Made Cake Balls For The First Time...love Them!!

Decorating By madicakes Updated 25 Sep 2006 , 12:56am by CakeRN

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 34

I didn't think I would like them. Sort of brought to mind already chewed cake. But, I was wrong....wrong, wrong, wrong. I made them tonight using a WASC that I messed up, cocoa powder, confectioner's sugar, chocolate chips and hazlenut coffee creamer. OMG they are good! I haven't even dipped them in chocolate yet and they are soooo yummy!! I know what I'm gonna be making for christmas gifts this year!

I'm trying to figure out some other flavors to make with the rest of this cake. What flavor combos do you guys do your cake balls in?

33 replies
bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 12:30am
post #2 of 34

Is it okay if the cake pieces have BC on them? Some of mine were carved after I filled them, so they have the BC mixed in. Will they still be okay to make cake balls with?

cakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerator Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 12:54am
post #3 of 34
Quote:
Quote:

I'm trying to figure out some other flavors to make with the rest of this cake. What flavor combos do you guys do your cake balls in?

I just made them for the first time yesterday! Aren't they delish?! I am going to make them for Christmas gifts too.
For flavors, I did chocolate coconut and chocolate raspberry (with Chambourd). The raspberry ones were okay but the chocolate coconut were UNbelieveable!!! I highly suggest trying them. I used the Coconut Creme coffee creamer as the binder, put shredded coconut in them and covered them in chocolate. To die for!
I want to try cherry chocolate chip with cherry cake and mini chocolate chips. Mmmmmm.... they are so dangerous to have around the house though. I'm going to be the size of a house if I keep making them. LOL

LisaBa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaBa Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 1:07am
post #4 of 34

OK- Ya'll get a kick out of this..... I was reading about cake balls to DH and I had a cake to do today, so he says did you make us cake balls? I said you've never even HAD cakeballs, and he said I know but I want some. LOL!!!!!!!

So, I want to do them and was wondering do you use a certain recipe with the coffee creamer? The origianl post was using cocoa as well, what kind of cake did you use? Give me some direction as I want to make some tomorrow!! thanks you guys!!!!!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 1:14am
post #5 of 34

icon_evil.gif MMMAAAHAHAHAHA icon_evil.gif You are now under the spell of the cakeball! There is no going back now! The only thing that expands faster than the list of "oh I gotta try that combo" will be your waist!

xandra83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xandra83 Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 1:17am
post #6 of 34

I tried to make them a while ago and i didn't do something right. Please explain how to do them. i did them in my KA, should that matter? What are they supposed to feel like? Mine were mushy. Please help!

NEWTODECORATING Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 1:17am
post #7 of 34

bkdcakes- yes it is fine if your scraps have BC on them. Some of us use BC as the binder instead of coffee creamer or alchol.

shellypf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellypf Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 1:18am
post #8 of 34

Can someone please post the recipe for these elusive Cake Balls? I keep seeing things posted here and there about them but can't find the recipe....Thanks so much! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

NEWTODECORATING Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 1:22am
post #9 of 34

If you do a search for cakeball or cookieman-the evil man who has added to my weight problem with this recipe- you will find ALOT of different variations of a "cakeball" I believe it is also listed in the recipe section.

I mix my cake scraps, some p.sugar, cocoa if I want, by hand and then slowly add french vanilla coffee creamer until it will hold the shape of a ball. I quit measuring for these a while ago, because depending on the moisture of your cake it will take more or less

cakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerator Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 1:23am
post #10 of 34

Mmmmmm.... Buttercream as a binder..... mmmmmmmmm......icon_smile.gif

You can find the basic recipe in the Recipe section of CC. Just type in 'cake balls' under All Categories and it should come up.

