Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning? (9/11)

Lounge By cakesbyjess Updated 16 Sep 2006 , 2:50am by cakesbyjess

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 5:06am
post #1 of 44

Thought it would be appropriate to commemorate the 5th anniversary of 9/11 by sharing where you were/what you were doing on that fateful morning when you heard what was happening ... *I hope I am not offending anyone*

I was driving to work, and had just pulled into the parking lot (it was 8:48 AM). The song on the radio was interrupted and the DJ came on and said that a plane had just crashed into the North Tower. I was shocked. I stayed in my car in the parking lot and listened to the coverage for a few minutes. By the time I walked into work and got to my desk, my coworkers were all gathered around one of the TV's (we had TV's -tuned to financial news- interspersed in our building since we worked with investments), and we watched in horror as the second plane went into the South Tower. I don't think any of us did much work that day. We all seemed to just be numb and in shock. I remember at one point there was speculation that a plane was headed for Cleveland (I think it was the one that ended up crashing in the field in PA), so I was on the phone with my family (who lives south of Cleveland) to make sure everyone was OK. I also remember being in touch with my parents often because we have a lot of family and friends in Manhattan. Also, I knew that my best friend rode the subway that stopped at the WTC, and I was terrified that she may have been there when the collapses occurred. Since all of the phone systems ended up going down in Manhattan, we were all worried sick until later that night when we were finally able to get ahold of everyone.

It's still so hard to believe that it happened. What a tragedy.

43 replies
VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 5:46am
post #2 of 44

My DH and I had just finished a Caribbean cruise and had stopped in Orlando to visit Universal. We were getting ready to head home that morning (thankfully we drove) and stopped for breakfast. A man in the next booth had a nextel phone and we could hear him talking with someone about a plane crashing into the WTC. We thought it was just an accident until we got back to our hotel to pack up and watched the horror on TV. I can't believe that it's been 5 years!

morg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morg Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 5:49am
post #3 of 44

I was on duty and we had an overhead TV in dispatch for white noise. (Lessens stress) We worked and watched plane two hit the tower. It was one of the worst things I ever watched. I guess my voice reflected that on the radio because before I knew it dispatch was packed with officers watching the coverage on the TV.

Next out came the black armbands and we were put on Alert status. (Securing perimeters and such...closing down the port). Our agency is close to MacDill Strategic Command.

I sat there working thinking that NYC dispatchers must be living a personal hell that day. Having units *not* answer a status check (police and fire). Call takers: (911, etc) would be absolutely swamped. Chaos most likely reigned, and those knee deep in it multi-tasked like never before. God bless them all.

usaribbon.gif

alracntna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alracntna Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 5:50am
post #4 of 44

I had taken my son to school that morning and came home and turned on the tv to see that the news was on every channel. i sat dawn to see what was so important that it was on every channel and i watched in horror as i saw the 2nd plane hit. i called my mom and i asked her if she thought we were in danger. i started hearing that our schools may be a target and i went and took my son out of school and i called my DH and told him to come home so we could be together as a family.

i watched the united 93 the other night and i just watched in tears knowing what was going to happen and that things were so confusing that they could not stop what was going to happen.

may god bless all who were in those planes and in the towers and the families of those who were, on that day 5 years ago.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 8:13am
post #5 of 44

I had just gotten up, sat down and turned on the TV and the computer, and Good Morning America was on, but they were talking about the first plane that had hit the tower! Then in the background of the shot, the second plane disappeared behind the second tower and exploded! Everyone was in shock, and couldn't believe what was happening!

As I sat here, alone, and watched the coverage and the details unfold, I just couldn't believe my eyes! I watched and watched the horror, and cried and cried! It is still like a nightmare! So far I have not been able to watch any of the tv stories, even for me it is like living it all over again, I can't imagine how difficult it has to be for family and friends who lost loved ones that day! Janice

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 11:05am
post #6 of 44

I had just given my 5 1/2 mo. old a bottle and was watching him play in the floor...and then I heard it on the news; but it was so hard to believe--it didn't really sink in for a little while.

I was also 2 mon. pregnant with my 2nd child and didn't even know it yet, lol!

I'm just glad it wasn't a mon, wed, or a fri. b/c those were the days I was going to college...I would have much rather been at home and with my son when the USA became under attack.

I still can't watch any of the stories about it or anything.

