Sweet 16/halloween Party -- Any Ideas???

Lounge By TxBitty Updated 18 Jul 2007 , 5:41am by lynda-bob

TxBitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TxBitty Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 9

I have become addicted to this site over the last several months, and am amazed at all of the creativity of all the members here! So I have decided to ask you all for your help:

My step-daughter will turn 16 on October 30th this year. She has been anxiously waiting for her "Sweet 16" party for several years, and I am really excited about giving her one that she will always remember! The problem is with her birthday being the day before Halloween -- usually her parties are a Halloween theme, and the guests dress up (as well as my husband & I and the rest of our kids), and we have "Halloween"-type activities. But I don't think that's really appropriate for a "Sweet 16"....do you? I have been racking my brain (and the internet!) for some kind of idea for a theme for this party and I cannot come up with much of anything! She loves "stars" (as in the shape), so I thought about maybe a "Hollywood Stars" theme, where she & guests can still "dress up", but not in "costumes". ??

Do any of you highly-creative and ever-helpful members have any other ideas or suggestions for me? I would surely appreciate it -- I'm feeling stressed that I only have a few months to nail this all down....LOL!

Thanks so much!
Kristy

8 replies
TooCuteRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooCuteRose Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 9

the hollywood theme is great...
ask her what she would like and take it from there...she may love the halloween theme...

TxBitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TxBitty Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks, Rose! She actually told me that she wanted it to be a "surprise" (which is going to be difficult to do), but maybe I'll ask her anyway. It's so hard at their age -- can't be too "girlie", but not too "adult" either!

Anyone else with a suggestion??

littleredtonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littleredtonya Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 12:22pm
post #4 of 9

I think the Hollywood idea is great. Also you could do maybe a movie night theme. Or for colors go for black and pink. Or look at what her interests are such a music and stuff and maybe have somesort of disco party, or even a luau party. These are a few ideas that I came up with, I am usually not good at this sorta stuff. I do know what you are going through, my birthday is on Halloween and my partents always had a hard time putting things together.

Tonya

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 12:45pm
post #5 of 9

another vote for the Hollywood theme---

tho' I'd limit guest to "Legends from the Crypt -- Stars of the Silver Screen"

so --
star shapes all over (as in Hollywood walk of fame)

the story line could be she's a new starlet (ingenue) who's just been signed by a major movie studio (MGM say) and this is her big introduction to the public -- her debut -- just before the premier of her 1st movie:
Sweet 16.

set it in the 1930's or 1940's the height of the studio system.

her teen friends dress up like a DEAD movie star -- with emphasis on the glamorous stars (Bogart, Hepburn, Monroe, Dean, Sinatra, Crawford, Gable, Colbert, Mae West, Miller, Garland, Stewart, Bancroft, etc. and get at least two courageous guys to dress up like Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon did in Some Like It Hot!!!) -- could even limit them to having to dress like the star did in a famous movie roll (oh, couldn't that be fun -- a couple dressed like Bogie and Bergman in Casablanca -- the street vendor scene!)

you and the parents could be the studio moguls, the new reporters, gossip columnist (hedda hopper?), etc.

could do up "movie posters", etc.

HTH

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 2:45am
post #6 of 9

Masqerade ball.

Icons from old movies--grace kelly, Marilyn monroe,

horror film characters.

Doug is just so darn creative--who could ever top his ideas? icon_razz.gif I really like his!

TanuvasaMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TanuvasaMama Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 2:49am
post #7 of 9

I was thinking a masqurade as well. I always thought one of those would be so fun!

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 4:04am
post #8 of 9

maybe reality tv shows like fear factor

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 5:41am
post #9 of 9

How about a combo of Dead Hollywood? icon_razz.gif Seriously, though, what if your colors were black and white and you used the stars and hollywood angle (like clapboards and reels of film) for decorating and had the guests dress up as "dead" hollywood film stars like Monroe, Bogart, etc. but "dead" like black and white make-up?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%