Fondant Over Chocolate Icing?

Baking By amysue99 Updated 18 Jul 2007 , 6:19pm by melysa

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 12

Will this work or will it bleed through. The fondant will be ivory or pale yellow. Alternately, what kind of frosting will taste good on a chocolate cake? I'm not a big fan of regular buttercream on chocolate cake.

11 replies
amysue99 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 12

No opinions?!! Or expert advice??!!

amysue99 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 12

Okay guys, everybody is up now. No excuses. I know that there are some people out there with knowledge and opinions! Please help!!! icon_cry.gif

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 12

I personally have never tried it, but I have read lots of posts where other CCers say that they often cover chocolate icing with white fondant and have no problem!!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 12

Sorry I can't help, I have wondered about this myself. I use an all butter BC for chocolate, I think it may work with crisco BC because it is more firm and stable.

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 12

what about a cream cheese frosting...personally i love cream cheese frosting and chocolate cake. or maybe a coffee icing, seeing how coffe compliments chocolate? hth

chris

Brendansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendansmum Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 3:51pm
post #7 of 12

I have no experience with trying to cover a chocolate cake with white fondant. I've used chocolate fondant to cover a chocolate cake thought{no help I know}. I would think that it might bleed through unless maybe you are using a store bought fondant, not sure though. You could make a white chocolate buttercream instead of brown chocolate. I really like rich's bettercream on chocolate cake but that might not work either. Sorry!! Here's a bump at least.

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 3:55pm
post #8 of 12

My son's christening cake was frosted in chocolate buttercream and covered in white fondant (sorry, no pics, they were all washed out by the light), but the frosting did not bleed through the fondant.
HTH

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 4:01pm
post #9 of 12

I have covered chocolate BC with white or pale fondant without a problem. I didn't roll it quite as thin as I normally would...just in case.

amysue99 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 6:14pm
post #10 of 12

THANK YOU ALL!!!! thumbs_up.gif

amysue99 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 6:16pm
post #11 of 12

THANK YOU ALL!!! thumbs_up.gif

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 6:19pm
post #12 of 12

dont roll it super thin and it shouldnt be an issue. if for some reason, you rolled it too thin and it seems transparent, LIGHTLY spritz the surface of the fondant covered cake and place another thin layer of fondant on top.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%