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 11:25am
post #7 of 44

I was on my way into town(columbus) when the news of what was happening came on the radio. The news wasn't very clear...as no one really knew what was happening at first. I called my husband and gave him the sketchy news and told him to turn it on. What a sad and horrific day as it all unfolded. I wanted to be home with my family. When my children actually arrived home and I touched them, it was so emotional. I can't even imagine what those families in NYC, DC and those with loved ones on flight 93 felt( and still feel today). My prayers and thoughts are with those families.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 11:49am
post #8 of 44

I was...teaching a class full of innocent children

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 12:06pm
post #9 of 44

I was at the emergency room, because I had really bad pains in my belly. it was like big contractions (I wasn't even pregnant) There was a tv in the waiting room and we were watching the morning show we have here in Quebec (Salut-Bonjour) and then the news crew came on. It was finally my turn to see the doctor. He told me to stop complaining that some people were worst than me, that I just had to look at the news!!! He gave me a prescription of pills and sent me home. I spent the entire day on my couch, watching the news.

I went back to the doc (another one of course) 2 days later, after two weeks of tests and explorative surgery, everything got back in order, for me at least. But the world will never be.....

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 12:10pm
post #10 of 44

I as at home with my almost 1 year old son. My little sister was in town staying with us for a few weeks, and she watched with me as the towers were hit. I woke up dh...he was working swing shift at the time, after the first plane hit. We all just sat in horror as everything unfolded. We couldn't believe what we were watching. I have never been so scared in my life as I was on that day. DH and I watched 9/11 last night, and were amazed at the first hand footage that the two men got. I know it will be all over the news today, and I feel for the families of the victims. One child on the tv last night said that it's like seeing your parent being murdered over and over again, and said that most victims wish the media would stop showing it. God bless them all, and our soldiers who are fighting these people now.

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 12:15pm
post #11 of 44

I was at work and I don't think I will ever forget that day. It seemed like everything just stopped. It was such a powerful moment of disbelief. Last night I watched the 9-11 special and didn't move an inch. Seemed like just yesterday. Thanks Jess for posting this thread.....I hope people take time to remember today.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 12:53pm
post #12 of 44

My DH and I were on vacation in Yellowstone. We stayed in the Mammoth Springs Hotel (no TV's in rooms), I was putting on my make-up and DH was in the shower. I was listening to the radio when they said a plane hit the first tower--chills went all over me. I ran into the bathroom and told my husband--he threw me out of the bathroom.

I told him this was no accident--it couldn't have been. By the time he came out, the second tower was hit. We went down to the lobby where there was a big screen TV. Several people were huddled around it. I thought it was odd that alot of the foreigners in Yellowstone were just going about their business until I saw one young Frenchman walking--his body just wracking with tears and emotion.

We got into our truck and drove to our next destination--Jackson Hole. The park was so peaceful and beautiful and yet chaos was taking over the rest of the US. My husband said that was the quietest I have ever been...did not talk until we got to Jackson Hole. Most of the businesses were closed due to the attacks. Good thing we drove.

My grandmother, tried to talk us into coming home early because gas prices got up to $5.00 a gallon at home but never budged where we were. That was a somber vacation but I will never forget.

NeeNee30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NeeNee30 Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 12:55pm
post #13 of 44

I was at home, had just taken my son to school. My husband called to ask me if I was watching the news. I turned it on, and they were talking about the first plane, and then I watched in horror and shock as the second plain hit. Then watched as the two towers collapsed. I cried most of the day, on and off. I remember them saying that they had halted all air traffic. I went outside to hang out clothes at one point, and remember looking up at the sky and not seeing one plane. Usually at any given time of the day, if you go outside and look up at the sky, you will always see at least one airplane flying over. That day there were none, and I remember that hitting me very hard. I can't explain why that had such an effect on me, but I will never forget the feeling that I had when I saw NO planes in the sky, and knowing why. That day will forever be branded in our minds and hearts. I will never forget.

HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 1:05pm
post #14 of 44

I was at work and remember thinking when I heard about the first plane hitting, "Boy, that pilot is in trouble!". I thought it must have been a small plane that had just gotten lost or confused and it was all an accident. We turned a tv on and saw the second plane hit. It was just unbelievable! My husband is a volunteer firefighter and he called me shortly after the second plane hit and said he was going to New York because he wanted to be there and help his brothers! Luckily, he realized that it probably was best to stay home and let them work things out but it was scary. The next few days we just watched as much coverage as we could and prayed for everyone. He still considers it the day he lost 343 brothers and sisters. Firefighters are a tight family and this rocked that whole community.
God bless them,
Heather

