Anyone Take Wilton Course #1?

Decorating By MarineWifey Updated 22 Jul 2007 , 1:11pm by springlakecake

MarineWifey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarineWifey Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 27

Has anyone taken it? I'm new to this whole thing. Never decorated a cake in my life, but it seems interesting so I signed up for Course 1 at the craft store.

I'm hoping to make a cute cake for my husband's homecoming from Iraq. Nothing too huge or detailed, but just something to let him know I tried. lol.

Did any of you start out in a Wilton course knowing absolutely nothing? Because that's exactly where I stand right now. lol. Just trying to get an idea of how good I could get at this if I practiced because it is definitely something I would like to get into.

Thanks for any info! icon_smile.gif

26 replies
Luxe42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luxe42 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 27

Welcome! I took the course but I had already read a book about cake decorating and lost myself in the forums here reading anything and everything!

You will do great! If you are excited about something then you will put everything into it. Work isn't work if you love what you do!

Good luck! Enjoy your new hobby thumbs_up.gif

4them Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4them Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 27

Took the course learned alot of basics It was a huge wilton sells pitch the first night I almost quit but after ignoring somethings and finding this site I got through it

laneym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneym Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 27

I took the Wilton I and II last year and absolutely LOVED it. I had dabbled around with cakes, but nothing fancy. I couldn't have dreamed all the things that I would learn at the classes as well as here. I walked into the class with just the basic knowledge (bags, tips, and that's about it). I am really enjoying all the cakes that I have made. I have even made a little money, which isn't bad!! I am going to take Wilton III soon, but just need to be able to fit it into the schedule. You couldn't have found a better website for cake decorating. The artists who post on here are absolutely amazing. Any problem, question or idea someone can answer it. Any you will notice that there is a warning on the home page that this site is ADDICTING!!! That is an understatement. My son told me the other day, he one was able to use the computer....before I found this site. I don't know how many times I have heard. ..."are you on that site again?" icon_biggrin.gif You will love the Wilton Classes and best of luck to you!!!

Elaine

Strazle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Strazle Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 27

Welcome to cc! I took Courses 1, 2, 3, and the fondant/gumpaste class. I had decorated one cake before those classes and it was not pretty. I started my classes in Nov. 2006 and finished in Feb. 2007. It was just to "get out of the house" one night a week...but now, I'm hooked and continue to challenge myself.

If you look under galleries and go to the category "First Time Cakes" you will see alot of Wilton course cakes. That should give you an idea of what types of techniques you will learn.

Good luck and enjoy!

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 27

I took Courses ! & @, started 3, family life got in the way. I loved it. I'm actually going to retakethem when I can.
I want to suggest what my instructor told us. We all bought the course 1 student kit, she had us trade up for the caddy. Mine has a green top to it, of course it's several years old. My BIL just got back from Kuwait. With your hubby coming home, the cake could be made of dog food & I'm sure he would love it. I'm sure once you are done with the course or courses you'll make him the most beautiful cake ever. thumbs_up.gif

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 27

I am with Srarzle - I wanted to get out of the house and ended up finding a new hobby.

The first 3 courses really give you the basics and confidence to decorate. I am now taking Fondant and Gum paste and really like it.

Read as much as you can. You will learn only so much in the Wilton classes, but I have learned much more on these boards.

beverlyanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beverlyanne Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 9:46pm
post #8 of 27

I took all three classes -- I had never done "cake decorating" prior to that time -- but I was ready, willing and I think able. It's lots of fun and pretty simple. Usually the other "students" are in the same boat as you. I had lots of fun and the people at my office loved to eat the cakes after I made them. It's amazing the different tricks of the trade. I think my favorite was decorating a two tiered wedding cake with fondant and hand made flowers (which is the last course). I say go for it girl!!! I think you'll have a good time with it.

adawndria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adawndria Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 9:48pm
post #9 of 27

I'm in course two right now. Really liked course 1. I plan on taking course 3. Don't be afraid of the rose! I was, but it's really not that hard!

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 9:58pm
post #10 of 27

I took 1,2 and 3 and loved all of them!! I had never done much of anything before. I love it now!

Tell Hubby I said thanks for protecting my freedom!!

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 9:58pm
post #11 of 27

I've only taken course 1 and most of what they taught in that course i already learned on my own. the course was a birthday gift from hubby who thought i wasgoing to get more then what they were teaching. he wasn't told it was just course 1 he thought he had paid for all 3. I still went and enjoyed it.i needed help on roses anyways. (i still havent mastered those suckers lol- i resort to silk and real lol)

MarineWifey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarineWifey Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 10:19pm
post #12 of 27

Wow! I've never posted a topic in any forum and got so many replies in such a short amount of time! All of you are great! Thanks for all the info icon_smile.gif

I'll let you know how it goes!

