Ccer's I Need Your Help!!!

Decorating By Lazy_Susan Updated 14 Sep 2006 , 4:05am by playingwithsugar

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 7:37am
post #1 of 22

Hi everyone,
My first wedding cake is approaching and I need your help. I have posted a pic of the design I had in mind for the cake. The bride really hasn't been much help. The wedding is Saturday Sept. 23rd and I can't even get the bride to come over and look at my idea for her cake. All I know is that she wants the Calla Illusion cake with purple Calla Lilies in the flavor of chocolate and covered in fondant. So this is what I came up with as far as having some sort of design on the cake. The colors on the actual cake will be different. I didn't want to use up all my luster dust on this practice cake so I used different colors.
I have a stencil that I am using for the design. However, I was wondering if it would look better if I stencilled royal icing instead of luster dust. What do you think? Also, I was wondering what would look better. Big fondant balls as the border like I have pictured or small ones? Or perhaps a different border all together.
You'll really have to use your imagination to envision what I am talking about. Sorry...
Please, please, please help me.

TIA,
Lazy_Susan
LL

21 replies
meghan89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghan89 Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 7:49am
post #2 of 22

I like the design that you have so far, but you might want to use royal because you know that it will adhere to the cake and stay. If you just use the luster dust it could easily smear or fade. As far as using the ball border, I think if they are bigger in size it will look more whimsical, but if you make them smaller, it will look more delicate, probably better for a wedding. Hope that helps! Good Luck!

Lazy_Susan Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 7:53am
post #3 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by meghan89

I like the design that you have so far, but you might want to use royal because you know that it will adhere to the cake and stay. If you just use the luster dust it could easily smear or fade. As far as using the ball border, I think if they are bigger in size it will look more whimsical, but if you make them smaller, it will look more delicate, probably better for a wedding. Hope that helps! Good Luck!

Thanks so much. I was thinking the same thing. Especially about using royal instead of luster dust because on this practice cake I had a lot of smearing. I have never used royal icing to stencil with before. Is there a specific technique to doing it that I should know about?

Anyone and everyone please feel free to answer.
Thanks

meghan89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghan89 Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 8:00am
post #4 of 22

Not really, just have a very steady hand!

Lazy_Susan Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 8:20am
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by meghan89

Not really, just have a very steady hand!

Very steady hand??? icon_eek.gif Can't I just place my stencil on the cake and paint the royal icing on? I'm getting nervous and I don't want to be!!!!! icon_surprised.gif
*big deep breath* OK I'm good now.

funkychica1_2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funkychica1_2004 Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 8:36am
post #6 of 22

I love your design! Something metallic and pink would help accent it a lot! Like some pink sparkles or dragees (if they make them...) good luck with the bride!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 11:40am
post #7 of 22

I used the same stencil last week using royal icing for the first time. I was rushing a little and I had some problems with the royal getting underneath the stencil. But with some practice I am sure stenciling with royal would be great.

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 11:47am
post #8 of 22

Beautiful! If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the setencil? I would love to try. icon_biggrin.gif Notice, I said try!

Lazy_Susan Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 11:53am
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by culinarycreations

Beautiful! If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the setencil? I would love to try. icon_biggrin.gif Notice, I said try!

I got the stencil at JoAnn's. It's not with cake decorating stuff but with woodworking stuff I think.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 12:04pm
post #10 of 22

Hey! I would probably use a smaller border b/c like someone else has said it will look more delicate for a wedding cake. I'm thinking the royal would work better with the stencil but do you have time to practice? The last thing you want is to be practicing on the actual wedding cake! If you don't-go with what you know works and use the dust.

Also, about this bride. I would have her initial your design to confirm that she approves it. We have all read too many bridezilla stories on here not to have that confirmation that this is the design she wants!

Good luck!

icon_smile.gif d

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 12:12pm
post #11 of 22

I agree completely with the other ladies on the smaller balls around the cake--they don't "drag down" the stenciling, they'll just "accent" it and look more proportionate to the design.