I think everyone just uses their imagination when it comes to yummy combos. Throw in what you know tastes good together and you can't go wrong.
HTH

NEWTODECORATING Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 1:26am
post #11 of 34

Yes once you make your first batch, you see the possibilities! Lots of variations, and combos

jeanair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeanair Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 2:01am
post #12 of 34

i wen to cc recipes and typed in cakeballs but it came up with nothing.
Please tell me what I did wrong> thanks

NEWTODECORATING Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 2:26am
post #13 of 34

jeanair -=don't say you weren't warned icon_lol.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is Cookieman's recipe...

2 cups crumbled cake scraps
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder (if cake scraps are not chocolate based)
1/4 cup chopped almonnds (or any other nut you like, or mini-chocolate chips, or M&Ms, you get the idea!)
2 generous shots of amaretto (or any other liquer you may like, a good non-alcohol substitution is any flavored coffee creamer)

Put all ingredients in a mixer and mix on medium speed until the ingedients form a ball. If the mixture seems too dry, add a bit more of the liquid used to make it moist enough to form into balls.

I use a tablespoon cookie scoop to make the balls uniform in size. Roll the scooped dough in your hands to form a nice smooth ball. Allow cake balls to set on a parchment lined cookie sheet for a couple of hours, then dip them in chocolate(following) or roll them in confectioners' sugar or cocoa.

Melt 1 lb. of candy melts and add approximately a tablespoons of crisco to make it a bit more smooth. Also, put the container (in my case, a pyrex measuring cup) of melted candy melts in a very hot (I use amost boiling) water bath to keep the chocolate fluid. dip balls into the chocolate using a spoon and a dipping fork (in my case, a plastic fork with the two middle tines cut out) Don't worry if the dipped balls have a "foot" at the base after drying. You can break some off after they have hardened and once they are in the little cake liners, no one will notice. Also, you can decorate the tops with just about anything, sprinkles, candy confetti, chopped nuts, etc. before they dry. Or after they've dried, pipe designs with royal icing or melted candy melts of differnet colors!

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 19 Sep 2006 , 7:37pm
post #14 of 34

thumbs_up.gif Looks like I have a project for this weekend! I can't wait to try them...they sound like they will make wonderful gifts! Thanks for the recipe!

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 2:13am
post #15 of 34

Please help. I tried to make cake balls today and they came out horrible. They were so mushy I could barely pick them up off the cookie sheet. I even tried to put them in the fridge but it didn't help. They seemed so easy to make, how did I mess them up? Mine didn't even have much flavor and I pretty much followed the posted recipe. URG

NEWTODECORATING Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 2:15am
post #16 of 34

use less liquid. I mix by hand just until it comes together and forms a ball. I start with all my other ingredients first and slowly add liquid till I get the stage I want.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 9:56am
post #17 of 34

got frozen cake that needs to be cake balls. Might just make them to fill the red wagon cake I am making for my grandsons first birthday on sunday

Susan94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susan94 Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 5:12pm
post #18 of 34

My dad owned a bakery and he made rum balls with his leftover cake scraps. They are awesome. As the rum sits the flavor is stronger. So remember to not use too much rum if you don't want it strong! I have the recipe somwhere!

mamakau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamakau Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 8:57pm
post #19 of 34

Anyone know how many cake balls can be made from a 9x13 pan sized recipe? I'm thinking of using the larger end of a melon baller to form the balls.

These are the flavor combos I was thinking of doing...
red velvet cake, french vanilla creamer, white chocolate bits, and dipped in white chocolate, with a red candy melt drizzle on top

chocolate cake, caramel filling, mini choc. chips, and dipped in dark chocolate with a caramel drizzle on top

I haven't ever made these before, I hope I'm not being too ambitious, wish me luck!

SueW Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 10:17pm
post #20 of 34

wow those sound amazing!!! Good luck, my 1st batch was a disaster! I am sure you will have more luck. I wish I could tell you how many it would make but I am not sure.

ElixirIce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElixirIce Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 6:11am
post #21 of 34

Hey guys! I was wondering what to make today for a pot luck my mom was going to tonight and I came across this post about cake balls! I've never made them before and I didn't know what to expect but they came out absolutely wonderful!!! I can't believe how easy it was and how good they look! Thanks so much for the inspiration!!!