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 10:23pm
post #13 of 27

I took course 1 last month....Taken course 2 currently....taking course 3 and fondant/gumpaste next month...i knew absolutely NOTHING about cake decorating when i started...i knew how to bake a cake and put icing on it..that was it..I have absolutely loooooved taking the courses..cant wait to finish the classes thats why im taking 2 courses next month...ive had so much fun..especially now that i am guessing i am the only student in this course i guess...was 4 signed up..3 the first night and me only last night..kinda hope it stays only me ..hehe :::greedy:::

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 10:37pm
post #14 of 27

I've taken all three, but have yet to do the fondant/gumpaste class - would like to tho. My hubby got them for me for Christmas in 2005, and I took the courses Winter/Spring of 2006. It's now a passion for me, and I'd love to really do it for a living. I found a place to do it even, it's just that financial thing that's holding me back! LOL I think they are a lot of fun! I'm with 4them - the first night is a total sales pitch, but once you get past that, it's a good time. I learned lots - lots of stuff that I haven't gone back to, but I have the basic know how now. I think I've learned just as much from this site as I did in the classes tho. Also, books are great - I found one the other day.... 50 easy party cakes by Debbie Brown - some of the cutest cakes I've seen! Let us know how you do, and be sure to post pictures of those cakes!!

rebe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebe Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 10:49pm
post #15 of 27

hi,
i took course 1,2,3 and am currently taking the 4th course fondant and gumpaste. I absolutely love them and am sad that they don't have more classes. I recommend it highly. you learn a lot of tricks from the teacher and other students that just make things a lot easier. I must admit i became an adict after taking the classes. i have a long way to go before getting as good at the ladies on this site but i take it one day at a time.

God bless your husband and the sacrifice he has made for our country.

Good luck

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 11:06pm
post #16 of 27

As a Wilton Instructor I recommend that if you purchase a course 1 Student Kit, don't open it till your instructor has talked with you. Yes, there are sales pitches but I am completely honest with my students and tell them what they absolutely need, what are nice to have's and what they shouldnt waste their money on. I usually try and push the huge caddy's with all the "stuff" b/c there is so much in there and it actually saves you tons of money in the end. But make sure that you understand that the huge big daddy kit only gets you thru course 1. Some of my students bought the kit thinking it would get them thru all 4 courses and it does not, you will still need to purchase all the kits separately for each course.

Hope this helps! Have fun and enjoy your new hobby!!!!! And welcome to your new addiction (Cake Central!!!)

Ginger

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 11:16pm
post #17 of 27

I took the class a couple of years ago and found it to be a great experience.

On the first night the teacher should show you how to level a cake,
ice it smooth, mix icing, delute it to different consistencies, and load bags.

She will also talk about all the stuff that Wilton makes and suggest you buy it. You don't really need too.

Here's what you "really" need.

meringue powder
clear flavoring

cake pans ( the three inch high and 8 round is nice but you can make do this two 2 inch pans)

the cake strips help to get a flat topped cake but so does turning down the oven temp to 325

disposable bags ( gotta have them icon_lol.gif )

A cake leverer...at least I need one because I just make a mess when I try to do it using a serated knife.

As for parchment bags and the piping gel: ask one of the other students if they want to go in together cause it is two years later and I still have them laying around. You really only need a a little bit of each of them.

The icer tip is handy and it needs its own featherweight bag cut to size.

a bigger spatula than they give in the kit to get a clean smooth top of the cake finish

the turn table is nice but a lazy susan (if you already have one) works just as well

buy what ever color gels you will use again, you won't need every color of the rainbow, yet icon_biggrin.gif

the clown heads are pretty useless ( okay, they just aren't my style) after you use them that one time on the piped figures so buy them only if you think you will be doing lots of circus cakes

some people swear by the Cake Release stuff, I use wax paper that is greased set in a greased and floured pan myself and never have to worry about the cake sticking to the pan

the flower lifter is wonderful if you are in a hurry. If you have the time, make the roses ahead of time on little wax paper squares and let them air dry a couple of hours. Then you can place them on the cake with your hands-- pretty cool tip I learned here on cc.

also buy a tip # 352 to make leaves.
the one they give in the kit is practically useless....the tips of the leaves never look nice, just broken.

Also...there is a super clean way to load bags, put a blob of icing on a piece of cling wrap, roll it up and drop it in to the piping bag.
When you squeeze the bag, the cling wrap pops open and the icing will come out the bottom with out making a huge mess in the bag. It makes doing two colors easy as well as changing colors a breeze.

