How Far Ahead Do You Bake?

Decorating By njcake Updated 9 Sep 2006 , 2:37am by boonenati

njcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
njcake Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 2:17am
post #1 of 5

Hi,

I am extremely new here but am loving this site!! I am new decorating too and am wondering how far ahead I should bake the cake? I actually made a cake for my daughter's birthday and someone asked me to do one for their nephew's party. It is next Tuesday - I want to make the cake before Monday night but I'm not sure if it will be fresh tasting if I do it too far ahead? Any tips? Thanks!

4 replies
Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 2:22am
post #2 of 5

I always bake and freeze ahead of time. If it is wrapped correctly, it will taste just as good as when you first baked it. I sometimes bake up to two weeks ahead of time.

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 2:25am
post #3 of 5

I like to bake one day and decorate the next. That way the cake is sure to be cool and ready for icing. I'm also fresh to have fun and be creative.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 2:30am
post #4 of 5

I bake 2 days before. I have a cake due on Sunday evening so I just finished baking my cakes tonight. I double wrap them as soon as they come out of the pans and refrigerate. I'll start decorating tommorrow. They always come out moist and delicious!
Jacqui

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 2:37am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by njcake

Hi,

I am extremely new here but am loving this site!! I am new decorating too and am wondering how far ahead I should bake the cake? I actually made a cake for my daughter's birthday and someone asked me to do one for their nephew's party. It is next Tuesday - I want to make the cake before Monday night but I'm not sure if it will be fresh tasting if I do it too far ahead? Any tips? Thanks!

I also bake and freeze, sometimes i make the cake a few days ahead only. It really depends on your recipe. I wouldnt go experimenting on customers though, i experimented on family first, and found out which recipes froze best and for how long.
Some cakes, like buttercakes with a high fat content, stay fresh for days without freezing. If you're making a sponge, then you may have trouble with drying out.
cheers
Nati

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%