No Instructions With 3D Teddy Bear!!! Yikes!!!

Decorating By cakesbyamym Updated 10 Sep 2006 , 9:54pm by lisascakes

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 11:12pm
post #1 of 11

Folks, I am in desperate need of help with this one. I have a baby shower cake for this weekend, that I wanted to start on tonight since it's my first go at the 3D bear. Well, I open up the box, and NO instructions. I'm assuming (for those of you that have this pan) that the little clips are to hold the pans together...the core goes in the center, greased, floured and 1/2 filled with batter. Does the pan stand upside down? Any help will be appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Amy

10 replies
lisascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisascakes Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 11

Hi Amy,

I have baked the 3-d bear cake dozens of time of the years. I always use BC choc. I don't not add anything to the mix, I don't use the heating core. I fill to just where the bottom paws start. It will rise to fill the rest. I bake @ 325 until done. I will use a wooden kabob to test for doneness. I also put a cookie sheet under the bear just in case to catch any over flow. After he is done I will wait for about 5 minutes then release the clamps and carefully remove the front pan. I will let him lay on his back for about 5 minutes & then replace the front and turn him over. Removing the back pan and let him cool completly this way. Most of the time I will leave it over night like this. In the morning I cut the bottom flat put him on a cardboard and decorate. Doing it this way works every time. This is the same way my mom made the bear and she decorated cakes for over 30 years before she passed away 8 years ago. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

cakesbyamym Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 11

Lisa,

Thank you so much!!! I may be posting again soon with more questions. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

One side note, just wanted to pass along my condolences for the loss of your mom. Even though it was 8 years ago. I lost my dad (soon to be 20 years in Feb.) two weeks after his 40th bd to a bone marrow transplant.
Just wanted to acknowledge your loss. :`(

Thanks again,
Amy

lisascakes Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks Amy.,

It always saddens me to hear of someone else's loss - there is nothing like the loss of a parent. I am sorry about your dad. Time does soften the edges of the hole but it never goes away.

cakesbyamym Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 11

Hey Lisa,

I just wanted to thank you again for the desperately needed help with my 3D bear cake last night. I am posting a final picture of the completed bear in my pictures. It's not perfect, but for my first try, I was really pleased. My customer didn't want ANY fondant, so the accents were tricky, and certainly not "ideal", but she seemed pleased. Thanks again!!!

Amy

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 11

AMY- Completely OT--but I wanted to say that I love your weight loss stats---

Can I ask what are you doing to lose weight?

cakesbyamym Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 8:56pm
post #7 of 11

TY so much! icon_lol.gif I am on a medically supervised diet that consists of consuming 600-800 calories daily...yep, that's it. icon_surprised.gif I'm also taking two, weekly injections and taking phentermine, an appetite suppressant...that ROCKS!!! Thanks again!!! I'm pretty proud of myself. I made my first trip back to the salon (beside the job that I quit about 4 weeks ago), and my beautician had a fit over the amount that I've lost. Does me good to hear those compliments. Really encourages me to keep on keepin' on.

Amy

justfrosting Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 9:06pm
post #8 of 11

OMGosh! Please let me know if I become too intrusive but I have questions.

Only 6 - 800 calories? What about the ideas that your body goes into starvation mode and will not let you loose weight? What do you eat during the day?

Is phentermine OTC? What kind of doctor are you seeing and what are the injections for???

Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you do not want to post. I am looking for anything to inspire me at this point? I am completely lost icon_cry.gificon_redface.gif

cakesbyamym Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 10:10pm
post #9 of 11

No problem. I don't mind answering your questions. icon_lol.gif About the calories...600-800 calories are consumed for two weeks, and on the third, you can eat 1000-1200 calories; although, it's all that I can do to get 600 in. Your body is still taking in lots of water, and high protein foods, so the starvation mode doesn't even come in to play. On an average day, take today for example. I had a 100 calorie pack of Keebler Fudge Stripes cookies with my water and a 1/2 phentermine for breakfast. I had lunch around 2:30, and that was a 6" oven roasted chicken breast on wheat from Subway. I added on 2 T. lite mayo. That took my lunch total to 285 calories. So, as of right now, at 6:19pm, I've consumed 385 calories. Honestly, the phentermine*K*I*L*L*S* your appetite, and if you get your water in correctly, you don't get hungry very often. Nights are my hardest times, so I take the other whole phentermine when I get off from work around 2pm. That usually curbs my cravings. The phentermine is not OTC. It's doctor prescribed. The program is medically supervised with frequent doctor appointments, and one-on-ones with a PA for reviewing of your daily journal, questions, checkup, etc. The injections are actually HcG injections that burn fat. This is a pregnancy hormone, but given in VERY low doses. I give them to myself twice a week.

If you have any more questions, feel free to post here, or email me at [email protected] Good luck!!!

Amy icon_lol.gif

justfrosting Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:04am
post #10 of 11

That is amazing! I have tried just about everything and nothing seems to work.

What do you think contributed most to your weight loss? Was it the calorie limit or the med's?

Are there any health risks with the medications?

What kind of doctor are you going to? Is it someone special or just a general prac?

Congrats on your WL. My DH would love it to be me.

lisascakes Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 9:54pm
post #11 of 11

HI Amy,

I just saw the picture of the wonderful teddy bear. You did a GREAT job for your first one.

Congratulations on the weight loss. I wish I could find a doctor that would help me like that. Keep up the wonderful work on the weight loss & great cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%