Buttercream Transfers??

Decorating By TiffTurtle Updated 27 Jan 2007 , 4:21am by busymom9501

TiffTurtle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffTurtle Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 29

ok this may seem like a crazy question to some of yall but what the heck is a B/C Transfer and how do you do it?
i have seen it talked about and was just wondering if it might be something that i might want to check into
thanks bunches!

28 replies
Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 29

No crazy questions around here, fellow Tiff - the princess in pink is my Tiff.

Here's the link to the article on CC about Frozen Butter Cream Transfers:
I have yet to try one - but I'm going to soon!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/article12-How-To-Create-a-Frozen-Buttercream-Transfer.html

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 29

Here 'ya go....all the info you need is on this link. Great fun technique...

http://www.cakecentral.com/article12-How-To-Create-a-Frozen-Buttercream-Transfer.html

Good luck!

Tiffysma Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilscakes

Here 'ya go....all the info you need is on this link. Great fun technique...

Good luck!

GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE! (AND POST AT THE SAME TIME)

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilypie Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 10:32pm
post #6 of 29

I almost did the same thing! good thing i checked first! : )

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 10:37pm
post #7 of 29

Don't delay, try a FBCT today!

I wasn't eager to try one. Then my nephew wanted an Auburn Tigers cake for his birthday and I decided to use a FBCT of the "Tiger Eyes" (in my photo gallery w/football) and I AM HOOKED! It's easier than it sounds and it's so much fun.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Tiffysma Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 10:39pm
post #8 of 29

Texas Sugar, thanks so much for your link. It is very clearly written and I love the step by step pictures. I've got to do one for a cake on Oct 6 and want to practice before then. I think I'm going to try that this week!

TiffTurtle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffTurtle Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 10:40pm
post #9 of 29

thanks bunches everyone!! after the last cake that i did where i discovered that i CAN NOT free hand i hope that this will help...lol

TexasSugar Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 10:41pm
post #10 of 29

Glad I could help. icon_smile.gif

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 10:44pm
post #11 of 29

Ok i'm confused lol I just read the tutorial but dont get #7 it says to smooth the back so do you put another piece of wax paper over your design and then flip it over? How do you cover the back without smearing the front? Any help is welcomed thanks

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 1:26am
post #12 of 29

anyone Please? Can you clarify step 7 the smoothing part

coke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coke Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 4:58am
post #13 of 29

just wiggle a toothpick in each color or rub with a small impliment. this is to get rid of the worm effect that shows up on the other side. If you work on a piece of plexi-glass you can hold it up and peek underneath to check for smoothness.

LittleBigMomma Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 11:30am
post #14 of 29

After I finish filling-in, using my fingertips, I "pat" the frosting down until it's level. Make sure the entire transfer is at least 1/4" thick and level. To get the "worming" effect out: after I have placed the transfer on the cake, I use the viva paper towel method to smooth out any "wormies" or wrinkles.

gabesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabesmom Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 7:45pm
post #15 of 29

I read the article on FBCT...... is it possible to get the same effect by using melted chocolate wafters? Do you think it would hold better than buttercream?

Kindly,
gabesmom

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 7:50pm
post #16 of 29

"Dance as if no one were watching, sing as if no one were listening, and live each day as if it were your last"

I like your quote Tiff thumbs_up.gif We think along the same lines icon_biggrin.gif K'ly ^,,^

SweetTater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTater Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 8:45pm
post #17 of 29

Thanks for all your great tips!! I just did my first practice fbct today....so easy and fun!!

I'm doing a Tom & Jerry Cake next week and will use this technique. Looking forward to posting it!

LittleBigMomma Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 9:58pm
post #18 of 29

[quote="gabesmom"]I read the article on FBCT...... is it possible to get the same effect by using melted chocolate wafters? Do you think it would hold better than buttercream?

I've used melted chocolate wafers. It was harder to "control" the fill-in and the transfer broke going onto the cake. I didn't like it as much as I do the FBCT.

TexasSugar Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 2:27am
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabesmom

I read the article on FBCT...... is it possible to get the same effect by using melted chocolate wafters? Do you think it would hold better than buttercream?

Yep, they call them Chocolate Transfers. If you search the board you can find some directions that are geared toward the candy melts, with tips and tricks for them.

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 3:17am
post #20 of 29

After I did my first FBCT I was hooked!!!! It was so fun and easy (almost too easy).

Quote:
Quote:

Ok i'm confused lol I just read the tutorial but dont get #7 it says to smooth the back so do you put another piece of wax paper over your design and then flip it over? How do you cover the back without smearing the front? Any help is welcomed thanks

Once you have your design finished, pipe a layer of your background icing on top of your design. I smooth over that with a Viva papertowel. Be gentle with it and it won't affect your main design.

gabesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabesmom Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 4:41pm
post #21 of 29

Thanks TexasSugar and LittleBigMomma!!!!

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 20 Sep 2006 , 10:48pm
post #22 of 29

I NEED HELP !!! I'm going to try and do my first FBCT tonight....for practice (thank goodness).

I read the other thread this morning but can't find it now....the one that explained how to get the picture you are using backwards (a mirror image). I have a picture from a coloring book that I am using but I can't remember what it said about getting the picture backwards !!!

Can someone help???
I don't have a scanner. I found the "invert image" on the properties section of my computer (printer properties). But where do I go from here?

SweetTater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTater Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 1:01am
post #23 of 29

If you don't have a scanner, then you wouldn't be able to use the coloring book and your computer to create a reverse image.

You can take a piece of parchment paper, lay it over your coloring book image and trace it. Then turn the parchment paper over...that is your reverse image. You may have to trace on the other side to see it well enough. Does that make sense?

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 2:23pm
post #24 of 29

besides the one that is in the tutorial, are there other coloring book sites online? This is my salvation as I cannot freehand! LOL I have a scanner too, so if there are places or recommended coloring books, I can buy those too.

Melissa

daisygurlvb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisygurlvb Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 2:35pm
post #25 of 29

You can also go to Google.com and search for images.

Also, if you have Print shop, you when you go to print there's an option to "print coloring book" which prints just the outline.

I personally have also used a picture that was already in color, didn't make a difference.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 2:41pm
post #26 of 29

That's very true. I should know better as that's how I've found clip art for making posters/signs for work before too! LOL

Can't wait to try this for myself! Have to wait until the new fridge is delivered tomorrow though! icon_sad.gif

LittleBigMomma Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 8:49pm
post #27 of 29

You don't have to reverse the image if there's not any writing involved or if the picture is usable in either direction. Does that make sense? For example the Alabama cake (see my photos) contained the words, "Alabama, Crimson Tide", the image had to be reversed in order for the words to be right. On the other hand, if it's just a picture, say a football, it will work without being reversed.

Hope this makes sense and is helpful.

susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 12:00am
post #28 of 29

Great instructions, sounds easy, hope it is as easy as it sounds.

busymom9501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9501 Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 4:21am
post #29 of 29

My printer doesn't give me the option of flipping my image. SO, after I print I just trace it onto a piece of wax paper and flip the wax paper over. It works awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%