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 1:11pm
post #15 of 44

I was at home with my oldest who was 19 mos at the time. Washing the breakfast dishes while he ate...had the tv on in the den tuned to the Today show. When I first heard them say something about the first tower being hit by a plane, I went over and looked at it but could not believe what I was seeing. Went and cleaned the baby up from his meal and then as I sat down on the floor to play w/him, the second tower was hit. I have never been full of fear like I was right then. And the mental images of what must've been going on there at the towers were just too much. I immediately called DH and wanted him to come home, but his boss wouldn't let him, of course. A few hours later I realized that we knew someone who was living in NYC and working in that area. A couple of days later we found out that he had gone in to help rescue people and was crushed by the building as it fell apart. He had gone to NYC to follow his dream of making it as a musician and was working in a restaurant near the towers. He also had decided to train and join the fire department. That morning, he was on his way to work when the towers were hit, according to his roomates. All they could figure was that he must've spotted some of the guys from the station that he'd gotten to know as he started his training, etc., and decided to try and help.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 1:17pm
post #16 of 44

I was up making my then 2 yr. old breakfast and my mom called from work telling me to turn on the tv, and I said what channel?? She said ANY CHANNEL!!! As soon as I turned on the tv, it didn't even register what I was seeing. I was living in Ohio at the time, so I didn't feel an immediate threat, I watched the coverage as they showed the aftermath of the pentagon building and watched the second tower being hit! My boyfriend who I had a long distance relationship with was in New Jersey, and it just occured to me he was exactlly between New York and D.C. and I started to freak out. I had to go to work later that day and at the time I was working in a nursing home and half of the home was elderly people, the other half psychiatric patients......I was on the psychiatric side that night and you wouldn't believe the mayhem going on in there.......we had to confiscate televisions from people per the request of their family members because all of the patients were running around screaming that World war 3 had begun and we would all eventually become affected by it. I went outside on my break to find a coworker in tears, i asked him what was wrong and he said My sister works in the trade center and she won't answer her phone! I didn't know what to say, so I sat and prayed with him. turns out his sister's car broke down and she missed her train and arrived at work after the fact! I worked as a police dispatcher before the nursing home and I remember thinking how awefull it must be to be sitting at a desk while all of this was going on, not being able to do anything. My heart goes out to all of the families affected by this horrible tragedy!!!

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 1:34pm
post #17 of 44

I was at home with my then 2 1/2 year old and 3 month old. I rarely had the news on, usually Nickelodeon, but that day I happened to turn to the news and saw that the WTC had been hit by a plane. And to my complete horror, I watched as the 2nd plane hit. I stayed glued to the TV, like so many others, for several days. I didn't know anyone personally, but I felt so devastated to see all those people lose their lives and then was even more mortified to learn these were terrorist attacks. My heart went out to all those people!! Selfishly, I thank God my kids are not old enough to be in the military! I pray everyday for the men and women and their safe return home!!

debilou68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debilou68 Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 2:06pm
post #18 of 44

I was a 1st grade assistant teacher at the time,, and the teacher that I was working with and I were completely into what we were doing in the classroom when we saw many of the teachers in the hall. All the kids were curious as to what was going on,, we had tv's in the room but we only listened to a little bit of the coverage.

pooker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pooker Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 2:12pm
post #19 of 44

I was at home with my 9 month old DD. I was watching a movie on cable when the planes struck, and didn't know it until I took a shower. I have a radio in there and heard all the commotion that was going on. I called my DH and my dad...

Then I was glued to the TV for the rest of the day. I watched as the towers fell, and never cried so much. I force myself to relive this every year. Just to remind myself of how evil some people can be. I think even though we *remember*, time can sometimes dull our memories. I do not ever want to forget this horror. That may sound weird to you, but I just want to always remember the hate I have for the terrorists, and that keeps it fresh.

Being a Christian, I REALLY hate myself for thinking that way, but man, it is SO very hard not to.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 2:44pm
post #20 of 44

Wow...I think I am the first New Yorker to comment....the tears are flowing because 5 years have not changed my feelings one iota. I remember standing on my balcony, watching the smoke pouring from the towers....and what used to be part of my view, is now a memory....a sad, sad memory.

