Dd's Birthday - What On Earth Will I Do!!

Decorating By shelbur10 Updated 22 Jul 2007 , 3:09am by LittleLinda

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 13

All you creative folks out there, I hope you can help me!! My DD is turning 8 in September. She's given me free rein to design her cake (ie. she has no idea what she wants). I'm stumped, so I'm hoping some of the creative minds out there can help me.
She's a girly girl, loves pink and purple and frills. She's into Bratz, High School Musical, music, clothes and makeup. She's a little too old (mentally) for castles or tiaras or anything like that, she thinks she's a teenager. icon_rolleyes.gif
I can do fondant, fondant figures, and BC. Pretty much whatever I want since it's my kid. icon_lol.gif I want to make it fairly big, I don't know yet how many people we're going to have, but I usually make big 'uns for my kids because I want the biggest and best I do to be for them.
Please help! All ideas are welcome and appreciated!! TIA!

12 replies
adawndria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adawndria Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 13

What about a pink and purple three tier cake with each of her favorite things (made of fondant cut outs) on a layer (make up/clothes on one; high school musical/music and a bratz layer with topper)? You could do "sparkly" things on wires coming out of the top to make it more glamourous/frilly for her.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 13

Bratz girl sitting at dressing table littered w/ make-up etc. getting ready to preform in HS Musical -- could have a "mirror" w/ pics and show poster.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 13

Look around her bedroom (not the clothes on the floor) but the decor she has, lamps, figurines, stuffed animals, posters, pillows. You might draw some inspiration there too.

shelbur10 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks for all the ideas! I have one other question, I'm thinking of trying to incorporate a feather boa somehow, do you think it would look okay if I did it in bc with the grass tip?

TMMBBW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TMMBBW Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 2:02am
post #6 of 13

A BC grass tip boa would be cute! I love the other ideas that have been posted, my only addition would be to make it a mad hatter, they are impressive and fun!

LittleLinda Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 2:21am
post #7 of 13

I've seen cakes with real boas used around the bottom of the cake as a bottom border of sorts. They looked awesome ... actually, they weren't boas, they were malibus(?) (those skinny boas with tiny thin feathers).

simplysweetbygigi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweetbygigi Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 6:59am
post #8 of 13

what about a handbag cake. take a look at my photos. i'm talking about the pink handbag, you can also make the handbag look like its open and have lipstick, a cell phone a mirror thinks like that sticking out of the cake or even better do the handbag on its side so it looks like it felll over with all the items coming out of them. sorry don't know how to add the photo to this post

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 7:08am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLinda

I've seen cakes with real boas used around the bottom of the cake as a bottom border of sorts. They looked awesome ... actually, they weren't boas, they were malibus(?) (those skinny boas with tiny thin feathers).

Those skinny boas are called marabous
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feather_boa

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 7:17am
post #10 of 13

In debbi browns book 50 easy party cakes she makes a boa for a cake out of a strip of fondant. It looks great. Basicaly roll a snake and snip it in v's the whole length on all 4 'sides'. (yeah sorry that is the best I can do for a description.... but its a book worth buying...lots of good stuff!)

shelbur10 Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 8:58pm
post #11 of 13

You guys are awesome. I'm thinking about doing a tiered cake with a marabou (thanks sugarfrosted, I didn't know what they were called!) wrapped around it with maybe some fondant make up and jewelry on it. I think I'm going to try to stay away from the characters and dolls and just do a girly cake. I love Doug's dressing table idea, though, maybe I'll do something similar to that...
Ideas still definitely accepted, I knew CCers would come through!! thumbs_up.gif

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 3:09am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

Those skinny boas are called marabous

That's right! I was close! Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%