Looking For A Good Recipe

Decorating By Mom_Of_4 Updated 14 Sep 2006 , 1:37pm by jeking

Mom_Of_4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_Of_4 Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 5

I am looking for a good white cake recipe from scratch! I have seen a lot with mixes, but prefer to make my cakes from scratch. TIA

4 replies
mldough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mldough Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 5

I love this recipe, it is from Rose Levy Berenbaum author of The Cake Bible:

4 oz egg whites
1 cup milk
2 1/4 tsp vanilla
3 cups sifted cake flour
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp + 1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
6 oz unsalted butter softened

Lightly combine egg whites, 1/4 cup milk and vanilla.
In a large mixing bowl combine dry ingredients and mix on low speed for 30 seconds to blend. Add the butter and remaining 3/4 cup milk. Mix on low speed unitil the dry ingredients are moistened. Increase to medium speed and beat for 1.5 minutes to aerate and develop cakes structure. Scrape down sides. Gradually add the egg mixture in 3 batches, beating for 20 seconds after each addition. Pour into 2 9 in prepared pans and bake at 350 for 25-35 minutes.

I use on most of my wedding cakes, it is easy to make and tastes great every time. You can also add any flavor you want to it, I like a litte fresh lemon zest and good quality lemon extract or oil.

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 5

I just made this cake 2 nights ago and it is fabulous!

1 1/2 cups butter (I guess you could use Crisco if you want it really white, but I personally prefer butter)
3 cups sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
6 cups cake flour
2 cups milk (I used half and half)
1 Tablespoon vanilla (clear if you want it really white)..or any flavor of choice
12 egg whites

Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, then set aside. Cream butter and sugar until light. Alternate adding sifted dry ingredients and milk, finishing with the vanilla extract. The batter will be fairly thick. Fold in the beaten egg whites. YOu'll need a large bowl as this recipe makes quite a bit of batter. Bake at 325 until toothpick comes out clean.

I torted the 8 inch cake and used raspberry jam on first torte, lemon-raspberry buttercream next layer, raspberry jam on second torte and finished the cake with the raspberry-lemon buttercream. It was pretty incredible! I always take some of my cakes to work for my co-workers to critique. No one had one negative thing to say...I insist that they MUST be forthright with me. Several said this was their favorite of the 10 or so that I've brought in.

Mom_Of_4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_Of_4 Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 5

mmm, raspberry lemon buttercream sounds wonderful! How did you make that?
jeking: Did the recipe just make two 8 in rounds?

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 5

It was delicious...your favorite buttercream recipe plus 2 caps of lemon extract and 2 caps of raspberry extract. The recipe I made iced the 2 8 inch rounds and the 3"X6" round..plus a little extra for some buttercream roses!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%