My First Tiered Wedding Cake...help!

Decorating By sls0812 Updated 29 Jun 2005 , 2:23pm by Mchelle

sls0812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sls0812 Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 14

I am doing a 3 tier wedding cake. They will be square and each will be stacked a little offset. I understand how to do the dowel rods, but my question is, when you set the middle tier on top of the bottom tier, does the cake board actually touch the bottom tier, or are the dowel rods sticking out a little. My issue, is if they are touching, then it will mess up the icing on the bottom tier, and the people who get those pieces won't have icing on the top of their cake. I am totally confused with how to do this. Also, It will serve about 150 people, but the top tier will be for the bride and grrom, so what size pans should I use?
Hope this isn't to confusing. Thanks!

13 replies
sls0812 Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 14

PS - She wants them to be like this, but 3 tiers instead of 4.
Thanks!
LL

eve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 14

They don't have to touch, but you can make it look like they are touching by making sure your borders are touching both layers. Leave a space of 1/2 inch in between. Precise measurements is all it takes. good luck..show us a photo when it's done..I'm sure you'll do good

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 14

Thats one of the reasons i hate it when someone doesnt want borders..lol

sls0812 Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 14

So, when they don't want borders, they have to sit right on top of each other, right?
So does that mean the cake underneath's icing gets messed up?

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 14

Before adding the tier, sprinkle some confectioner sugar or cornstarch on the spot where the tier will sit. I used this method and the icing didn't stick.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 12:02am
post #7 of 14

It's just a whole lot easier if you can put borders.. you can hide your boards or any slight imperfections near the base of your tiers a whole lot easier w/borders icon_smile.gif

nernan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nernan Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 12:07am
post #8 of 14

I was wondering that too, thanks for asking the question sls.

sls0812 Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 1:11am
post #9 of 14

Stephanie214 - You still use cakeboards with this method, right?

Thanks,
Stephanie

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 1:34pm
post #10 of 14

I am not sure what is meant by, "They don't have to touch". If that means that if you use the hidden pillars and there is space between the boarded cakes and these pillars that act like dowels, then that is correct. But if you are using regular dowels, the dowels are in the cake at the icing level or slightly below, but never, ever slightly above. They wouldn't be stable that way.
Yes, you use icing sugar or cornstarch, some folks use cocount or even cookie crumbs on tops of the bottom layers that will have a cake on top of them. You have to let your icing set up first, before putting the upper layers on top. At least 1/2 hour and once the icing is set or crusted, you sprinkle on your powdered sugar and put the next cake on top.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 1:42pm
post #11 of 14

THANKS SQUIRRELLY CAKES I DIDN'T KNOW THAT EITHER ABOUT THE POWDERED SUGAR ON TOP OF THE CAKE INORDER TO STACK!

kalikw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kalikw Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 6:36am
post #12 of 14

You can also use sanding sugar the same color as the cake or clear, to keep the icing from coming off the cake between layers.

DrKatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DrKatie Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 1:01pm
post #13 of 14

I have a question about using the icing sugar between stacked layers. I've only made a couple of stacked cakes - the first time I forgot the icing sugar and the cake transported well, but the second time when I used the icing sugar, the top tier shifted in transport. Both times they were two tiers with a central dowel. Now I am afraid to use the icing sugar again. Was it just coincidence?

Katie

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 2:23pm
post #14 of 14

You can also try a parchment circle same size as the board you are putting it under add a couple dabs of icing to "glue"down the circle and then put the next layer on. It won't pull up your icing and it also keeps the grease away from your board

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%