Fondant Rant !! A Must Read

Decorating By darcat Updated 1 Aug 2007 , 3:51pm by hlaw97

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 39

I once tried making mmf and hated every aspect of it from the messy marshmallow melting process to the horrible end result so one day while browsing on the canadian cake site I came across this article.

http://www.cakescanada.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=63&p=282&hilit=rant+fondant+mmf#p282

( Just scroll down to the "paul's rant"

I was so impressed by what he said and how it all made sense that I tried the Toba's recipe and I swear it will be the only fondant I ever use again. I used it on my small pink cake as well as my hot tub cake. I store it in plastic wrap in a freezer baggie in the fridge and it kept for weeks and was just as easy to use each time as the first. I hope this article helps someone who also has trouble with mmf or hates wilton's taste or cant get the store bought ones.

38 replies
JenWith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWith Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 39

Excellent rant! Now I want to try my hand at "scratch" fondant since my MMF bombed!

Thank you for passing this along!

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 3:24pm
post #3 of 39

Thanks for sharing this. icon_smile.gif

darcat Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 39

Your very welcome and I hope it works as well for you as it did for me.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 3:54pm
post #5 of 39

I've been using Michelle Fosters Fondant recipe from here, and will never go back to mmf. Real homemade fondant isn't hard to make, and mmf was driving me nuts with little pock marks!

darcat Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 39

lol Jen I hear ya. I always keep about a sandwich bag size full of white fondant in the my freezer just to have on hand for small decorations or cookies, it inspires me to be more creative knowing I dont have to make a batch, and that I can just add whatever color I need for what ever project I'm working on.

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 7:10pm
post #7 of 39

Thanks for posting that, darcat, it has inspired me to try making my own fondant & covering a cake with it for the first time. Up to now, I have only used store bought fondant to make accesories for cakes, like the bees on my beehive cake. I've always been too intimidated to try actually covering a cake in it. But now I will try!!!

Shelle
thumbs_up.gif

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 10:33pm
post #8 of 39

I actually made Toba's fondant a couple of days ago in order to make baby booties for a baby shower cake.

It was very easy and to me easier than MMF, only because I did not have to deal with cleaning up marshmallow residue.

I am not sure what the texture is supposed to be, because I have not worked with fondant much, but none the less easy to make.

mami2sweeties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mami2sweeties Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 11:12pm
post #9 of 39

Glad I found this. I made mmf and covered a cake with it and by the time we ate the cake with bc/fondant/cake and all it was SWEET! Whoah. I just don't see how anyone can eat this. It was my first fondant covered cake and it was ok but fondant cakes are so pretty and smooth. I really wanted to try this. Now, I am going to try this fondant and hope for the best.

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 11:14pm
post #10 of 39

I made Toba's fondant for the first time last night. It was easy to do, but I sure did make a mess icon_biggrin.gif PS all over the counter...it was funny. It doesn't taste bad either. Is there anyone out there that can tell me what one batch will cover?? How many batches (about) do you need for say a 14" or a 10" or an 8"??? I haven't used fondant and really don't know how much to make for covering a cake. Did you use ALL the PS when you made it?? Did you cover your counter and hands with the crisco ahead of time?? How did you keep it from sticking to everything?? I really want to know how to do this!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 11:21pm
post #11 of 39

When I made it, it dried very quickly but was also very sticky. Had a lot of cracking happening as well.

Maybe some of the fondant gurus can give us a few tips, and what the texture is like.

TIA

Hoover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hoover Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 11:29pm
post #12 of 39

Thanks for the link. I am getting ready to try my hand at fondant for some cupcakes for a baby shower and was looking for fondant recipes.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 11:38pm
post #13 of 39

For the stickyness you can need in a little cornstarch. Have you tried making it in the mixer with the dough attachment? It works really well. Also, make sure you let it rest for atleast 8 hrs before you try working with it.
Make sure you knead it well before you cover it and if you get any cracks you can use some crisco on it.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 11:39pm
post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by havingfun

... Is there anyone out there that can tell me what one batch will cover?? How many batches (about) do you need for say a 14" or a 10" or an 8"???...

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/makecake/fondant/fondantamounts.cfm

frostingfanatic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frostingfanatic Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 11:45pm
post #15 of 39

That is what I use and LOVE IT!!! I never got mmf to work. I do a double batch and make it in my stand mixer. I put half the ps in and the liquids mix until it is thick but still pourable. I scrape the bowl on to my vinyl mat that I have covered with the other part of the ps. I put more on top so it is not all sticky and start kneading. I knead it until it doesn't move it I push my finger in it. It should not be sticky when you are done. Add more or less PS depending on what yours looks like.