As for making your honey a cake, even if you don't get the hang of the roses by the end of the class, you will still have enough skills to make a beautiful cake the will knock his socks off.

I have seen some great cakes made with just stars in the shape of flags...very effective.

Happy decorating.

thumbs_up.gif
mommachris

JuneHawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneHawk Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 11:23pm
post #18 of 27

Out of curiousity, how much do the courses cost?

June

Charmed1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed1 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 1:33am
post #19 of 27

Junehawk,

The cost of the course depends on where you take it. At Michael's there is a different promotion every month. This month it was pay for the course {$30.00} and get the Course kit for a penny. Last month it was 30% off the price of the course {$21.00}.

I started taking the courses in March 2006. I loved them so much I took every course twice! It was so much fun, and I found my passion. When Michael's was looking to add a teacher, my former teacher recommended me, and now I teach the Wilton courses!

I am very honest with my students about what would be a good purchase, and what they probably wouldn't use. I think every person has different styles and talents and they usually figure out what they personally need and what would be a waste of money.

I LOVE my job, I meet wonderful people and I get to talk cake all the time. I always recommend this website, not only for the wealth of knowledge, but for the sense of community and friendliness you find here.

If you can, I would urge you to take a Wilton course and see if you like it!
Have a great night!
Charmed1 icon_lol.gif

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 12:11pm
post #20 of 27

I knew nothing about cake decorating & took all 3 courses at the local Michaels. I am nowhere near as good as some of the CCers on this site, but I sure have learned a lot & now cake making is my escape & passion. Any excuse to make a cake. As mentioned previously, the CC site is addictive & the first way to a cure (but do I want one???) is to admit to your addiction. I can spend HOURS on the site & my friends are now known as enablers, as they scour garage sales etc for cake pans/tools etc for me.A friend is off to England next week & she already has the money from me to look for unusual cookie cutters, cake making equipment, tools etc. So there you go. I have admitted that simply by taking course 1, I have become an addict.Oh well! There could be no better addiction & the results are truly delicious.

rikley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rikley Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 12:21pm
post #21 of 27

I've taken Levels 1, 2 and 3, plus gumpaste flowers. You'll do fantastic: if your teacher is anything like the one I had, they were very hands on and if you didnt understand, they took the time to show you individually. Best of luck icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 12:25pm
post #22 of 27

I've taken all 4 of the classes. I knew some basics prior to taking the first one. You don't need any basics prior to taking the class, they will show you everything.

cmeridge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmeridge Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:50pm
post #23 of 27

I am taking class 1 right now. I have made a few cakes, but I wanted to learn little tricks of the trade. I also love getting away from the family for a few hours a week. icon_biggrin.gif It's great, I am learning things I just can't get by reading the books. The teacher is 80 so she has a lot of practice, and lots of knowlege.
have fun.
Cris

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 8:23pm
post #24 of 27

I have had some prior decorating experience, but I have learned alot from Class 1. I am still in the middle of it, but I'm really enjoying it. There are techniques that are new to me and I'm finding all the stuff I'm learning to be very helpful! I have serious issues with roses, but my instructor is helping me a TON! Best of luck in your class! I hope you have fun!
><>
Abbie

novacaine24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
novacaine24 Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 12:21am
post #25 of 27

I started looking at the Charm City Cake site last week because the bakery here doesn't work with fondant (!), and Duff sent me here - how lucky am I?
I'm already addicted, and I just bought the Wilton Course 1 book/starter kit on eBay. (The only classes I could find are a 2 hr. drive away) Am I going to be able to learn from the books + this site, or am I sunk already?
Please let me know, ladies, I need all the advice I can get!
MarineWifey, thanks for your post, sorry I jumped in but I feel like I already found a newbie life support system! icon_biggrin.gif Here's to happy decorating for us both!

KandKsMadre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KandKsMadre Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 4:35am
post #26 of 27

I am currently in the 1st class..I have never taken a cake class..The only thing I know about decorating cake is what I taught myself..Simple borders and writing...I JUST learned how to make frosting hehe...That being said, I'm doing really well in the class..It is a learning experience and I'm enjoying myself at the same time!! I get to learn how to make roses on Tuesday so I'm very excited about that!! My sister has an ice cream social on Thurs. for the city band, and she asked me to make her cake for it....I'm nervous but at the same time, the Wilton class has given me the confidence to try something new and I'm going to actually decorate it and hopefully it will turn out and I'll get some good pictures!!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 1:11pm
post #27 of 27

I think a lot of us have taken the wilton courses. I think they are a great way to start. Thought there really is a ton outside of wilton to learn! I really have learned the most through this site, but I doubt I could have done so with out the foundation of the wilton course.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%