Mmf Newbie Questions!

Baking By shantel575 Updated 31 Jul 2007 , 5:05am by shantel575

shantel575 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shantel575 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 4:14am
post #1 of 16

Okay so I'm enthralled by this MMF recipe I discovered on CC! I am loving this site. Anyway... I never use fondant because all I've known up until this week was Wilton's fondant (Blech! tapedshut.gif ) but after reading about this MMF I am wondering a few things:

does MMF TASTE good? In comparison to wilton's icky fondant? Or is it the same?

when making MMF I see the recipe calls for kneading.... can it be made in a kitchenaid mixer with the kneading hook (like used for bread dough)? Or does it HAVE to be done by hand?

Thank you for ANY information! I am trying to learn all I can about this MMF before I start trying to make/use it!

15 replies
rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 4:19am
post #2 of 16

MMF tastes a whole lot better than Wilton!!! It's very easy to flavor. I used some rasberry LorAnn oil in a batch I made for a kid's cake and they loved it. You can start out making it in your KA but will end up kneading it by hand. It's pretty still and I wouldn't want to take a chance of hurting my KA!! By the way, Welcome to CC!

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 4:20am
post #3 of 16

MMF tastes WAY better than Wilton! It can be fairly sweet, at least the recipe I use. I only use mmf because all I can get around here is mmf and it is cheap to make. It might take some practice to get it to work for you, I find I never use as much icing sugar as the recipe calls for.

I do mine all by hand, but I have heard of some using their dough hook on their KA. I am too worried about blowing my KA up, so I don't mind doing it by hand (although it can be very sticky!)

I would say give it a try, I love it! thumbs_up.gif

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 4:28am
post #4 of 16

Shantel, you may want to take a look at this topic. It's another alternative to rolled fondant.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=407263&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

shantel575 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 4:54am
post #5 of 16

you all are so helpful! What did I ever do before I found this site? icon_smile.gif I may try both MMF and this other recipe also so I can compare the 2 in taste and time it takes to make it.

Maybe I won't attempt it in my KA mixer.... I never thought about the fact that it might run the motor out! Yikes! icon_eek.gif Glad I asked.

Thank you all for the warm welcome and helpful answers!

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:06am
post #6 of 16

I love mmf, and I always use my KA at this point. The trick is to keep it on speed 2 (for the ARtisan series) because that's the bread dough kneading speed. NEVER take it off that speed, and you won't have a problem. I know this because I blew out the motor on my first KA because I was switching speeds. I didn't know any better. I called the company, and they explained that for this kind of work, you need to use the bread dough hook only and speed 2 only! They replaced my KA (can't believe that one, but they did!) and I have never had a problem since. Pm me if you want some help doing it with a KA.

Good luck and welcome to the world of mmf!

S.

Carson Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 3:20pm
post #7 of 16

Sonoma9, what KA do you use? I just have the Classic and am thinking about trying mmf in it. I have been too afraid up until now to try it, that KA is my baby! LOL! I should use it though, I paid enough for it!

shantel575 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:31pm
post #8 of 16

Thanks Sonoma9! Maybe I'll be brave and try it with the KA on speed 2. I have an Artisan also and like Carson said... I paid enough for it I should USE it! icon_smile.gif Thanks again everyone!

mocakiss86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakiss86 Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 4:22am
post #9 of 16

I want to try now too! Where can I get this recipe? All the advise sounds great, I'm new to the sight too, it's fabulous. I always talk clients out of totally covering a cake because I can only get the Wilton, too. I hope someone can direct me to the recipe. Thanks

Carson Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 5:53am
post #10 of 16

Here is my "recipe". I don't have any real measurements for you guys, sorry about that, but I just make it until it feels right...

I use 1 bag of small Jet-Puffed marshmallows, put in bowl with a couple tablespoons of water. I microwave the marshmallows for approx 15 secs at a time and stir after each 15 secs. When the marshmallows are soupy, I put a couple cups of sifted icing sugar in the bowl. I grease the counter and my hands and pour the mixture on the counter. I knead the fondant adding more icing sugar until I get a firm smooth elastic ball.

Sometimes I mix color in the melted marshmallows, its a lot faster than kneading the fondant with color after! It is also best if it can be left sitting for a day before use.

I am sure there is a recipe on here with some measurements, and there are a lot of different recipes, but this works well for me.

Hopefully this makes sense and you can follow.

Purseonality Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Purseonality Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 6:10am
post #11 of 16

I have not tried the marshmellow recipe - I have printed it out. I bought some white chocolate fondant from Caljavaonline.com. Yummy Stuff. You can buy 2lbs for 13.75 or 10 lbs for 53.00. It stores well and is perfect out of the pail- you only have to scoop some out and start rolling. Makes using fondant a postive experience, and no fail.

mhooper12000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhooper12000 Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 6:28am
post #12 of 16

I am going to attempt some fondant pepperonis for a pepperoni pizza themed cake. I will definitely give this recipe a try and let everyone know how it turned out. This will be my first time trying to work with fondant of any kind. Hope it turns out good, hehe. icon_biggrin.gif

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 6:37am
post #13 of 16

I use the KA for making MMF here all the time. I melt my bag of MM's and pour half my sugar into the KA, (I usually add more water than is called for because I like my fondant a little softer and I also live in a somewhat dry climate, plus you can always ADD sugar but can't take it away). I also add my flavorings of choice into the marshmallows and the color if I want the whole batch a certain color. Then after the MM's are melty I pour them into the sugar in the mixer. Mix it with the paddle til it's nice n smooth then change to the hook and add the rest of the sugar, turn it on 2nd speed and let it go for bout 10 min.
I've tried the variations with crisco added or other funkified stuff and it just doesn't turn out the way I want it too.

shantel575 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 3:18am
post #14 of 16

OK so I made my very first batch of MMF last night and wow, it was easy and I'm so impressed! I mostly only use fondant for accents and decorations so this humongous batch will last me a LONG time! It does taste better than Wilton fondant for sure so maybe I'll get brave and try to cover a cake with it. Even though it tastes better than wilton's... it's still not yummy like buttercream. I think next time I'll add more flavoring to it though and see how that works out. Adding color by hand is quite tedious! I didn't want to color the whole batch because I only needed a little of it colored for accent on one small cake.

Oh and the Melvira smoothing method is working out very nicely for me too.

I don't know what I'd do without this site now.... these 2 things alone were well worth my time in reading the forums!

Shantel icon_smile.gif

Carson Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 4:44am
post #15 of 16

I'm glad your first experience was a good one! My first time went very good as well - however - my second was not so good! It just crumbled on me. I melted and added some more marshmallows and saved it. The moral of this little story is it may take a couple times to figure out how much ps to add each time (the humidity varies here so much that its always changing), but I can do it by feel now!

I love CC too - totally addicted. Without it I would never of come so far in my cake decorating!

shantel575 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 5:05am
post #16 of 16

thanks Carson! Yeah I was happy with my first attempt and result... I did end up using an entire 2 lb bag of ps! I didn't expect to after all the reading I did on it but it was just sticky so I kept adding a little at a time and before I knew it, the bag was empty. Then it was perfect! I tell ya what... I don't think I'd make this stuff without a KA mixer. YIkes. It was tedious enough WITH the mixer... I would not want to do it by hand! No thank you! lol

And I'm with you on the CC being such a helpful tool...... I'm not creative by nature so being able to come on here and view thousands of gorgeous decorating ideas has been a life saver for me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%