Outline For Bct Question

Decorating By mohara Updated 29 Jun 2005 , 6:46pm by Joshsmom

mohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mohara Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 8

HI.
Maybe this is a dumb question, but I just don't know what to use to outline my BCT's with. If you are using regular buttercream for the transfer (not chocolate), do you tint some black for your outline or do you make another small batch of chocolate BC and tint it black just for outlining. Do you use store bought chocolate to tint black and hope it doesn't stick?

Last time I used the black Wilton out of the tube and it worked fine, but I thought the outline was a little thin and moved easily when I was filling the inside of the transfer. I wanted to avoid this for my next transfer - Hello Kitty. Should I try freezing the outline for a few moments and then filling? I'm afraid it might soften up again fairly quickly though...

Please share your outlining tips.
Thanks.

7 replies
mohara Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 8

I just wanted to bring this back up to the top.
Thanks.

mrsrunning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsrunning Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 8

alot of people use store bought chocolate frosting for the outline and tint it black. I know you want to use a stiff frosting so cheap store bought frosting. When i did a FBCT I frose my outline for a few minutes and then did my inside

mohara Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for your thoughts!
So you think a generic store brand would be pretty stiff? I know they say not to use regular canned frosting because that sticks. Maybe if the generic brand doesn't seem stiff enough, I'll add a little more confectioners sugar to it. Its only the outline if it seems too sweet...

mrsrunning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsrunning Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 8

i used the wilton in the tube it did not stick here is a tutorial on how to do FBCT http://www.cakecentral.com/article12-How-To-Create-a-Frozen-Buttercream-Transfer.html

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 8

I use the wilton tube too and worked great for me

Beebug123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beebug123 Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 9:08pm
post #7 of 8

I glad you asked this question for me! I'm gonna try my first BCT today. I read the directions but its great to get feedback to see what everyone esle does...

Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 6:46pm
post #8 of 8

I use my grocers brand (Farmer Jack) fudge frosting and tint it black, works great, not too thick ot too thin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%