As for the stenciling, if you've done it there in the photo with the luster dust, it looks good. I'm thinking that color in royal would look GREAT! icon_smile.gif

Get the bride's initials on the design paper, definitely. It's cya time on that one.

HTH,
--Knox--

Lazy_Susan Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 1:00pm
post #12 of 22

Does anyone have any tips as to how best to do the stencil in royal? What type of brush should I use and what thickness should the royal be? For the luster dust I used a sponge brush. Do you think that will work for the royal?

Thanks everyone icon_smile.gif

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 1:01pm
post #13 of 22

I would also make a small, even-sized border...you will probably do that a lot faster using royal icing instead of rolling so many tiny balls! (unless you have a pearl mold)....Unless the bride wants bright colors, I would definately do the design in a creamy off-white or taupe against white fondant. It's very wedding-like....and mistakes won't show up as much as if you use a bright color.

icon_smile.gif

Lazy_Susan Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 1:09pm
post #14 of 22

I do have a pearl mold (it makes the small string of pearls). The Calla Lilies on top of the cake are going to be purple. Should I do the pearls in the off-white or should I match them to the calla lilies? And what color should the royal stencil be?

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 1:11pm
post #15 of 22

To do the design, I read somewhere (can't remember but if I find it I'll post) that you put your stencil on the cake and take your cake knife and spread the royal icing over the stencil. Let dry for a few minutes then remove the stencil.

I also agree, use smaller beads for the border.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 1:17pm
post #16 of 22

I think I would do the stenciling in the purple color, but do the pearls in your icing color, dusted with super pearl dust. It would look more elegant IMO.

Lazy_Susan Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 1:26pm
post #17 of 22

You know...the one thing I did find out while making my practice cake is that Fondant is so much easier to work with when you use Crisco on your work area instead of Corn Starch (as recommended on the package) or Powdered Sugar. It was so easy to roll out and it lifted right up without sticking. This is definitely how I am going to work with fondant from now on icon_smile.gif

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 1:41pm
post #18 of 22

I agrree about using crisco with fondant. I tried cornstarch and powdered sugar and each time it stuck to my surface. Now I just use crisco then when I am smoothing I powder with sugar my fondant smoothers and they glide right over it.

Back to the subject....I like the colors the way you have them. I wouldn't change anything except use royal icing and try some smaller beads, you be the judge, really the ones you have on their give it a dramatic effect. But I would hunt the bride down and have her sign off on it.

You will do great!!

pat

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 7:01pm
post #19 of 22

Use a taped spatula, place the stencil on the cake and gently spread the RI onto the design. Gently lift off the cake, wipe off and wait for the design to dry to reuse the stencil again. Getting in a hurry causes smearring.... icon_cry.gif

Lazy_Susan Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 2:21am
post #20 of 22

OK... Tell me what y'all think about this idea. The colors for her wedding are purple and yellowish. The calla lilies on top of the cake are purple. What if for the royal stencil work I use like a pale yellow and the same for the border (small beads). Then when it is all nice a dry I brush it all with pearl dust.

What do ya think?

Lazy_Susan

dolcesunshine20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcesunshine20 Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 2:33am
post #21 of 22

Gorgeous cake!!!! If it were me, I'd do the purple callas, the yellow stencil and then white pearls on the bottom. For me, a yellow border would be too much, I'm not sure you'd like the turn-out. You can definitely paint the super pearl on after you paint the royal icing. I did it on the Ryan's Princess cake in my photos.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 4:05am
post #22 of 22

I sympathize with your dilemma with this cake. Something I would like to mention for your future reference:

I have read from time to time, on this and other forums, where decorators will not allow changes after two weeks before the wedding. Now you are stuck with chocolate cake, at a cost that you are going to have to absorb. Technically, you will be baking two cakes for the price of one, since the rest will be taken into work. This should not be so.

I realize that this is your first wedding cake, and that it is a learning experience, so allow me to suggest that you design a cake contract for future orders, and specify in one of the clauses that there will be no changes after whatever time you specify - make it a time frame that you are comfortable with.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%