Add Extra Eggs To Cake Mix??????

Decorating By CakesUnleashed Updated 30 Jan 2017 , 8:51pm by Lucky007

CakesUnleashed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesUnleashed Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 10

I thought I read here, somewhere, that you can add extra eggs to your cake mixes in order to get a firmer cake. Is that true? Does it actually work? Do you add the whole egg or just the egg whites? How many extra do you add?

I will be baking within a couple of hours and I was wanting to know before I began. I am using a Vanilla cake mix.

Thanks for all your help!!!

9 replies
cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 10

I always add and extra egg to my cake mixes. If it calles for a whole egg I add a whole egg, if it just asks for egg whites, I add an extra egg white.

So if a pan takes two mixes, I would be adding two extra eggs, etc.

I also add instant jello pudding to each of my cake mixes, whatever flavor compliments the flavor of cake - chocolate- ie: chocolate, white - ie: white chocolate, carrot - ie: cheesecake.

This does help make a firmer cake and moister. I think just plain cake mixes are dry.

CakesUnleashed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesUnleashed Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 10

I thought that the pudding mix would make it more moist and too soft to cut and shape??

Elfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elfie Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 10

I don't get the whole pudding mix thing. When adding pudding mix to the cake mix how does it make it moister? You are adding dry ingrediants and not increasing the liquids other then by 1 egg. I can see how this would change the grain of the cake and the flavor, but how does it change the moistness? I understand how it would preserve the moistness in a cake for a longer period of time, but how does it increase that moisture?

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 2:23am
post #5 of 10

Don't really understand how it works either. But I just know it does. But when I say moist - it's not dripping moist.

Just know that when two cakes are side by side and one is made with pudding mix and one is not - the one with the pudding mix gets raves and the other one is oh-hum.

CrystalsCakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrystalsCakes5 Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 10

Bump

Also does anyone know of a site that gives cooking tips like adding an extra egg or adding the pudding, so on and so on. And tells you what the adding extra things will do.

Thanks

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 4:01pm
post #7 of 10

Have you ever seen the Cake Mix Doctor books? She has a web site that has some recipes and helpful tips, etc.

www.cakemixdoctor.com

lilie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilie Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 4:08pm
post #8 of 10

I think that by adding pudding to the mix adds more body and makes the cake more crumb free. I add them all the time and I get a great cake all the time. I add an extra egg to my lighter cakes.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 11:43pm
post #9 of 10

I accidentally put an extra egg in a cake mix one time...realized it as I was throwing the shells away, lol!

It was a much firmer cake!

I know this response is too late, but let us know how it turned out and what you did. Hope it went well.

Lucky007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lucky007 Posted 30 Jan 2017 , 8:51pm
post #10 of 10

When making a box cake instead of oil use butter so if it says 1/3 cup of oil melt 1/3 cup of butter, in place of using one cup of water use one cup of milk and add an extra egg to make it firmer switching out the other other ingredients adds moisture as well and also add a teaspoon of vanilla in the batter. Let me know what you guys think. I do this all the time and it gives it that store bakery taste. Also you can tweak the frosting a bit to give it a butter cream texture by adding powdered sugar to taste and a teaspoon of vanilla.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%