Fundraising Sales Put On By The City? Legalities?

Decorating By czyadgrl Updated 17 Jul 2007 , 2:21pm by birdgirl

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 4:12am
post #1 of 4

I just got wind of a sort of "flea market" type sale that will be put on to raise money for the parks in my city (dog park actually). Officially, it may be being put on by a parks committe (volunteers, not city employees). They're selling table space for people to bring their items for sale. The fees for the tables are going to the park. I believe that people who buy table space will be keeping the money from whatever they sell, it's not automatically money raised for the park.

SO. Since I have the baking bug, but am not licensed to actually sell cakes, BUT would love to help raise money for this park ....
If I were to purchase table space, bake up a bunch of goodies with the sole intention of donating all of the sales to the park, do I need to be licensed?

I will end up contacting the city once I know the date and other details to be sure, but wanted to hear if anyone else has done anything like this?

I feel this is falling into a seriously grey area. Fundraiser bake sale ... no license required. Put on by the city ...????? I'm not required to donate the funds back .... Paying for table space ... I don't know. Is it even worth asking the city or is this definetly out of the question without being licensed?

As a side, I would like to bake up some home-made dog treats to fit the theme... does anyone know if you need to be licensed to do things like that?

I'm in MI.

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 5:29am
post #2 of 4

For dog treats, no food license is required. you probably will want to put ingredient labels on the bags. Dogs have allergens, too.

As for home baked goods, you should check with the people renting the tables. My guess is, YES, you need to work in a licensed kitchen in order to sell to the public.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 5:37am
post #3 of 4

You can get into lots of trouble doing that. If a bakery or resturant owner (or another decorator!)sees your table they can report you to the health dept icon_sad.gif It could happen right then and there or weeks down the road.
Now usually they will give you a warning for the 1st time but that doesn't mean they could not throw the book at you right then & there eithericon_sad.gif
As was mentioned, dog treats would be possible but I wouldn't do any 'people' food. Sorry.

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 4

I would ask the state you live in to find out if you can legally make anything. Fundraisers allowed usually involve schools and churches. They may allow you to participate if you make a sign to say you are not licensed. It all depends on the state you live in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%