Swiss Or Italian Meringue Buttercream?

Decorating By CarolAnn Updated 17 Oct 2006 , 3:32am by andrea7

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 10

I made cupackes with the enhanced white cake recipe. I want to try one of the meringue buttercreams now. Which do you favor and why? Swiss or Italian? Thanks!

9 replies
sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 10

I prefer the swiss method for 2 reasons:

1) it's easier
2) I have more experience with it!

I have never iced cupcakes with it though- I'll be interested to know what you think!

Amber

jess9333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess9333 Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 10

Personally, I prefer the Italien method. It is slightly more stable, but it is a bit more difficult to make. Honestly though, I think they taste identical.

flourgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourgrl Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 3:10am
post #4 of 10

I'm with Amber, I make Swiss Meringue, easier to make and I've used it from cakes to cupcakes no problems

AngelaDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaDay Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 3:14am
post #5 of 10

I love, love, love Italian Mer. I haven't tried Swiss though. It's great on cupcakes too. Since trying the Italian, my husband won't eat regular buttercream icing.

cgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgirl Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 3:21am
post #6 of 10

O.K. I'm a still a newbie to the cake thing even though I've "advanced" to junior member. What is the difference between Swiss and Italian merengue. Besides the apparent difference in the way you make them. Different texture? Flavor? Use? ???

cupcake55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake55 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 3:24am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

I made cupackes with the enhanced white cake recipe. I want to try one of the meringue buttercreams now. Which do you favor and why? Swiss or Italian? Thanks!

Okay, CarolAnn, What kind did you try? And what did you think?

katycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katycc Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 3:26am
post #8 of 10

i've tried both and think they are both really good. the italian is definitely harder to make, but would agree is more stable. the swiss is softer and tends to melt on me a little. maybe it is just me but i taste more of the meringue with the italian, and more of the butter with the swiss.

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 3:31am
post #9 of 10

I never tried to make the swiss, however I've always made the italian & I've never had a problem, I use it for everything icon_biggrin.gif

andrea7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andrea7 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 3:32am
post #10 of 10

I only use swiss merigue and my clients are hooked. With so many wedding cakes going out in a weekend I can only choose one cake icing. I have never had someone not like it and it so light and yummy. I want to experiment with the Italian merigue but there are not enough hours in the day to play! Andrea

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%