Home Bakers Where Do You Do Cake Tastings?

Business By vivedcreations Updated 14 Sep 2006 , 1:06pm by BakeQueen

vivedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vivedcreations Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 2:26am
post #1 of 12

I am just starting to get into doing wedding cakes and want to do a cake tasting for a prospective bride. I am curious where you guys do your tastings. Do you do them out of your home? Do you go somewhere else? Also, any tips you can provide for a tasting would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

11 replies
MsCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsCakeLady Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 2:34am
post #2 of 12

I too am new. But I held my first cake testing for a couple sunday at my home. My feeling is that you should see where your cake is being made. It went very well.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 2:38am
post #3 of 12

I do them at the couples home. It gives me an idea of there style and who they are. Besides they love the idea of not having to go anywhere and you come to them. It is that extra mile!

bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 2:38am
post #4 of 12

When I was doing it I would meet them at a Starbucks. I used the one closest to my house. I really didn't want a bunch of people coming to my house, it made me nervous. When I very first started I would try to get online and find a Starbucks near them but that got too hard because I couldn't always tell what was near them and then it was far for me. So I started having them come to me. They would have to come to where I was if I had a shop and it's the only time they have to. It worked out well, the people at the Starbucks got used to me being there. icon_smile.gif

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 2:38am
post #5 of 12

I always go to their home and take a few samples and my books. They love the "special" treatment. I haven't been turned down yet!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 2:40am
post #6 of 12

In my home. My front room is my "office / meeting / display / storage" and "warehouse B" room (ok, maybe it's not that bad..... oh wait, maybe it is!) icon_redface.gif

Anyway....I have my shelves and some tables with styrofoams, different cake stand set ups, some silk florals, wedding toppers, etc. My dining room table was moved in there and we all sit around the table. Since I also do catering, I usually have hot food items for them to sample also. While they are sampling, I explain a little about each dish, give them my sales pitch on what we do and why we do it, ask a few general questions, take some general notes. When they are done with the food, I cut the sample cake for "dessert". I clear the plates out of their way and we get down to the nitty-gritty .... going thru my cake photos, and talking about what they want, etc.

Sometimes I meet a bride at another vendor's location. Like a wedding planner will tell me she has a bride coming over and can I come over with some samples. So I pack a small picnic and take the show on the road! icon_biggrin.gif

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 2:19pm
post #7 of 12

I haven't had any bridal tastings yet, but hope too soon.. anyway, I have 4 children, ages 3, 6,13, and15 so having a tasing in my home is a big NOT! I am going to offer to meet at their house, and make that unique service that I offer. (I'll not tell them that I have a house full of kids that would ruin the wedding cake tasting mood) haha
now, I do have a commercial kitchen in my basement, I still have 4 KIDS hanging out here, so I will always meet them at either a coffee house or their home.

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 2:33pm
post #8 of 12

I have them at my home, at my kitchen table (we don't have a dining room). Of course, the house needs to be super clean, because the few times I've not cleaned the BACK of the house, someone asks to use the bathroom! But, they like to see that my work area is clean and uncluttered also; it's to your professional image's benefit. Also, if you do tastings at your home, clean around your entryway and front porch, too. I always check my front porch, 'cause that is where my husband smokes, and there are ashes there half the time. Anyway...
My home office is my kitchen area, so people can see some pictures of my work hanging, and my business license hanging up also.
I am totally prepped before they arrive with a few samples, nice plates, napkins, forks, and glasses (for the mini-bottled waters I stock for tastings). I'll usually have some flowers on the table, also.
My business is at my home, so I don't mind people seeing where their cake is coming from...I encourage it. I have kids, too; most of my tastings are on the weekends, due to clients' schedules, so sometimes the kids are around, sometimes my husband can take them outside or out for lunch, etc.
Do what you are most comfortable with; this is what works for me.

anesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anesha Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 2:21am
post #9 of 12

I think it is a good idea to taste test at your home for two reasons:
1, so that the prospective customers can be assured the quality of your product by evaluating the workspace. I know I wouldnt want to meet someone in one place and have them bake my cake in a different place, especially if you are not commercial.
2, it gives the customer a feel for you, they already have an idea of what they want, the question is are you going to put as much thought and passion into the cake as they think you will. By inviting them into your home and allowing the to get a feel for you and the environment you enjoy most, you allow them to see if you are right for them.
I have done several taste testings at home and they have all been successful.

Good Luck

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 4:07am
post #10 of 12

I do my consultations and taste testings at my home although I will go to them if its easier. I have also done the starbucks thing too but prefer it at my kitchen table. I also have samples of decorated cookies for wedding favors so its much easier for them to come to me. Not all brides ask for a testing but if I have some available I will usually have some ready for them and they are suprised it was offered to them.

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 12:57pm
post #11 of 12

There are pros/cons of each method. I can see that going to the bride's home gives an insight into the bride's taste and color favorites, however, I, too, agree that it would put the couple's mind at rest to see what my kitchen/home looks like for sanitation reasons. Also, I have 25+ cake books from which to choose a design. I can't see trying to carry all of those AND the cake samples to a tasting at someone else's home. When the appointment is made, I guess you could offer them the choice. icon_smile.gif

BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 1:06pm
post #12 of 12

I used do them at my home but when I moved to a rural area I have since started meeting with clients at Starbucks to avoid having them drive an hour or more to my home.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%