides of the cake as I delivered cakes (I have to drive on horrendous roads in rural Oklahoma). Anyway, I've switched to using 1/2 Crisco and !/2 Wal-Mart GV shortening. My BC frosting is now back!!! I can smooth it so much more easily now and it doesn't fall off of the cake on the way to the wedding!!! Thank Goodness! icon_lol.gif

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 11:54pm
post #9 of 12

I may be the only one, but I haven't had any problems w/ crisco - I double checked the NI label, and it says 0g trans fat.

I use a recipe from the cc recipe section called Reenie's crusting buttercream -as written it says 1lb confectioner sugar...after it didn't crust icon_confused.gif , I contacted the submitter (Reenie) and discovered it should have been 2lb confectioner sugar (simple typo) - after I added the add'l 1lb confectioner sugar...no problem crusting, it's a great frosting recipe
thumbs_up.gif

campbelland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
campbelland Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 12:47pm
post #10 of 12

The only thing I have noticed is that if you do a cake several days in advance, like a wedding cake, the icing now seeps some. I opend the box and on the cake board there was a little pool of melted sticky liguid. Thanks for the tip about the Wal-Mart brand!!! Ill give it a try. Sandy

roslynscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roslynscakes Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 7:58am
post #11 of 12

When I read the articles about the new Crisco, I wondered if that was why the last couple of wedding cakes I have made with butter cream frosting, the frosting has sweat considerably. also, I have had problems with air bubbles in the frosting when I take it our of the freezer to thaw after it's decorated.
I have also experienced problems with the frosting ingredients seperating in the bag when warmed by my hand, only they get lumpy and the consistancy is terrible. It smooths out alright if I rebeat it.
The recipe I use calls for cornstarch, water, p. s. salt and flavoring

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 12:42pm
post #12 of 12

like an above poster, I have not had any problems with the new crisco. I use a little less milk in the recipe (buttercream dream) and it works great. I think about how I have heard horror stories here everytime I use it and still no problems for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%