How Do I Decorate A Tres Leches Cake

Decorating By jimwolverinex Updated 17 Sep 2011 , 8:08pm by sweettreat101

jimwolverinex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimwolverinex Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:42am
post #1 of 9

I have a tres Leches recipe already at hand but I would like to know for those who make Tres Leches Cake to help me or give me advice on how to put a 2 layer Tres Leches cake together. what are the steps without me messing it up this weekend? I will probably use a 9" round cake pan to make the 2 layers but from there I am lost, on how to put it together. Please Help....

8 replies
neni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neni Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:49am
post #2 of 9

This is how I make mine.
1. make a dam of icing ( I use frostin' pride whipped icing) on the bottom layer. Pour the milk over that let it soak in. Fill with whatever you are using. ( I use the same icing and some fruit)

2. Place the next layer on top. Put a dam around this one also. Soak with milk.

3. Once the milk is soaked into the top layer. Ice just like a normal cake.

4. I usually just decorate with fruit and a shell border.

Hopefully this wasn't to confusing for you.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 6:07am
post #3 of 9

the cake in my photos with the strawberries on top is a tres leches cake. i soak the cakes first then i fill the cake with vanilla cream. iced with frostin pride and added a border then added strawberries with glaze to the top

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 6:23am
post #4 of 9

Neni, I had problems soaking my cakes, but your method sounds so easy. icon_smile.gif

Here's a thread on tres leche cakes with info on crema de chantilly, tips and hints:
(With photos.)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-349833-.html

HTH

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 6:36am
post #5 of 9

Janh thank you great link. answered a question that i had.

neni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neni Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 6:50am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Neni, I had problems soaking my cakes, but your method sounds so easy. icon_smile.gif

Here's a thread on tres leche cakes with info on crema de chantilly, tips and hints:
(With photos.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-349833-.html

HTH

That's how my Mom's friend makes it. And I also went into the spanish forum and looked up everything about a Tres Leches cake. I think someone in there mentioned the making a dam around the cake too.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 3:40am
post #7 of 9

wait a dam around the cake itself, or just the layers? Where can I get this pastry pride stuff? I'm trying to use the "Perfect whipped cream" from the cake bible - is that not good to use? And then I frosted my cake with the dulce de leche and put whipped cream on top of that. I'm going to try to decorate it to look like a beach...

How much liquid are you putting on each layer? and is your liquid really liquid-ey or is it firmer? Like are you all using some kind of cream/pudding type stuff or the three milks mixed together - which is very soupy and liquid-ey?

WendyBoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyBoop Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 1:53am
post #8 of 9

This is a real good question! i am making one for the first time and i was wondering how the hell i would stack it, lol Im still confused on the shell border but im asuming the milk isnt watery all over the place once the cake has sat in the frig for a few hours......im i wrong? Wish me luck =) P.S. thx everyone, u have been a big help!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 8:08pm
post #9 of 9

I place my layers on cardboard cake circles covered with wax paper leveled side facing up. I poke holes using a skewer. I take a 1/3 measuring cup and add one scoop of milks at a time and let it soak in. I repeat this process until each layer has enough of the milks. If gently lift the layer up and see the milks starting to pudding on the wax paper then you have enough. I always make sure that I don't soak to close the the edge of the cakes to keep the milks from seeping out the sides. I either partially freeze the layers or flip one facing down on a separate cake circle to slide in place over the filling. I find partially freezing the top layer makes it easier to handle. White tres leches is a pretty dense cake almost like a cornbread texture so it is a sturdier cake to work with. I also don't soak my cake so much that they are mushy. I have made two three tiered tres leches cake and many others and have never had any problems. I always add my dam before I add my mousse fillings. I have used Frosting Pride and butter cream for my tres leches cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%