-Lisa Marie

mamakau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamakau Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 7:07pm
post #22 of 34

Wow, Elixir, yours came out so beautiful! What recipes did you use? Or did you create your own?

chrysb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrysb Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 9:23pm
post #23 of 34

sundine2 that sounds cute. Post a picture when done, so we can see how it turns out. Please. Chrysb

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 1:54am
post #24 of 34

I made these tonight with ingredients that I had on hand. Chocolate cake, chocolate frosting, white chocolate chips, and kahlua. Then dipped in dark chocolate melts and drizzled with white chocolate. Oh my dog. Nothing will ever be the same again.

'Cake Balls' sounds kind of undignified, though. I'm thinking of 'Chocolate Kahlua Cake Truffles'.
LL

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:41am
post #25 of 34

wow...those look like truffles....

I will post a pic if it turns out. I hope so.

Thought I would try to do the cake balls with orange choc coating for the color and try to make them look like small pumpkins....

lcottington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcottington Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:52am
post #26 of 34

Just made a batch recently - I am perfecting these to sell to caterers...this batch was white chocolate cake scraps, chocolate cake scraps bound with some all butter BC -- dipped in milk chocolate and drizzled with white chocolate....

I will sell to caterers for .75 - 1.00 as "cake truffles" and offer all flavors of cake that I normally do....with liquers in the batches for the caterers if desired -- my family doesn't drink so I didn't use them in this batch...

easy to do, fun, and cheap!

Lisanne
LL

ShabbyChic_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 4:17am
post #27 of 34

I just made mine this weekend, first I wasn't sure what cake balls were, then when I came across the recipe it was like a flashback, I remember when I was a teenager I used to make them with my cake scraps. This is the way I used to make them and how I make them this past weekend:

8 cups yellow cake scraps
1 1/2 cans of Nestle Dulce de Leche (you can get it at Alberston's and Food4 less at the latin food aisle)
splash of amaretto liquor
4 tbs powder sugar

let me tell you, these are just estimates, it all depends on how moist is your cake, so you'll have to find the right texture, I add the amaretto at the end in case that the mix has the texture i need, rolled them and then push in the middle with my thumb or index finger, and with a pastry bag with dulce de leche I add a little in the middle and re roll again, I dip mine in white chocolate or roll them in powder sugar.
They are heavenly!!
LL

SueW Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:00pm
post #28 of 34

Would someone mind giving an estimate of how much cake they use in these as well as any other liquid you put in. I tried them once and they did not come out well at all. I see great ingredients listed that others are trying but now idea how much to use. Thanks to all!

lcottington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcottington Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:09pm
post #29 of 34

SueW - giving amounts is hard - it is a feel thing for me. I usually fill my bowl with cake scraps and crumble with my hands (some people use the food processor or the KA). I use BC as my binding agent -- I usually don't need a lot of BC because my cakes are usually pretty moist -- I add BC a little at a time and work it into the cake crumbs until the cake crumbs come together as a ball - like cookie dough -- but not wet.

Once there, I make balls and freeze - then dip...

Good luck...

Lisanne

gourmetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetcakes Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:33pm
post #30 of 34

I just made my first batch of cake balls last night. I went by the original recipe.....ended up to gooey and mushy (will definitely add liquid as I go, not all at one time...doesn't need much). They tasted wonderful though. I used my chocolate fudge cake, powdered sugar, Hershey's Chocolate Chips and Vanilla/Caramel Creamer. I rolled some in powdered sugar (bad idea, condensation from them coming to room temperature made them more into a glaze than a powder), dipped some in Hershey's cocoa (same thing happened to most of those too), then, the best were the ones that I dipped in Dark Chocolate candy melts....that is the way I will make them from now on.

Question about leaving them at room temperature. Since they have creamer in them, do they need to stay refrigerated or can they stay at room temp after making them?

Oh, another variation I can't wait to make is using Hershey's Chocolate Raspberry chips...YUM!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%