September 23Rd Wedding Delima

Decorating By Chezerai Updated 14 Sep 2006 , 2:45am by Chezerai

Chezerai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chezerai Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 30

Hi everyone-
Its Chez from SC I just wanted to ask you great people a question. A bride called me sometime in June and asked me about a cake for her wedding to be on Sept. 23rd. Well she has not called me back since then. She called from work and as much as I hate to do this, I called her back the other day at work and they said she quit. So her daughter goes to the same school as myself so I asked her did your mom get someone else to do the cakes, no luck, she was just as lost as she looked. lol But anyway one of my friends is in the wedding and says its still planned so my position is: Do I send her a nice letter with my business card via her daughter? Im really thinking that she lost my number because she wanted to come by and taste the cake and I gave her a really cheap price. I told her $250 for a 7-tier cake for 250 people. She also wanted to know could I do sugar bells, I told her no but I now see a place where I can purchase them online so what do I do? Come on cake central folks help me out. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Chezerai icon_biggrin.gif

29 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:17pm
post #2 of 30

A 7 tier cake due in less than 2 weeks for $250??? I say forget it! It was nice of you to offer in the first place, but let's face it, if she really wanted to take you up on the offer she would have found a way of contacting you long before now. Not worth the stress hun, just my 2cts!

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:18pm
post #3 of 30

I have no idea what you should do lol but I must say that comes to $1. a person wow are you even going to make a profit? 7 tiers? Yikes thats a lot of work for so little money.

nanni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanni Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 30

I think if she contacts you after all this time and still wants the cake you SHOULD CHARGE her more-you could have been doing things all along instead of the last minute. I agree that if she truly had decided on a decorator-she would have found a way to find you. I am sure I would have discussed or mentioned it to my daughter that I was trying to find someone and disappointed that I couldn't just in general conversation before now-if she had her daughter wouldn't have not realized what you were talking about...but I certainly wouldn't be giving my time and efforts away at this point so late in the game! But like the others said=-just my opinion.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 4:33am
post #5 of 30

I think it would have been perfectly fine anytime up until a month before the wedding to get back to her. But she has to have made arrangements by now with someone. I think at this point the question would seem to her more of a complaint as to why she didn't contract with you since you know her daughter, etc.

She's crazy to have passed up the offer of such a great rate, but people make decisions for lots of different reasons. Next time, follow up a heck of a lot sooner. You don't want a bride that doesn't nail down the details and make payments in a reasonable amount of time anyway. You don't want to be the one she goes to out of sheer desperation.

luv2giggls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2giggls Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 4:44am
post #6 of 30

Although you are offering her a great price!!! Even if she did want you to do the cake, she doesn't sound like she is the most reliable person. If you do the cake, I would be sure to have it paid in full and make sure she knows there would be no refunds at this point.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 4:51am
post #7 of 30

She never got back to you and she could have at any time through your friend or your daughters? You don't have a sale.

Viks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Viks Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 4:56am
post #8 of 30

I just had a similar thing happen, a bride who said she was going with me and then just never called back. I kinda know her through work & soccer, so I figured she meant it! I guess brides don't think to let the cake decorator know that they're choosing someone else. It would have been nice to know, because I booked the weekend off work 6 weeks ago when she called and told me she wanted me to make her wedding cake! icon_rolleyes.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 5:10am
post #9 of 30

I would say forget about it. If she contacts you within the next few days, tell her that her failure to contact you has caused her to lose her slot in your schedule, and it has already been filled by someone else. The someone else will be you -- go get a pedicure or a massage, and forget about it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 1:52pm
post #10 of 30

I would say forget it too.........unless you REALLY want to do the cake!! Sometimes I get so excited about the experience I just make em for free! Anyhow, if you really want to do the cake, I suggest you send her a nice letter telling her that if she planned to reserve you for the date, that she needs to have payment in full by such and such a date!!! If you don't hear from her then, you know she got someone else. I think sometimes (speaking from experience) brides get so caught up in planning everything and sometimes wires get crossed and they think other people took care of things and nobody has addressed them, I would hate to see someone you know have a wedding with no cake!!!

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 4:47pm
post #11 of 30

Is she under the impression you are doing the cake for her still? She may be sitting there thinking its all taken care of..she'd be in for a shock on her wedding day when no cake arrived! Some people are flaky like that..
Good luck..
Cindy

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 6:11pm
post #12 of 30

I totally would not get back to her, unless it was to mention that the time has now expired to reserve your services. $250 is nowhere near enough for a seven-tier cake, girl, that's going to cost you money, and you don't want that! You have less than two weeks at this point, and sugar bells? More money there........ I would so drop this one like a hot potato!

