Pearl Making Molds

Decorating By padawn71 Updated 12 Sep 2006 , 12:17am by vixterfsu

padawn71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
padawn71 Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 12:44pm
post #1 of 12

was just wondering if anyone had any experience with these type of molds..i am working on those pearls...(but by hand) and am making my brothers wedding cake..and it is a very tedious and time consuming thing to do by hand...anyone try out the molds and how do they work? thanks so much...dawn

11 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 12:57pm
post #2 of 12

The molds make a string of pearls about 6" long. They look nice and are easy to work with. Grease or dust the inside of the mold and lay the fondant inside then close the mold and wala you have pearls.

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 12

I just bought a mold but haven't used it yet. I made a whole bunch by hand also and decided then that the next cake I would try a mold lol.

Good luck!!!!

sdanczak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdanczak Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 12

It depends on what results you are looking for. I bought the molds and found out that if you are in need of individual pearls - rolling them by hand is the best way to go. I am sure that they would produce great pearls if they are to be used as a strand but I haven't tried that yet. Rolling them by hand is time consuming but well worth it with the results!

Rookie68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rookie68 Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 12

Hi!

For individual pearls you can follow Earlene Moore's trick too..

http://www.earlenescakes.com/prlinstruct.htm

Peggy

sdanczak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdanczak Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 12

True - Earlene's method works great!!!

Cindy_Gl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy_Gl Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 11:33pm
post #7 of 12

I made a ton of these for my daughters wedding cake, ( a gallon ziploc bag full). I first made them the Earlene way, and it was time consuming so I bought the mold, I hated it, for me it was hard to figure out, then after getting great tips from fellow CC'ers, I figured it out, but decided I like the look of the individual beads better. I took the ones I made from the mold and rolled them individually in my hand. So what I am trying to get across in all this gibberish is, don't waste your money on the molds, do them Earlene's way!

http://www.earlenescakes.com/prlinstruct.htm

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 11:40pm
post #8 of 12

Yes, I just bought the pearl maker too and didn't care for it. I ended rolling my beads by hand as well. They look much better. I love the "Earlene" way, works great!
Jacqui

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 11:45pm
post #9 of 12

I do it two ways.. one by hand individually, w/ out a mold,
the other using a mold. Like these here in my photos:
LL
LL

HunBun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HunBun Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 12:08am
post #10 of 12

I tried making pearls a couple weeks ago using Earlene's method and discovered my tips were too small to make pearls the size I wanted. I had already rolled out my fondant and made a bunch of discs. So I rolled two discs together to make pearls twice as big. This is probably a well-known trick, but I was so excited I thought I would share anyway.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 12:15am
post #11 of 12

MY hubby bought me a pearl mold because I just "had to have one" but after messing around with it for an hour and no desireable results, I stopped and rolled by hand .. the mold seemed to complicate things for me icon_redface.gif

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 12:17am
post #12 of 12

I have a few and find that you have to dust
alot with Pearl dust to get them to fall out.
I have had great luck though and it cuts down time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%