My heart goes out to the families of the victims. I know many close-callers who didn't make it to work that day for whatever reason...and I know some families who have lost their loved ones....but if I, who has not personally lost a family member, feels such grief...I can't even imagine what the families who lost their babies, spouses parents & siblings....what are they feeling????
Sure, I was scared...I was pregnant...I had a 2 year old with me...my brother was a NYC cop....I had a dozen family members working in Manhattan that day....my husband was at work. I was terrified!!!! It wasn't just on the news....it was HAPPENING!!!! A friend of mine, 8 months pregnant, lived in Battery Park. She literally walked to Staten Island. Miles and miles...covered in soot. Everyone had to walk everywhere....the dust lingered for months & years!!!
If anyone had ever visited the WTC before 9/11, they know that there was a tiny, Greek Orthodox Church at the base of one of the buildings. It was so out-of-place amongst the sky-scrapers, but it was the church my mom attended when she lived in Manhattan as a teenager. They never sold out. They held onto their tiny piece of land in lieu of all the offers that were made to them, but, sadly,we lost our beloved little church on that day, too.
I curse Hollywood for trying to make that damn buck! Those poor families need a break....not a reminder!!!

ShabbyChic_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 3:45pm
post #21 of 44

I was taking my children to school with my husband, we had to drive 30 miles to the school and on our way back we turned on the radio and we were confused and didn't understand what happened until we got home and turned on the tv, I remember sitting on the floor, leaning on the coffe table, I was 5 months pregnant and that same day in the afternoon we went to see a house that we wanted to buy and that same day we bought it. Like I said I was 5 months pregnant ans my husband had to keep me out of watching the news because I coundn't stop crying and my belly was getting so hard, I was having contractions, I remember that that a month before my husband lost his job, I had to stop working due to pregnancy complications and we were so depressed and sad, and after seeing what happened it made us think how blessed we were, it was so hard to explain to my kids what happened, but I did in the best way you could explain to a 9 and 7 years old kids. I never, ever will forget that day, I always keep the victims in my prayers and I know that one day we all be togheter in eternity close to our creator, I know is hard not to feel sad, it is for me.
Good Bless America.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 4:33pm
post #22 of 44

I think my most painful memory that day was watching & waiting for the survivors... I remember them talking about how the ER's were staffed and they were getting beds ready for the crowds of injured and no one came.... that just broke my heart.

And I remember being unable to turn off the TV and watching as the towers fell - it was like a surreal nightmare. For months afterwards my kids would pray for the people who died in NYC and PA because that is what they remember hearing.......

monstersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monstersmom Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 5:26pm
post #23 of 44

I was doing the most ordinary thing...changing the sheets on my bed. Something so normal, yet I'll never forget it. I can even tell you which set of sheets it was.

"Good Morning America" was on and they were saying how the first plane must have been an accident...they couldn't imagine that some one could or would do that on purpose. Then the second plane came into view and struck the other tower. I remember hearing Diane Sawyer say "Oh my God" at the same time I did.

My son was only 2 years old at the time and we were trying for our second child. I honestly thought about not having another baby after that day, the evil the world saw on 9/11 made me fear for our children. I realized that this world needed more children to bring love, laughter and light into it...to counteract the evil. We did go on to have a beautiful daughter 10 months after 9/11.

sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 5:33pm
post #24 of 44

I was at work in a bakery in Sarasota, Florida- the same place the President happened to be where he was talking to those school children.

We didn't have a tv and found out when someone called to tell us what was happening. My boss had family (daughter and sister) in NYC so of course she was frantic and left immediately. I was alone in the bakery trying to figure out what was going on, the radio commentary was just a confusing mess. It took a long time for me to realize how serious this was....Finally decided I couldn't stay at work anymore and called dh to come get me.

Driving home we passed a makeshift blood donation center that had lines so long it looked like the whole city was there. Then we passed the airport where Airforce One was sitting. It is a really small airport and the road goes right by, so we were very close to the plane and I couldn't take my eyes off it- it was strange. Everything seemed so surreal...I just felt kind of numb. When we finally got home and I saw images of the WTC and Pentagon for the first time it really started to sink in. I'm sure we all had the same sick feeling that still hasn't gone away.

Amber

alip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alip Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 6:30pm
post #25 of 44

Like bonniecakes, I was teaching a class full of innocent children - 1st graders. Another teacher, who was having her planning period, came in and told me to check my email. Our principal had sent out an email giving very little information - just that a plane had crashed into the WTC. My first thought was of my Mom who was supposed to be flying that day. I had to wait until I took my students to lunch to get more information and to find out that my mom was safe.