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 6:31pm
post #13 of 30

I usually look at it as no answer is your answer (although there are times when there are exceptions). Of course, you don't want to seem uncaring (maybe something terrible hapened to her and she is in the hospital or something - - one NEVER knows). But I think unless something is drastically wrong, she probably would have called you herself or at least had her daughter or someone else call for her (if the wedding is still on and she still wants the cake from you). If she doesn't call you, she certainly can't expect that you would know what kind of cake she wants (or could she?) icon_lol.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 6:51pm
post #14 of 30

I am sorry if I offend anyone by saying this, but it is my opinion, and I truly feel the need to express it - I disagree with those who are saying, "unless you really want to do it."

There isn't a cake in this world that I want to do so badly that I would put up with what you are going through, whether it's paid Or for family. You are already stressed out enough over it to vent to us, and although we are more than willing to listen and sympathize, by taking on this last minute job, you are only going to add to your stress.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 12:19am
post #15 of 30

***Moderator Edited***

A lot of people, especially women, have a hard time telling someone No. In general unless you have a solid yes with cash exchanged, you can assume that "I'll get back to you" or "Very nice, I'll call you next week to work out the details" or anything along those lines means No. It certainly doesn't mean Yes. (Really, do you think the reception hall pencilled her in after she visited and said nice things? Or after she delivered a signed contract and some cash?)

Chezerai Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 1:34am
post #16 of 30

thanks everyone I will just leave it alone. Dont really feel like doing a wedding cake anyways, thats the day before my birthday I even ordered my cake from another decorator that lives down the road from me...lol shame on me but hay sometimes i just get sick of baking cakes. Thank God for the gift but its like...uhhhhhh. Again thanks for the advice. She better not call the week of the wedding or something like that...I wish Chezerai might. icon_lol.gif

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 1:41am
post #17 of 30

Just way too cheap of a price to charge.

Molliebird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molliebird Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 1:44am
post #18 of 30

I wouldn't call her either. I have had people where I work ask me if I can do a cake for birthday or something other (haven't done any wedding cakes yet) for such and such date, then I never hear from them. If I don't hear from them a week in advance, I don't approach them and just let it go. I'm not in the business of chasing people down. If I lose an order from them, so be it. I would rather not lose an order from someone who I know has confirmed definitely that they want a cake because of people who cannot commit in time. There is one particular person where I work who has asked me for three different cakes and has not ordered one yet. I've secretly crossed her name off my list for any further cakes. I just don't trust her to follow through.

german Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
german Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 1:57am
post #19 of 30

I just don't get it 250 people and $250.

Chezerai Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 2:04am
post #20 of 30

its the going rate in my rural sc county. sorry if you think its too cheap but I have to go with the flow.

cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 2:07am
post #21 of 30

AMEN Molliebird, i totally agree with you. I wouldnt chase down any body for an order. And I don't discount anything anymore, I charge what I charge. All orders are not good orders anyways.

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 3:25pm
post #22 of 30

Well I am glad you are going to leave it alone. As someone said earlier no answer is the answer.

I also think that price is way to cheap. A dollar a person for a WEDDING cake. WOW.

Chezerai Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 5:33pm
post #23 of 30

thanks for your imput everyone. like i said i have to go with the flow to get the dough. also i am just in high school dont really have any bills and i know someone thats goes to my church told me to charge .95 a serving. So I went up a little. My price list actually says $1.50 but I cut it down being that I know this lady.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 5:52pm
post #24 of 30

I can feel your pain Chez -- I am in a semi-rural town in NC and I know of three ladies who all do wedding cakes for $1/serving - and sometimes less icon_surprised.gif !!!!

Stick with it and prove yourself to the right people. It has taken me five years, but I have donated to all kinds of functions, parties, fundraisers, etc., to get my name circulated with the people who are willing to pay what our cakes are worth and it is paying off now!

Good luck to you!

Chezerai Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 5:25pm
post #25 of 30

thanks southern cakes...someone out there understands.

Viks Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 6:02pm
post #26 of 30

Prices are very cheap in small towns all over! I've just upped my prices to $2/serving, but can't bring myself to charge my regular customers that much icon_redface.gif I was $1/serving for the last year!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 7:05pm
post #27 of 30

Chezerai,

What would Colette Peters do in this situation.

Now pretend you are Colette Peters!

good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 7:24pm
post #28 of 30

Pricing of cakes is certainly a geographic thing. Most of us would not get anyway close to what they pay in New York or another big city. Everyone has different prices according to their local area.
Judy

Viks Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 7:32pm
post #29 of 30

Also depends on the competition. Where I live the only other place that does cakes is the grocery store. People have a hard time making themselves pay double for a cool cake from me than what they would pay for a basic slab at the grocery store icon_sad.gif

Chezerai Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 2:45am
post #30 of 30

I agree with everthing that has been stated. I have lots of competition though thats what I dont get about being in a small town. I know about 10 people in my county that does cakes not including the 2 grocery stores that do them. Most of the people mostly only do it on the side but one of them is trying to build a cake shop and I am praying that God leads me to a building before she gets hers(hate to say that but I want it). I mean home girl thinks she has Hampton County on lock with cakes, and I'm thinking, oh no the Devil is a liar. ol icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%