My First Fondant Figures!

Decorating By cara75 Updated 13 Sep 2006 , 8:19am by CarolinaBelle

cara75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cara75 Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 36

I'm baking a barnyard cake for my son's 1st birthday next week and got some great ideas from the gallery for what I want it to look like. This is the first time I've ever used fondant to make figures.

I just a barn shape out of 1 3/16" thick styrofoam and will cover it with icing and stick it in the cake with dowels. Then I'll set the animals around it. I think I'm going to use a little rectangle of rice crispy treat for a hay bale for the chickens to sit on and around. Then the cow will be sitting in a bunch of grass (which is why I didn't give him legs). The pigs will be sitting in a patch of chocolate icing to look like mud.

What do y'all think?
LL

35 replies
katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 36

WOW icon_eek.gif these are fantastic! If this is your first time with fondant figures you are going to be a star!

great job!!!! Make sure you post the cake when you are finsihed thumbs_up.gif

Momof3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof3boys Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 36

Those are adorable!! You really did a great job on them! Sounds like a very cute cake! Can't wait to see the pictures!

sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 36

Those are adorable! Great! icon_biggrin.gif

(your sheep does look a little terrified though... icon_lol.gif )

Amber

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 36

These are fabulous!!!

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 36

I absolutely love them! I am doing my first fondant "sculpting" tonight. I hope it looks as good as yours!!

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 36

These are SO cute! I can't wait to see the finished product!

rajinaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rajinaren Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 36

wow ur foundant animals are very pretty....can u tell me where u got instruction or How u did it....Man they are cute.. icon_smile.gif

luv2giggls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2giggls Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 9:23pm
post #9 of 36

I think you did such an awesome job. Your idea sounds great. It is going to be sooooooo cute!!!! Can't wait to see a pic. =)

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 9:23pm
post #10 of 36

very cute your son is going to be happy.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 9:28pm
post #11 of 36

You really did a great job!!! Isn't it fun??

Mom_Of_4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_Of_4 Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 9:32pm
post #12 of 36

I just did my first fondant animals last week for my son's birthday cake this weekend! Yours look great!

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 9:33pm
post #13 of 36

You did a really great job!! I love the sheep & the pigs especially icon_smile.gif Be sure to post pics of the finished cake thumbs_up.gif

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 9:36pm
post #14 of 36

ADORABLE!!!!! Can't wait to see the finished cake!! icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 9:37pm
post #15 of 36

they are so cute!!! I made a barnyard cake years ago but I did not know about MMF then........I just made the barn out of graham crackers glued together with royal icingg.........if you wanted the barn to be edible that would be an easy option. I made bails of hay out of marshmallows that I frosted and rolled in colored coconut and it worked out really well and they were really yummy too....I love your animals

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 9:37pm
post #16 of 36

Those are so cute! I love that sheep. thumbs_up.gif

Deanna

rajinaren Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 9:38pm
post #17 of 36

can anbody tell me how to make it.... icon_cry.gif

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 9:39pm
post #18 of 36

You did a great job. Love the pigs! The way you described your cake sounds like it is really going to be cute. I'm anxious to see it finished. Be sure to post it.

rajinaren Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 9:40pm
post #19 of 36

TooMuchCake i just went through ur website....wow beautiful cakes! icon_smile.gif those butterflies are so cute...how did u make them? thumbs_up.gif

BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 9:45pm
post #20 of 36

Your fondant figures are soooo cute. I can't get mine to look like anything. What's your secret?

MichelleG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleG Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 9:49pm
post #21 of 36

Your figures are wonderful!!!!

I'm hoping to take a clay scuplting class, but I will be using fondant instead. I pray that mine will look as good as yours. icon_wink.gif

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 9:57pm
post #22 of 36

Wonderful, they are so cute. Love the spots on the cow. Post the cake, we'd love to see the finished product.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 10:22pm
post #23 of 36

those are too cute. the cake in general sounds fun.

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 10:31pm
post #24 of 36

What an outstanding job for your first time. I surely hope my first try will be as good as yours.

Looking forward to seeing the finished cake.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 10:37pm
post #25 of 36

Those are really cute!!

yassy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yassy Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 10:45pm
post #26 of 36

Really cute. Dont forget to post a picture of your cake! icon_biggrin.gif

bakedandiced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakedandiced Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 10:50pm
post #27 of 36

Absolutely precious. Excellent job. thumbs_up.gif

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 10:50pm
post #28 of 36

Absolutely adorable!! They are all just so cute - I'd hate to eat them!! Your little vegetables are so cute too!

I was thinking of doing a barnyard cake for our county fair next year, since I missed it this summer - I'll definitely watch for your finished picture, because your animals are adorable!!

Way to go! thumbs_up.gif

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 10:51pm
post #29 of 36

Just wondering where you got such fantastic ideas to make your animals.They are so cute and pretty!

cara75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cara75 Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 10:53pm
post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajinaren

can anbody tell me how to make it.... icon_cry.gif

I just used the white Wilton fondant that comes in the box. I colored it with the Wilton gel coloring.

I've never done anything with Fimo/Polymer clay, but I've seen it done on TV icon_lol.gif Basically I just made each animal in pieces - and most of those pieces started out as a ball. For instance, with the pig, I made a big ball and then kinda rolled it on the table a little (I was using a corian cutting board covered in parchment) so that it was more of a cylinder shape. Then I rolled a ball for the head. To attach the head to the body, I used a toothpick to kinda rough up the surface of the body where the head would attach and did the same thing to the bottom part of the head. Using a paint brush I put just a tiny bit of water into the rough area to make it a little more sticky and then stuck the head on. I did the same thing for the feet...just made 4 round balls and stuck them on the bottom. For the ears I just smooshed some fondant flat and then used a knife to cut out a triangle. I put the triangle kinda on the back of the head and smoothed it into the head, making it wrap around to the sides. For the eyes, I just poked a hole with a toothpick with some black coloring on it. For the snout, I made a little ball and smooshed (that's the technical term!) it flat and stuck it on the face with just a dab of water.

That's basically how they all were done. Just break each animal down into little shapes and stick them all together. For the wool on the sheep, I rolled a bunch of tiny little balls and then smooshed them on to the body.

I got the ideas for what I wanted the cow, pigs and chickens to look like straight from KarenOR's farm cake (http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos-by-KarenOR.html). Hope it's ok that I totally copied! icon_redface.gif The sheep I found online on a clay site.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%