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 6:57pm
post #26 of 44

I was already at work in Atlanta. I heard the news on the radio then everyone started running into the breakroom where the television was. At first I thought they were talking about a small field plane but when they replayed the clip I was in total shock. My heart fell to my stomach. The CFO of our department told us all to go home. No one was getting any work done b/c we were too concerned about everyone in and around this tragedy.

God Bless them all!

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 7:02pm
post #27 of 44

I was at work, a co-worker had a radio on and heard about the first tower...having never been to NYC I wasnt even sure I know what the WTC was (of course once I saw the pictures I knew) but I assumed it was foggy or bad weather and it was a terrible pilot error....I also assumed it had to be a tiny plane....but we went and found a TV and started to watch....and watched the second plane with disbelief.....that day affected me in a way I could never have predicted, panic attacks, anxiety etc....Even though I didnt know anyone in the attacks personally it just broke my heart. I will not watch any movies or specials about it because it physically makes me ill....but make no mistake, the images and feelings are burned in my mind. I happened to catch a few minutes of The View this morning and they were saying how in the past 5 years we have lost the kindness to one another that we had in the days that followed Sept 11th...Let it serve us as a reminder to be kinder to one another.

My prayers are with the families and friends of those who were lost....and those we have lost in the fight against terror (no matter what political beliefs we have).

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 8:11pm
post #28 of 44

I had just finished doing a Tae-Bo tape and had turned off the VCR, when "Good Morning America" was on. All I saw was the first tower with a hole in it, and then immediately heard Diane Sawyer say "Oh my God" and then watched the second plane hit. I called my husband & told him, then called my mom,who was my very best friend, and who lived in PA. I remember just wanting to be with my family. Today, as I watch all of the memorials, it has been tough because 2 years ago, I lost my mom to breast cancer, and as much as I miss her, I can't imagine the loss of all of the other thousands of people. Today, I send my prayers out to all lwho were directly affected by this unbelievable tragedy. God bless America.

KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 8:31pm
post #29 of 44

I HAD JUST TAKEN MY DAUGHTER TO SCHOOL AND WAS ON MY WAY TO WALMART WITH MY SON. I HEARD IT ON THE RADIO. I THEN WENT TO WORK. I WORKED FOR A HUSBAND AND WIFE WHOSE SON WORKED AS AN EMT IN THE CITY. THE SON WAS HOME WITH ME AND HIS DAD WAS WORKING IN THE CITY, TEN BLOCKS AWAY FROM THE WTC. HE WAS DOING CONSTRUCTION AND STANDING ON THE ROOFTOP WHEN THE 2ND PLANE HIT. THE MOM WAS IN WESTCHESTER, NY WORKING IN THE HOSPITAL. I ANSWERED THE PHONE AT THE POLAR BEAR ALL DAY LONG. FAMILY, FRIENDS AND ALL SORTS OF PEOPLE KEPT CALLING ALL DAY TO SEE IF SEAN WAS AT WORK OR HOME. I HAD SEAN WITH ME AND IT WAS FRANK I WAS WORRIED ABOUT. SEAN BOARDED A BUS AND WAS TAKEN TO THE CITY TO WORK. THEY WERE ALL SAFE. WE DID LOOSE SOMEONE FROM OUR NEIGHBORING MILL RIFT FIRE DEPT. DOUGLAS MILLER WHO BELONGED TO RESCUE 5 AND MY DAUGHTER WAS IN SCHOOL WITH ONE OF HIS DAUGHTERS. WE WILL NEVER FORGET ALL OF THE BRAVE HEROES ON THAT DAY!

I curse Hollywood for trying to make that damn buck! Those poor families need a break....not a reminder!!! WELL SAID ADVEN68, WELL SAID!!!!

cakes80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes80 Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 8:39pm
post #30 of 44

I was 7 months pregnant and working a temp job at a computer software company. I heard a bit on the radio about it before getting on a bus and by the looks on all the faces on the bus no one had heard about it yet. I was the last one off the bus and told the bus driver about it. (at that time only one plane had hit)I think it's weird that him and I will be in each other's memory forever even without any other connection. Anyway the software company I was working at had HUGE TV screens - the size of an entire wall of a very big long room so I watched those towers fall on a huge screen over and over again. It was heartwrenching. My husband called and told me about the Pentagon. I was absolutely sick and thought about the new world my child would be born into. I went home and tried to write a letter to my unborn child to try to explain but I couldn't. I still haven't finished it. I must have blocked some stuff out because I keep learning new information about that day even now. Like the smaller buildings around the Trade Center that burned and fell also. So sad. I hope no one ever forgets!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%