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 11:50pm
post #16 of 39

I have used Toba's recipe for a while now and I love the taste of it! The only thing I have trouble with is that it is very hard to use right away. Sometimes I need a batch right away and have to make it and it is too stretchy. It definately needs time to rest!

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 11:54pm
post #17 of 39

Has anyone ever tried anything other than vanilla or almond extract to flavor their fondant? I keep hearing about this creme bouquet flavoring, has anyone ever used that in fondant?

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 11:56pm
post #18 of 39

Toba's recipe is very similar to the well worn and tried Daisy's Fondant. Other than the popcorn salt which I always omitted anyway.
http://www.ladycakes.com/toppage3.htm

darcat Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 1:34am
post #19 of 39

This recipe is good without the glycerine as that makes it more stretchy so I didnt use it. As for rolling it I did it between waxed paper that was sprinkled with corn starch as I found the powered sugar made it sweeter. I let mine rest overnight but only because I didnt need it right away so I dont really know how it would act if you tried rolling it right away. I imagine you can flavour it with anyting you want I also found it very easy to color and I did everyting by hand because I dont have a stand mixer altho I have to say that I make my own breads and pizza dough so I'm used to kneeding and quite enjoy it (lol I know call me strange but I just let my drift and dont realize how tedious it is) it's actually quite theraputic sometimes I listen to my mp3 player while kneeding and it passes the time.

baka4lyfe20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baka4lyfe20 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 3:47am
post #20 of 39

OMG! I read that before and was about to make a forum post over MMF v RF today!! Wow

baka4lyfe20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baka4lyfe20 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 3:56am
post #21 of 39

The things I've seen done with RF look better than things I've made with MMF. Maybe inexperience? Especially decorations like on my summer cake. They seem too greasy or something? Maybe I'm not doing it right, but whatever.

Erika513x2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erika513x2 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 4:19am
post #22 of 39

wow he's like the fondant scientist. personally i've never made mmf b/c toba's fondant has worked well for me except when it comes to making it a strong color.

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 4:24am
post #23 of 39

I kept getting pox holes in my MMF so I very recently switched over to Colette Peter's recipe, which is near identical to Toba Garrett's (Colette's uses 1/2 tsp more glycerine). I love it! It is also not as sweet as MMF, and rolls out beautifully. I am curious to try Daisy's Fondant recipe that ShirleyW suggested.

SueB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueB Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 2:40pm
post #24 of 39

This discussion came at a great time! I was just going to try my hand at making fondant. I was going to try MMF but I noticed on some of the pictures I have seen the MMF covered cakes had marks or bubble-like spots on them. I happen to have all the ingredients in the cupboard for this rolled fondant recipe so guess what I am going to do this afternoon? Wish me luck!

darcat Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 3:27pm
post #25 of 39

lol Sueb good luck with it I know I love working with fondant although I havnt had a reason to do many cakes lately I'm anxious to try some new ideas just waiting for an excuse lol

cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 5:25pm
post #26 of 39

? Why is it called Toba's or Collette's fondant, when it's the same rolled fondant recipe in the Wilton book?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 4:57am
post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

Toba's recipe is very similar to the well worn and tried Daisy's Fondant. Other than the popcorn salt which I always omitted anyway.
http://www.ladycakes.com/toppage3.htm

Shirley, what is the soonest you have used this recipe or do you always wait the 24 hours? I kinda need it before 24 hours. I'm soooo bad that I have waited until last minute.

crimsonhair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimsonhair Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:35am
post #28 of 39

I've never tried any other fondant except MMF so I don't really know what the others taste like or how they are to work with. I find it so easy to make the MMF and love the way it tastes and how easy it is to work with . I don't use my kitchen aid for it I just make it by hand .
Liz

darcat Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 11:01am
post #29 of 39

cromsonhair I also make it by hand as I dont have a stand mixer but I liked the tobas because it has the same ingredients as are used to make marshmallows but saves the mess of melting them and it takes the same amount of time.

Susan123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susan123 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 11:53am
post #30 of 39

After making Toba's fondant, should it rest for 24 hours on the counter or in the refrigerator?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%